Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plymouth Valiant question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodzmartin, May 24, 2020.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

May I suggest you go over the front end and replace any worn parts especially rubber bushings, get a new set of heavy duty shock absorbers and a front end alignment? With some good tires like Goodyear Eagles ? You will be impressed with how well the car handles and how nice it is to drive. You don't need big tires or fancy wheels but of course, that is up to you. As long as you don't get those hokey Dub wheels and rubber band tires.

2. There is an OT (but not new) car in St Jo, MO that runs Dubs. Every time I see it my *brain shouts "Circle the wagons!!!!!"

*I have been accused of actually saying that out loud. I am sure that I did not. :D

MO54Frank and hotrodzmartin like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if changing the points on a slant six seems difficult you must be doing something wrong.... maybe there is less room in a Valiant engine compartment than my 61 Dart..?? o_O

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 63 Valiant with a 225 6 back in the 70s. It was an ugly old thing LOL. But the previous owner had the head milled. That engine actually had some balls.

I was young and stupid... and believe me... I beat on that car pretty hard. It didn't seem to care. LOL

Good luck!

stillrunners likes this.
  5. I had one it was my dad's car 64 valiant 6/170 automatic Ran Great
    when he passed I bought it from

6. This is the first time that My message went south.
    I had a 170 & commuted with it for 15 years, even Toad my Race
    Car to the Race Track a 100 miles away form the Shop
    I also would Change Engines from170 to 225 like most people change spark plugs
    the Only diff. is the Engine Pipe,
    The 225 is Longer than the 170.
    Other it was a Great Car.

Just my 3.5 sents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

hotrodzmartin likes this.
  7. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

I appreciate the input.

Rusty O'Toole - thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely check it out

8. And there's as good a reason as any to pull the distributor to change the points. Check the plastic driven gear, make sure the vacuum advance is working and lube up the advance weights and breaker plate. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  9. no55mad

no55mad

Don't lose the gas cap; they are hard to find and expensive!

Rickybop and loudbang like this.
  10. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

I will remember that!

11. jaracer

jaracer

The drive gears were plastic and broke when someone dropped one of the distributor screws inside the distributor.

12. jaracer

jaracer

FYI, the slant 6 has solid lifters and the valve need to be adjusted every 30 or 40 thousand miles.

13. GTS225

GTS225

Excuse me? All three engine sizes of the slant use the same bore and spacing, so one is not longer than the other.
    The 198 and 225 is taller than the 170, by roughly an inch. Chrysler played games with deck height, crank throw, and rod length to get the different displacements.

Let us not be spreading incorrect info.

Roger

Hnstray and stillrunners like this.
  14. GTS225

GTS225

Correct, from 1960 to 1980. In 1980, the slants got hydraulic valve trains, and a slightly different valve cover.

Roger

15. sdluck

sdluck

They had a hyper pack kit from the factory,I believe 4 barrel carb and intake,headers and a cam, I believe.I saw a full size mopar run 14 with one back in the 1970's @ Fremont.

loudbang likes this.
  16. KenC

KenC

the /six is almost indestructible. My first idiot son-in-law as driving my daughter's Dart, (valiant w/dodge badge) when it blew a radiator hose. He called for a ride. When asked how far he drove it after it got hot, he said ('til it stopped!). I pulled the head and pan, hit the cylinders with a hone, ground the valves, new rings and gaskets. It ran for more years without a problem.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  17. upspirate

upspirate

18. ... I worked on the slant six line back in the 70's where they built a shit load of those engines for 20 years ...
    ... I also hopped up a 225 slant six for my '62 valiant with a race cam ... 2 barrel carb ... electronic ignition and headers ... It would run with any stock small block V8 in my neighborhood ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  19. jaracer

jaracer

1980 and I believe 81 or 82 was the last year, pickups only.

20. YES !

21. Okay - there's been a nice brown 1963 convert on CL in Dallas - actually Grand Prairie - nice with Cragars - for a year - off and on - it's a runner that looks priced right.

22. GTS225

GTS225

You've been mis-informed. The last year was '87. '81 or'82 was the last year for a slant in cars. Pickups and vans got the slant until '87.

Seems kinda suspicious that the (3.7 L) slant was dropped about the same year the 3.0 V-6 came out, but I digress.

Roger

23. GTS225

GTS225

Was a good option, available only in '61 & '62. Mopar came out with it to compete in the then-new "Compact" Nascar class. The class was created to highlight the then new compacts available from the big 3. Ford had their Falcon, Chevy had their Chevy II, and Chrysler had the Valiant.
    The Hyper-Pak consisted of a cam & lifter package, a long ram, single four intake, (that hung the carb way out over the driver's inner fender), a Carter 4-bbl carb, and true split dual exhaust manifold(s). Anybody could order it, but the parts came in the trunk of the car. It was a dealer installed option, so not a true "factory" option.
    Chrysler took 7, (I think), of the top 10 spots for the class in the first year.

Roger

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Smokey Yunick said the slant six responded to a few bolt on modifications, more than any engine he ever saw. In reference to the hyperpak kit which increased the HP of the 170 slant six from 101 to 148, nearly a 50% increase . GTS225 describes it, but it also included a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate.
    In the NASCAR compact races the slant wiped the floor with every domestic and imported compact sedan. Typically they came in 1 -2 - 3 with the others trailing behind. So naturally they cancelled the series after 6 races.

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Their torsion bar suspension was state of the art for the times with the best ride and handling of the bunch. They are still nice driving and handling cars, light weight and fun to drive, if everything is right. A 60 year old car can be transformed from a klunk to a sweet ride just by putting everything back the way it was supposed to be, plus some really good shocks and tires.

26. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

I always removed the distributer to replace the points,thats the easy way..

Terrible80 likes this.
  27. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you guys, I really enjoy reading all your inputs and valuable information, and it is much appreciate it!

I checked it out on CL, you are right it looks like it is pretty decent car and closer to me than the one I am looking at...I may consider at looking at that one too.....:D

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    1935streetrod likes this.
  28. upspirate

upspirate

Seems like I remember that they responded well to a turbo off an Oldsmobile or Corvair also back then

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe a50merc was correct... referring to the "engine pipe"... not the length of the engine.

30. jaracer

jaracer

Not mis-informed, just bad memory. I worked at a Dodge dealership from about 75 - 84. Although it doesn't seem like it, that has been 36 years ago. But I do remember the slant 6 as being almost indestructible. Only saw one fail and it threw a rod.