Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods IMAGES OF "THE GOOD OLD DAYS"- OUR MISSPENT YOUTH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 21, 2020.

1. 392

Never mind just keep typing. And yeah I get it and yeah I read it.

2. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

3. I've been there and done that, I suspect most of us have been. HRP

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My youth was not misspent, I spent 90% of my money on hotrods................the rest I wasted.

5. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

That gentleman on the right sure looks like a young Al Unser.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  6. The guy on the left is Junior Johnson back when he was running moonshine. HRP

7. j3harleys

j3harleys

The gas back then didn't taste near as bad as this new stuff.:(

8. Lots of people have run out of gas in my driveway even me. LOL

Not many pics of my misspent youth around. My avatar is a pic of my misspent middle age. LOL

Here is a pic from, well its a pic.

blood run.jpg

9. CME1

CME1

I Don't know if it was misspent or not but the year was 1957, I was 15 years old sitting on the front tire of my '34 Ford cp. I thought It was 'COOL'! 003.jpg

10. Ron Funkhouser, Stogy and rbrewer like this.
  11. No photos here, they could be used as evidence... although I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out by now...

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please tell us more about that indeed Very COOL Hotrod @CME1. Now Stogy's gonna use his Gleaned Hotrod skills and say at a minimum the Grille is a 33 as it is curved and the surround is thin also common to 33...in fact the whole car may be. It doesn't matter in the least to me as I want it in my Garage...Dreaming...:)...I'm just noting the what we're seeing here in our Hamb front seats and that is So Cool...15 years old and you had that to heck with motor sounds...I'm thinking it was under 200 bucks back then...but yeah that beats the ole bicycle don't it?

I sure hope you got to enjoy it for a while and if you still had it, that would be wowfully awesome...

Thanks for sharing that priceless Shot Hotrodder...;)...Do you remember what finger that was you were flipping...:D

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

I didn't have much misspent time as a youth. From about the time I became a teenager I had dreams and goals and I worked very hard to react them. Along the way I bailed a few friends out of their misspent youth, but I wasn't involved, I was working while they were misspending their time. I guess someone had to be there to bail them out, and that guy was me. I spent a lot of time working on cars and learning how they functioned. I worked on several local dirt track race cars, I worked on my friends cars, I worked on my cars, I worked at a gas station and worked on customers cars. At nights and weekends I would do motor and transmission swaps for the boss at the gas station. After the gas station, I worked at an auto center store and had my own auto repair shop after hours. I was a motivated guy.
    Hindsight tells me I probably should have set higher goals for myself then I did, but its hard to see that while your living it. Gene

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have so many misspent youth stories of pranks and tom foolery that I don't dare to get started. My best bud's Dad when I was a kid told every body what a ornery little bastard I was, just because I put rocks in his hub caps and stuck a potato in his tail pipe a few times. I had fun and never got in too much trouble though.

dana barlow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. Colin HD

Colin HD

2009-11-27_149.JPG 2009-11-27_150.JPG

It looked good at the time!! - HONEST!

16. Colin HD

Colin HD

Upgraded to a Cheby.
    2009-11-27_60.JPG 2009-11-27_63.JPG 2009-11-27_267.JPG

Simpler times, had so much fun, didn't care what we did, but never really caused trouble or hurt anyone.

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-26_3-33-17.png 1957 Long Beach...51 Olds in the garage.
    Hello,
    Definition of misspent youth
    : the time when one is young and doing things that are not considered wise or proper

Not that we were doing something not considered wise or proper. (although my mom would have argued this point to deaf ears…) This is where it started in 1953 and beyond. The new house for us was a tract home with plenty of yard for a couple of brothers growing up. It was a small house with two bedrooms and one bathroom. Probably no larger than 900 sq. ft. Being in the Westside of Long Beach has bad connotations, but back then, it was a great place to grow up and be happy.

Plus, it was what we called being right in the middle of industrial/residential area of Long Beach with all of the myriad of manufacturers in automotive, boating and marine supplies. Plus, there were a bunch of junkyards the closer we got to Terminal Island and its fun locale. The ocean was almost 3 miles away by bus, car or a public walkway on top of the LA River. The schools were always walking distance away and when it was high school, it was a two mile car ride. So, even though we were on the outskirts of Long Beach, as far West as possible for the city limits, beyond our first yard was Wilmington,CA.
    upload_2020-5-26_3-34-8.png

Those teenage friends of my brother were nice to me growing up. We all were locked into teenage things, with the hot rods or cruisers being front and center. Since I had an older brother, what he did, I usually followed or learned from his teachings. Sometimes it was a chore for him as my mom would not give him a choice to show me or take me along somewhere.

So, if a hot rod was being torn down or repaired, my brother had to take me along for the ride. (and experience for me…) I was handy as I knew most of the sizes of tools and what they were used for, so when the call was out to find a ¾ wrench to get a nut or two off of something, I knew where it was located. I also got to ride in some cool hot rods from those older guys.
    upload_2020-5-26_3-34-50.png
    For some, the hot rod/cruising scenes were few and far between. Our teen years were barely documented as we did not want to be on camera and also cameras were not the most popular thing for teenagers. Although there are photos still hanging around a lot of family albums that have not been uncovered from back in those times and places. For the most part, it was lucky to have someone in the family that had an inkling of wanting to take photos. My dad recorded as much as possible with his huge camera and we did not have those small box cameras, either.

Jnaki

Thank you, James, for starting my involvement in hot rods, cruisers, building and tearing down things mechanical until I could do it all by myself. Those are memories that cannot be erased until there are only clouds in the sky.
    upload_2020-5-26_3-35-40.png These are photos, of part of our lives, that were spent doing things we liked and our teenage days were used well. As teenagers, our world expanded and we met a larger group of friends. We were good kids from good families and for the most part, law abiding citizens.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Will say I never had to siphon gas, had a good job and gas was cheap, 5 gallons for a buck at bulk gas stations Milwaukee Wi. 1964. But, I and a small group of punky street racers whom the auto shop teacher got our school lot parking permits revoked for various stupid stuff we did, we had to park on street near school, so we spent better part of school year taking turns adding, then siphoning gas from auto shop teachers new Ford Thunderbird, drove him crazy because of the erratic gas mileage. The subject came up regular in class as he was a perfectionist type man. It all ended when he installed a locking gas cap and did tell the class, pretty good prank, you had me going, as the service manager at the dealership figured it out. I might have matured some that year and apologized to him after I was removed from his shop class for a fight in shop wing hallway, the crap we gave teachers was uncalled for. I should have went back after some years and thanked him, finished an apprenticeship (Tool & Die Maker), married, kids, home, my own business as he was one of many positive influence on my life. So to all you men that were teachers, You did make a difference in many kids lives and I Thank You for your efforts. Sorry HRP, I got off topic, no pictures of stealing gas, just some 18 year old punk kid, the stories of the gas stealing brought this memory up.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Formative Years..Still Forming... 58675142_2296989867291948_1348368565551497216_n.jpg .

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Couple of my partners in crime at a campout car show. 614.jpg

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Memories! In High School we had a class mate we called Snail. Snail like this look so to this day when I see one on the streets I have to yell out Snail Mobile!.
    [​IMG]

23. One of me { B.S. } before sawsaw's. And teaching the wife how to check the oil, and change a tire. 371.jpg 121.jpg 320.jpg 322.jpg

24. The races and kids getting busted are the "River Road' off Forest lawn Drive, a short run from Bobs Toluca Lake.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. abc123

abc123

[​IMG]
    Here I am in 1966 with the one-and-only pic of my Fisher Body Craftsman Guild entry...and the camera strap was in front of the lens. I'm still building model cars but never did much with 1:1 HAMB-friendly cars.

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here I am in 1956, getting ready to take my Roadster out for a spin. img20180416_15445465.jpg