Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CPP 400 series vs 500 series box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kruckyou, May 25, 2020.

1. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Does anyone know the difference between the CPP 400series power steering conversion vs the 500series?
    This will be going on a 56chevy truck with 4” drop axle and 3” lowering leaf springs. Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Any fist hand experience between the 2?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you using the kit to mount the box in front of the axle? I see a 500 series box CP50014 for a 67/87 C-10 but not a direct bolt on conversion for a 56.
    As for 400 box it seems that this one is supposed to work https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cp50006c/applications In the stock location. That is a Vega based box that some may see as a bit undersized for a TF truck though.

The setup I was thinking about and a lot of guys use is the https://www.classicperform.com/Store/1960_1972_Chevy_Truck/4759PSK-S500.htm
    That uses a C/K 10 box and is pretty stout.

4. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have the 400 series on my 1/2 ton Dodge and it works well.

- EM

Kruckyou likes this.

5. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Is the 400 series steering box more of a generic term they use? With in the link you posted the description says 400 or 500 series box?

6. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

So far I figured out the suspension for the truck. I just want to make sure I purchase a quality P.S. kit before I send out my axle and components to sids drop axles.
    Thank you

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I have been planning on the same operation. Will you be using the original column or a replacement one?

Hot Rod Magazine wrote up a nice article on the 400 for the TF truck:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/power-steering-for-straight-axles/

*** You might have some challenges with steering angle because you’re dropping your spindles and dropping springs another three inches.

**If you haven’t decided on shocks yet I will say Bilstein shocks on our trucks will change your life.

8. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

At the moment I plan on using my stock column. Though if I find a column for a good price I’ll consider that. I currently have a floor shifter and I kinda want it back on the column! I currently run bilstein shocks on my Cummins and I’m most definitely a believer in them. I won’t run any other shock.

59Apachegail likes this.
  9. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

I have no clue what after market column I’d use.

10. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

There was just a thread where a hamber adapted a 53/54 Chevy car automatic column shifter and lime works linkage kit on his auto TF. I will go that direction myself. It looks clean and original if that is your thing.

If you do go that direction you just need to find the top part of the shifter. All the rest will fit on a 3 speed column shifter. I tried and thought the manual handle is longer and the shifter tube is shorter you can overcome those obstacles.
    C5A01BD7-1947-45B0-9BD4-8BBBEA33CE5E.jpeg
    B5F6CFAB-D01B-4CAB-8C80-57F0BD538A36.jpeg F33C0308-7881-4DBB-A187-19B81944A33A.jpeg

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Would you be able to forward that info to me? I’m very interested in that. I like hot rodded stuff that looks stock! Although I’m very interested in swapping out my day for a 62-65 no a dash. It matches the fleet side bed from a 58-59.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1106clt-1959-chevy-apache-dash-install/

59Apachegail likes this.
  12. donsz

donsz

I have a 1957 NAPCO pickup (3600 but with 1/2 ton NAPCO configuration). I used the CPP kit number CLP-CPP5559PSKAC. I also installed the appropriate IDIDIT column using a universal joint instead of the rag joint supplied, because my 348 motor/exhaust had clearance problems. I also bought a chrome Saginaw power steering pump (chrome goes faster) from performance-on-line. Also don't forget the pump brackets if needed, and if you have turn signals, the harness adapter kit. I ordered the box and column from Summit because they were cheaper than buying directly from the associated vendors (see below). Assuming you don't have clearance problems like I did, install is pretty straight-forward. Mine works great, in fact I was so amazed at how well it works, I should have done this from the beginning.
    don
    FYI: I like the IDIDIT column for looks (again chrome), turn signals are well engineered, not like the stock equipment, and the horn on the custom steering wheel (extra) doesn't wobble around like the original. With the IDIDIT column no modifications need to be made to the steering column connection to the box, as opposed to if you use the stock column.

From Summit Racing
    CLP-CPP5559PSKAC Power Steering kit $548.99
    IDT-1120652020 IDIDIT floorshift steering column $640.43
    IDT-3100035785 ididit Steering Column Harness Adapter Kits $39.57

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2020-5-26_9-1-21.png
    A 500 series box is more robust than the lighter 400 series and better suited IMHO to heavier vehicles, more so a PU. You'd be pushing the limits with too small a box, it may work however a heavier box would be a safer than a failure.
    Never skimp on brakes, steering or suspension and always err on the side of caution. It's better to be over engineered than under engineered.

14. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Thank you. I’ll have to look in to that. For me a new steering column isn’t my first priority, though I would like one. If I don’t spend the money on rear disc brake kit for a stock rear end I’ll get the column. I’m only considering going that route because I don’t want to buy a new brake booster and crawl under the truck to replace it later for a disc disc master cylinder vs disc drum. To me it’s easier to work on the truck vs under the truck.
    Has any one ran a power steering cooler for one of the CPP kits?

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm running hydroboost on my 46 Olds which requires PS pressure; I added an inline filter and a small cooler to reduce heat. Just me I guess.

16. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

I couldn’t agree more. I’m huge believer in mechanical failure. Years ago I was driving my 72 blazer down the freeway, missed the merge for another freeway. Took the next exit to do a U-turn. Started slow down while approaching a red light. I hear a clunk...... light turns green begin to turn and I keep going straight. Tie rod end snapped on me. Lost all steering. Had to leave it in the middle of a busy intersection till a tow truck showed up

17. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

I’m thinking about running a cooler because the box looks like it’ll be very close.

18. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

One more question for you guys, has anyone ever considered running a track bar for one of these trucks? I wonder if making one with heim joints and DOM tubing would do any good.

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Some later, from memory, 40's Cadillacs ran rear parallel leaf springs with a track bar which pushes the rear axle to one side during compression. Length of bar dictstes movement due to shallow or wide arc. If you're concerned with lateral movement I'd personally use a Watts's linkage with leaf springs. Later Chevy trucks used trailing arms with a panhard bar.
    https://www.turnology.com/tech-stories/brakes-suspension/differences-panhard-bar-watts-link/
    [​IMG]

Kruckyou and X38 like this.
  20. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

I’ve been thinking a watts link for the rear end. Maybe build a track bar for the front Similar to ford F-series trucks with front leaf springs!

21. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

22. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

59Apachegail likes this.