Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical These Manuals Aren't (No They Are) Enough

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, May 26, 2020.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What do you have in regards to 1955 and up 235 engines? These two do not a have single said spec page showing the typical stuff like H.P., Torque, Bolt Torque, Clearance, Rod and Main Sizes ect.:(.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Note, I just edited title. There are specs within, just have to find them as glossary is of no help.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Look on Ebay. Motors Manual has lots of engines And the rest for all US cars. You need a 58 or so manual

egads, Budget36 and alanp561 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have. Hard to turn pages that are not there to see if it's worth buying.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Send the seller a message and ask about condition. Ask if all the pages are there. Thumbprints on the pages just mean someone found the answers to their problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and egads like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@squirrel those are nice but like you, I like a physical book over down loads. Of the three listed the last one looks the best.

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are the best copies I could scan from my 1958 Motors Manual. There are 5 pages of specs in the front of the Chevy section. manual 001.jpg manual1 001.jpg manual2 001.jpg

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is this the front cover of what you have?
    [​IMG]

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Intersting it's the 21st edition but doesn't have 1958 written on it.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guessing cause its a reprint? Faxon's could answer any questions you have. Not that far of a drive up the 91 if you wanted to look at it first hand.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

IMHO Motors manuals are quite worth it. Depending on price of course.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My first girlfriends Dad had several edition's but nothing that late that I remember. I always liked the front end photo's by year.

17. leon bee

leon bee

A Motor's Manual of the appropriate year is ALWAYS worth having.

LOST ANGEL and Budget36 like this.
  18. I think Motors manuals are the best,,,,,usually priced around 15-20 bucks .
    Depending on the condition and years you are searching for .
    Most editions cover several years in the same manual .
    I have three of them ,,,they cover between 1940 - 1962 .
    There is a ton of information in there .
    You can shop around on the price ,,,,,I bought one for 10 bucks,,,,,the other for 16 dollars.
    The 62 edition covers from 1956-1962,,,,,it was given to me a few years ago by my dad,,,,,he wanted it to go to good use,,,,,,and yes,,,,he’s still around,,,,,,thank the good Lord !

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That won't do him one bit of good as it is 194,230, 250 and 292 only and has nothing fore a 235 or 261. I have the book on the shelf behind my chair I am sitting in and am not taking a wild guess.

The GM herritage pfd has all the info you find elsewhere as that is where they got it. You have to put out a bit of effort and hunt each bit out but it is there.
    The Motor Manuals (blue for cars) are the simplest and quickest reference for tune up and general maintenance.
    Every factory GM shop manual and any other that I have used and I have a good number have the tune up specs. in them. That 56 Supplement is just that, it only details the items that are different on a 56 than on a 55.

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This is the push needed to go page by page. I don't know if it's because the 1955 Chevrolet passenger car Shop Manual I purchased is a reprint but I found what I thought wasn't in there. The logic in how they put info within isn't as I'm accustom to seeing (specs after how to fix!?). But if I think back to my school day's. The answers were always somewhere in the back. Thanks

22. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I was wondering about that.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  23. Geezzzzzzzzzz......Crapppp - you have a bunch of guys saying buy a MOTOR's manual - most if not ALL of us saying that have one or a dozen - it's only $15 - do you need us to front you the money or send you one ? They mostly cover a few years -like average 7 to 10 yrs.......really surprised a "search" on the old computer doesn't get you what you desire......also a note - I have the manual's you posted as well.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Speak up man! I can take it. :)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Johnny I don't want to sound like I am beating up on you but time and time again you show up looking for the easy way out wanting someone else to do all the work and give you the answer so you don't have to do any work hunting it. I've lost track long ago of how may times Jim or I or one of the others have answered a very simple question that has a super easy to find answer. Don't assume that Jim (Squirrel) or myself or any of the others automatically know the answer off the top of our heads. We almost always research the answer to give you the correct answer that you could have found yourself with just a tiny bit of effort on your part.
    The Motor Manuals are the standard of the industry as far as printed books for older vehicles go. I say older because the 2 K Cad Deville I sold a few months ago left with the two volume factory service manual in the trunk that probably has a combined 3000+ pages.
    We don't mind answering honest questions as it keeps our brains active and we also often learn something in the research to answer the question.

chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@Mr48chev like I've already said to Jim. Shove my nose in it if you have to. But you didn't why? You knew the info was in the books I mentioned in post #1 so why tell it to another member rather than directly to me here?

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trappista_cheese_original.jpg

Here, a fine Cheese to go with your Whine Johnny. As I said before is that time and time again you just flat don't seem to make any effort in finding the info you need on your own and depend on others to do the research for you. This is a continual and ongoing thing. Yes I will continue to use my time to dig up the correct answers for you just as I do for others, I never give wild ass guesses and always research my answers even when I am positive I know the answer. All I am asking is that you at least make an honest effort in finding the answer rather than automatically wanting one of us to find that answer.

chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Quarantine day 60...

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I guess my buying the 2 books in post #1 before posting my question here hasn't been understood very well. Like the channels of a television and or radio. If one doesn't care for the host why tune in? Sorry to have bothered.