Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hope for the future: found a kid like me yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, May 22, 2020.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like most of us old guys I was fascinated with cars from an early age. I got mine first one at 13. I'm almost retired now, but my wife and I put on horse events and yesterday a family comes into our place where we're running horse event and this young kid jumps out of the truck and runs over to look at an OT 87 944 Porsche that's been sitting in the weeds for at least 10 years. Its a long story as to why its just been sitting but I'm an old hoarder and since I bought it new I just couldn't let it go. So I watch this kid go around and around the car, opening the doors, checking out everything he could. So I get up and walk over there and ask him if he knows what it is. He says "you bet, its a Porsche". So I showed him the engine and told him a little about it. This morning his family was out on the trail with the horses and he had a pan of water and was going over the car giving it its first bath in over ten year. It brought back a lot of memories of how some of the old guys back in the fifties helped me out, so I go out this afternoon and ask him how old he is. Turns out he's 13. I was suddenly inspired to just give it to him. Makes me feel good knowing there is a kid out there with an interest in fixing up an old car instead of sitting inside playing with video games. The light in his eyes and the grin on his face is worth more that the few bucks I would have ever gotten out of it. Maybe passing on our never to be finished projects will keep a kid out of trouble and our hobby alive.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That is so cool.
    You lit the fire in that kid that will never go out.
    Keep in touch with him and his folks.

slim38, rbrewer, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  3. khead47

khead47

Good on Ya !

loudbang, Thor1, weps and 1 other person like this.
  4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That was a fantastic gesture. Things like this don’t happen very often, thanks for doing something like that!

5. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel the same about the kid across the street. He didnt show any interest for my old cars while growing up. But when he got his first (OT) car I noticed him and his buddies washing and detailing their cars 2 and 3 times a week! No video games for them. Then I had a deja vu moment. That was me and my buddies hanging at the Texaco. It was such a great moment.

rbrewer, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  6. Super nice move! That's the kind of gesture that is gonna keep our thing going into the future. I too was gut hooked on cars as a little kid and fondly remember every older neighborhood hot rodder that tolerated me and a couple of my friends hanging around on our Stingray bikes asking lots of probably dumb questions.

7. BJR

BJR

That is absolutely the greatest thing I heard today.

rbrewer, racer-x, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  8. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

loudbang, Thor1, weps and 2 others like this.
  9. I liked cars before I moved to California in April 1956. I had already subscribed to Car Craft, and Rod and Custom before moving west. When we moved to San Francisco, my neighbor across the street, Joe Carlomagno, was a member of the San Francisco Ramblers. He took me under his wing, and he was a great mentor for me. I am now 79 years old, and Joe is almost 90 years old, and he still has and drives his 1932 Ford roadster. Because of Joe, I try to get the younger kids interested in hot rods, and customs. Passing the torch is important for me and them.

10. That's so cool brother! You're a great guy ;) never know how much your actions probably changed that boys life and future! ;)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Two thumbs up for a kind and rare gesture.

Thor1 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  12. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Good story & Happy for both of you

loudbang, Thor1 and Driver50x like this.
  13. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Broken cam belt?

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  14. You are a great person. We need to do everything we can to get tools into the hands of our kids and young people. My nephew (O/T 1996 F-150), and his best friend (adopted nephew,O/T 1976 C-10) are hooked car guys. They can’t afford anything H.A.M.B. friendly yet, but the die is cast. My adopted nephew works at the local Chevy dealer and is going to tech school in the GM program. We need to foster and mentor these kids.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. indyjps

indyjps

Thats awesome. What's the major malfunction with the porsche, how did it end up sitting. Broken, or just fed up?

I think every car guy in town knew me when I was 8-13. Most of them told me to get outta here. High school opened the door to many garages, I was IN.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great.

Maybe he'll do something similar in 2070. Only it'll be a kid on an anti gravity hoverboard and the car will be a 2027 Chevy Blink or something.

"You know what that is, boy?"
    "Yes sir... that's one of those petroleum powered cars."

17. Good for you, and the best thing I heard today.
    Kind of related, I had built a complete custom mini bike chopper many years back. But it has been sitting many years due to broken chain. I gave it to my nephew and he was so stoked to be able to cruise around his neighborhood. Funny thing is he is 32 and a cop. He never learned much mechanical skills as a kid. The mini chopper is great learning for him. Like OP, made me feel good giving it away to someone who appreciates it.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

18. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually it ran when it was parked and might still run now with fresh gas and battery. The fuel pump went bad and I was working out of state. My mother was driving it and I had her park it and just never got around to it again. I told the kid to change the cam belt before anything else as I have had several of those cars and its ugly when those belts break. They are great little cars but I've reverted to my hot rod days and the foreign stuff just doesn't interest me any more. I did toy with the idea of putting a flathead in it just for the hell of it. Then I sobered up and shelved that idea. Every once in a while I thought I should figure out some way to take it to the salt but its in a better place now.
    [QUOTEBroken cam belt? Not now but I wouldn't trust it for a second

[QUOTE What's the major malfunction with the porsche, how did it end up sitting. Broken, or just fed up?

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Pay it forward x 1000!

20. cool on you !

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. What is the chance the parents can drop the kid off so both of you can work on it?

Just Gary likes this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or help muck out the horse stalls? Haha;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much, they live a long ways away. His dad will help and I'm available by phone and email. Plus the family shows up at our horse rides quite often.

24. chargin03

chargin03

He will never forget you.

Just Gary likes this.
  25. Good on ya!:cool:
    This might also be a great opportunity to clean out your garage: Give him some spare parts, tools, magazines, etc that you don't need but would be a *huge* windfall for him. :)

26. 392

Good stuff

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great way to "pay it forward". And although you don't expect anything in return, the "universe" always seems to give you back twice as much as you gave. If more folks would figure this out, it would be a better world.

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A simple gesture and you've affected that 13 year old for the rest of his life and in a good and positive way.

An excellent example of paying it forward and kudos to you for such an awesome act !!

29. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Your generosity will be never forgotten by that young
    man (along with the rest of us here on the HAMB) !