Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘34 Ford Sedan Eldonius Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eldonius, Apr 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Lots of difference between 32 & 34 rails. And a lot more vendors for the Deuces.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Tomastudor

Tomastudor

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Tom Bay from Arkansas City , Ks has frame rails, and all the Patch panels you need to fix your car,
    He makes all the 33-34 parts that Howels sell, Give him a call 620 441 7432

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

You frame rails look really bad. Youll be ahead to go aftermarket frame or frame rails than to try to repair those.

I don't know if JW Garage has 34 Rails, but I can see that Speedway has them for $774 plus shipping. IF Tom Bay from Arkansas City , Ks has them and I see someone else recommended them, try that route. I'm assuming that like most of the repo parts out there, there is only 1 or 2 companies that actually stamp the parts and they sell them to different vendors, which sell them as their own. So Id go whichever you find that look decent and can ship reasonably priced.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1933-34-Ford-Reproduction-Frame-Rails,22074.html

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Eldonius like this.
  5. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

Ya, you are right. The outer rail isn’t even worth considering for repair. Where the running board gap was to the body created the perfect haven for a rust fest. Figure I’ll get the outer rails off, blast the X and cross-members, and assess the path forward. I think everything else is fine....but sometimes blasting creates unpleasant revelation. Thanks for following this build and providing perspective. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 343w

343w

Sent a PM for a frame on Parts Classified to you, good luck!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

[​IMG] IMG_4540.JPG

Question. Actually two questions. First, why is there a key lock on the passenger door, but not on the driver door? Second, it appears that most rodders just removed or removed/filled the lights on the cowl. Is this indeed the case?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Ford USA and LHD countries only did the door lock on the pass side as it was so people would exit on the safe side.The Ford's in RHD countries had the lock on the drivers side. The cowl lights as well as the right side tail light were included on the Deluxe models.Deluxe's also had an in dash ashtray and cigarette lighter.I have a '33 std tudor and no cowl lights,single horn,no ash tray or lighter.I did add the second sunvisor as it only came with a single.

Attached Files:

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

There was only a lock on the passenger side. Most guys don't run cowl lights unless is an 80's style resto rod.

chryslerfan55, 33Doll and loudbang like this.
  10. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the history! How was exiting on the passenger side considered unsafe? Wouldn’t this be the curb side and the driver side would be opening next to passing traffic? I’m missing something here. I’m guessing most hot rodders just left the door lock intact. Were deluxe model cowl lights filled, or were deluded just not common to be turned into hot rods?

11. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

Was scratching my head about the one sided door lock...at first wondering if it wasn’t an original door or something . Thinking I’ll just fill the cowl light hole as it would have been on a standard and nothing about keeping it seems consistent with a hot rod as I look through reams of old pictures and learn the history. I wasn’t born until ‘74 so this all occurred well before my time, so I appreciate the history lessons from the HAMB

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Eldonius and loudbang like this.
  13. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The pass side was the safe or curb side.So when all exited the door was then locked if so desired.On the left side you lift the handle up on the inside to lock the drivers door.Kind of a pain in today's world as I would always ask my wife to pull the handle up inside ,then I walk around to lock the door after she got out. Roadsters and Phaeton's do not have the door lock so they never locked. Since you were born in 1974,here is a pic of the '34 roadster I built in '74.I was 30 then.

Attached Files:

14. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

Wow! That’s a great looking car! Congratulations on making the cover...and thanks for teaching me as I’m just a young pup!

15. Yes, that is correct.

16. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

Got the fuel tank pulled. Got a pretty good dent in the bottom. I’m planning on an aftermarket stainless tank. Would there be any value in this tank for someone else do you think? Or, should I just scrap it? What about the rear shocks...would someone want them do you think? [​IMG][​IMG]

17. 33Doll

33Doll

Hey! Wait a minute there Pal!...
    Oh. Yeah... mine was an 80’s Resto-Rod! Well... a modified original, in the 80’s! Although I’m gonna keep the cow light so I have front turn signals.
    Plus they look cool at night as Park lamps!

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

As long as you don't paint it two tone brown and brown you will probably be ok. Lol.

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

If that tank isn't rusted through it still has value. I have a very nice original but am running an aftermarket steel tank because I didn't want to cut up the old one.

Eldonius likes this.
  20. Dirk35

Dirk35

I think you can get the aftermarket tanks that have a little deeper bottom and hold a couple of extra gallons of fuel. Ive ran out of gas a few times cause neither have a working fuel gauge.

Both my 34 and my Model A (with 1932 tank on it) have Vintique tanks.
    1934 Rear end pic.JPG 1928 Ford Sedan Rear.JPG

21. 34Larry

34Larry

Yes that is the case.
    They were removed, holes filled on mine when I got it in '95 but Drake has great reproductions, I like them and wanted my 34 hi boy to be different. Rod and Custom's Brain B. said in his column one time, "Hi-boys NEVER should have cowl lights". I just love braking the rules and in addition to being my turn signals they look great IMO, and since I'm the only one who counts on that matter they look even greater. :cool:

22. 33Doll

33Doll

Like this? I think ill do that, and put dual cowl lamps, each side just for
    Shits, and grins!

Adjustments.JPG

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I just puked in my moth a bit! Lol

33Doll and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. 33Doll

33Doll

Bwwahhhaaaa!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

We’ve got the engine out now. Front crossmember is in bad shape around the motor mounts. Restorable I suppose, though I’m going to post a want ad here on the HAMB and see if someone has one for a reasonable price. Outer rails will be replaced. Inner rails will need some restoration in a few places, but I think can be saved.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have a really nice front crossmember but shipping might be expensive

loudbang likes this.
  27. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

Ya, bummer. BC is a hecka long ways from here.

28. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

A guy would figure that with the whole Covid shutdown and tons of free labor (how many kids?) Eldo would be making huge progress. I just hate to check in on a build thread and not see any progress. Hope all is well, post soon.

29. clem

clem

Interesting, that Europe was like that, something I hadn’t noticed, as in New Zealand, always been right hand drive, the door locks are on the passenger (left) door. (Thought Argentina was the same).

loudbang likes this.
  30. Eldonius

Eldonius
    from Louisiana

I know, right? Well...a couple of issues. First, it’s July in South Louisiana and absolutely stifling to be in the garage without A/C. Also progress pending with some potential work changes that may require relocation. So, right now looking to resume progress in October. Thanks for checking in though!