Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. I think free meant like $10 lmao! I haven't gotten any made! The screen printing place has been closed! But soon my friend :D

2. Okay this is what i found, looks like oil to me. And the intake was loose, lifted right off. I like a thinnnnnnn coat of rtv on my intake gaskets. The distributor shaft has milkshake on it, and the rear water jackets were obviously leaking. I hope this was it. Guess we'll find out tmrw. Now some naked pictures of my intake runners... tell me what ya think. They had used the rubber gaskets on the ends also. I have never used those. But, I'm a firefighting bodyman, never claimed to be a wrench ;) Screenshot_20200526-171749_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200526-171751_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200526-171812_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200526-171815_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200526-171818_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200526-171820_Gallery.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  3. The last 2 pictures are 1,3,5, and 7. That's the side that seemed to be putting out the blue haze, or was it purple haze? All in my brain :cool:

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just came across this while searching for naked pictures. Not what I was expecting but what the hell, I'm here now. Sure looks like it was pulling oil past the gasket. Pretty clean otherwise.

5. Lmao!! I'm sorry man, i knew if i threw that tag in there I'd hook somebody :D I feel confident that is my problem. I can say that was the first time i pulled an intake while i prayed there would be oil in the runners and water in the lifter valley o_O

catdad49, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No naked pictures...you bastard:mad:

Sounds like it was a reasonably common mistake. ..do an initial tightening of the intake bolts...and forget to go back and torque them a final time. I hate to admit it, but I did that once. Smoked like a son-o-bitch and it "milkshaked" my oil.:(

7. I cleaned it up. I live in a small town, the only parts store closes at 5 :rolleyes: I've got a windshield to install tmrw in the big city, I'll stop in and pick up some gaskets. Hopefully no more smoke :D

loudbang, 427 sleeper and scotty t like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Your fender makes me wonder if all tri-five quarter panels came with waves, lol. My ‘56 sedan delivery had a lovely panel just like that on the passenger side. So did my Nomad.
    Clean the surfaces well and look carefully at the fit of the new gaskets, lets hope that’s all it was. I’ve found that you have to keep going around torquing the bolts several times before they stabilize. Then retorque them after a few heat cycles. It’s looking good!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  9. Wouldn't you love to know how many different guys have laid a sanding block on some of these cars lol... I'll get it decent but I'm not even gonna attempt a black car with this monster :D

hotrodjack33, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Single stage white looks good on '57's, and makes a great canvas for panel paint down the road.

loudbang likes this.
  11. I've been thinking about white. Kinda like looking at the candy bar rack in the store, can't pick just one lol. Gotta be the right color, nothing late model, and look good with the cragar's :D

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  12. You mean like this?

BB7B2BA9-2134-4EB0-9994-A74F7E745F5B.png

Attached Files:

13. Yes sir I'll take that roof rack! Free? You're a helluva guy ;)

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If it's a 1956 Chevrolet, and it does't matter what Model, or how many doors it has, white is ALWAYS the best color, IMO. My 56 Model 150 Utility Sedan (Business Coupe), Bracket Car was white with Cragar S/S rims. That 210, 4 door Wagon proves my point. My 150 was a beautiful car, and was always getting looked over in the pits and staging lanes. My Delivery is a Butternut Yellow, and it suits it well, again with Cragar S/S rims. Now, your 57 Mr. Lloyd the fireman; what about a fire department "theme"? Be sure you get a personalized license plate, "BIG HOSE".
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. loudbang

loudbang

"Hosedraggers" that is what we called our FD guys :)

16. I've been trying to picture white, with the top skin and drip rails a blue flake. Shit i don't know lol...

catdad49, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  17. I move to a different seat each shift, so depending on what day it is, I'm called a nozzle monkey or a chauffer lol

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a friendly suggestion on paint:D Quit your job and spend the next year and a half taping and masking.:p 59 Ford Wagon - Panel Paint 1  copy.jpg 59 Ford Wagon - Panel Paint 2  copy.jpg

19. Oh my lord! That's gorgeous Jack! White inner fenders.... there's a reason i don't wear white underwear these days lmao! I was gonna go crazy on this paint, but i guess i just lost that loving feeling lol, maybe I'll get time next winter and get more creative ;):D:cool:

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just bustin' ya Lloyd. I like to look at the wagon...but I wouldn't own it.
    Incidentally, still wearin' my "tidy whiteys"...yellow in the front, brown in the back:eek:;)

21. There used to be a local band called “ Guns and Hoses” made up of police and firemen. Lloyds wagon would make a good equipment hauler.

22. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Be sure to use teflon pipe dope on the intake bolts. Stops the oil and coolant migrating up the threads.

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This is the Laidlaw Trucking Fleet Blue. I really like it, and I'm sure it would be fairly affordable. Laidlaw%20Trucking%20Fleet%20Blue.jpeg

24. Yeah if i went blue that's the shade I'd go with. ;)

25. Back together :D Still a little smoke but i guess that's what's in the chambers and exhaust burning out. The stumble is gone ;) gonna let it sit here and run while i put the dash cluster back in an old truck, see if it clears out. 20200527_164731.jpg

26. Back to the body :rolleyes: 20200527_174230.jpg

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  27. Busted down with 36 on the file and 80 on a long block 20200527_175750.jpg then a coat of icing... 20200527_180314.jpg

28. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a picture of Barry Walner's and Steve Blade's Jr's. Both white with some blue accents.
    57's.jpg

29. Hell yeah man :D Killer picture, and i believe it's gonna be white. I found one online that's white, but it's got some goofy looking wheels on it and it sits up like a 4wd so it's hard to picture. Thanks a bunch :D

loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.