Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Getting started

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by asawman, Mar 31, 2019.

1. asawman

asawman

It really is hard to get started. All the kids are out of the house now and I'm looking forward to getting started.
    Bought a 64 Comet hdtp in 07 and it's been sitting since. Purchased ALL the glass stuff from Crites in 14 and 15.
    Got the car started again a week ago so I can pull it in and out of the shop. I hope to keep moving ahead each week and posting pics. I really appreciate Mike Thomas's thread and want to keep striving to meet his degree of detail. 20190331_210527.jpeg 20190331_210753.jpeg 20190331_210539.jpeg 20190330_212743.jpeg

Sent from my LG-LS998 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It looks like a nice place to start, go to Staples and get one of those easy buttons and see if that helps.:)
    If you still need motavation head for a dragstrip as soon as one opens, that always gets me :D moving.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Just like eating an elephant. ONE bit at a time.
    Looks like a great car. Do a little each day and you’ll get it done.

4. asawman

asawman

My uncle that got me into cars early on and has built many very nice ones told me "do a little each day and soon you'll only have a little left to do"

5. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like a good body to start with.

6. Yeah, looks really solid. I like to get the brakes and suspension working good first, then all the lights and wiring. Then I like to get the engine/trans/rear end working properly and drive that sucker around for a few months or a year. If I still love the car I'll spend money on paint and interior.
    BTW, my car still has primer and no interior but I drive the be-Jesus out of it. Oh, and buy the tires you intend to run last so they don't "time out" while your still working on it.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  7. asawman

asawman

I do want to drive it a bit. I have a couple other vehicles that need work done.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I’ll take it off your hands!! Thanks for the mention, keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  9. asawman

asawman

If anyone else were to get it, it would be you. Ordered a wiring diagram yesterday. The wiring is a mess. Suggestions anyone? Taillight plugs are trash. Trunk wiring everywhere. No gauges and that wiring is a birdsnest. BUT it starts and runs and charges the battery.
    Again. Any suggestions? Thanks to all of you.

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

One at a time LOL. Trace them back and if you find any breaks replace the whole wire with as close to stock wire color you can find. Make notes so you can tell the next owner what you did.

11. asawman

asawman

It'll probably be my son. He'd appreciate that wouldn't he.

loudbang likes this.
  12. asawman

asawman

Not much tonight. Printed some pictures to cut the quarters. Fortunately I'll be removing the bad rust too. Gonna start chasing wires tomorrow night. Need running lights and brake lights.
    Why do the FX cars have no back up lights? They have lenses with 3 red lights.

loudbang likes this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your gonna need a buldge on the pass side rear of the hood to clear that battery. :D

loudbang likes this.
  14. asawman

asawman

Check the pic with the battery in the trunk. It did pose a problem turning right though

loudbang likes this.
  15. My 64 has wiring from a 65 falcon, due to the switch over from generator to Alternator and the brake switch changed from the pressure sender on the master cylinder to the pedal. and the 65 wiring harness I got from a donor was in good shape. The underhood wiring is reproduced and I used the reproduction wiring with the factory wiring. You could probably find a decent one out of another car. Or you can go to Ron Francis or Rebel wiring... those are the two I’m debating with on my 55 Victoria

loudbang likes this.
  16. asawman

asawman

I was headed in the same direction. Thought about a 65 Mustang loom.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lol. I was just going to ask how long have you had your car:p ?

loudbang likes this.
  18. asawman

asawman

Got a complete 65 Mustang wiring for it. Haven't even driven it around the yard lately. Still cleaning. Finished the rotesserie for my 65 fastback.

loudbang likes this.
  19. asawman

asawman

Had my 65 since 1978 but haven't driven it since 86 when I got into Street rods. Now the boy and my wife are anxious for the Mustang to be driveable again so the Comet is being relegated to a parts gitter. It's ok. At least the Comet's not getting parked again.

loudbang likes this.
  20. ..

Was at the body shop for 8 years and another 1.5 years at my home garage before I turned a tire. I knew the height of the tires I was going to buy before I bought them. Set the suspension up for 24-25" on the front and 30-31" for the rear....I didn't buy tires until I knew I'd be driving the car soon...

chryslerfan55, fiveoh108 and loudbang like this.
  21. Any update on this build??

loudbang likes this.
  22. asawman

asawman

Only that my son came over this past weekend and we hooked the battery up and drove it around the yard. He's really after me to get my Mustang back together before my birthday in October. That's what we've been working on. Have a new floor pan for it. The Ford v Ferrari movie got us more motivated to do the 65. I noticed you're working on a Comet if I'm understanding the comments. How's that going?

Sent from my SM-N975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, fiveoh108 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Just finished the floor pan metal work, now I just need the rollbar, seal, prime, paint

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  24. asawman

asawman

I aspire to get things done for myself the way you do. Three grown kids with homes of their own and my wife tend to pull me away.

fiveoh108 likes this.
  25. I have a 2, 4 and 12 year old. I feel you on the other responsibilities , I make them help me. If I include them, then they are more willing to let me work!

26. asawman

asawman

Mine were raised the same way. I know yours are going pick up some good habits that way. Mine are coming around. Love to see a picture or two of yours.

fiveoh108 likes this.
  27. asawman

asawman

Got a little done today. Found some SC sand in the previously folded up lip on the Driver side with actual rust on the inner panel. (Shocking, I know). Yes the tire actually fits now. Going to get the bottom lip pulled out so its straight up and down not beveled in. Thanks Mike Thomas for checking on me. 20200607_211814.jpeg 20200607_211800.jpeg 20200607_205513.jpeg

fiveoh108 likes this.
  28. Do you have new wheel lips or are you going to alter it forward?

29. asawman

asawman

Trying to do this. Screenshot_20200611-202424_Photos.jpeg