Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3 Window Ford - A collection of memories past and present.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TheDaelen, May 18, 2020.

1. TheDaelen

TheDaelen

Hey yall,

Username is new, but have been lurking on here for many years, but never really had anything to add until now.

I recently brought home a car that for me was the start of my interest in hot rods, and figure what better place to share than here. Although I have more history on the car than most, I would love to hear from anyone that may know the car more.

As stated in the title, the car is a 1934 Ford 3 Window coupe. From the history I know, and can gather the car spent much of its early life in the San Diego, CA area dating back to around 1963. At that time it was owned by a man by the name of Mike, who was one of my uncles best friends at the time. I have some photos of the car around that era, as it sat, getting worked on, and a good bit to reference when I am getting nostalgic. The car has spent the last 30 or so years in San Jose, CA belonging to my uncle and this is where it came into my life. Born and raised in MN, we did not make it out there often, but we always heard the stories of the cars, and the garage. This was not lost on me even at a young age. Around 2000 we were finally on our way out there, and being the young lad that I was I could not wait to see all the big boy toys.

IMG_5024.JPG

Fast forward, we make it to the house, and I am like a kid in a candy store, that candy just so happens to be a large collection of Hot Rods all done "The right way". 32's, Model As, 34's, 40s, Sedans, Coupes, Roadsters, with a Lincoln, Corvair, and a Nash tossed in for good measure. Everywhere you turn, there is a cool car, a rare part, something sharp you should play with, it was a kids heaven. But, to this day I remember the 34, and the impact that full fender beauty left on me. Now, no one in the family other than my uncle ever seemed to "Get it", "Why isnt this painted?", "Where is all the interior?", "Man these are loud". But I remember from the moment I laid eyes on it, I got it, I understood, the feeling that car gave me was never replicated.

Move on about 10 years, we still dont see him much, but we keep in touch, we talk, we exchange stories (His were always better), and we continue our lives. Now although I was struck with the Hot Rod bug at a young age, sadly my budget, and skill set set me off on the ever so common path of the import performance world. Building, tuning, selling, repeat. Around this time I have built a few cars, and am now lucky enough to have my "Dream Job" working in the automotive aftermarket. I finally have my place at the table. I still talk to my uncle often, he was an avid racer at Bonneville, and I was always excited to hear what new changes the car was going under, and how could I help with any little tidbit of knowledge I may be able to transfer from my few years doing all this.

This relationship continued, and we always kept in touch, to talk cars, to bull shit, and whatever else. A few more visits here and there, and every time I would find myself standing in the garage staring at the 34. To this day, I sadly never got the full story on the car, only bits and pieces, as the story always changed just a little.

Sadly my uncle passed away a few years ago, leaving quite the legacy and collection behind. None of his direct family, and sadly no one extended other than me really ever had any interest in the cars, the parts, or the general collection of cool stuff. So, as is the story for many, plans were set in place to begin selling it all to people who would enjoy it. I was lucky enough to have a very close friend that lived in the area, and helped us out greatly with identifying, listing, and selling many of the cars, parts, and collectibles he had, and all to good owners that will enjoy them as my uncle had. Now, back to the 34. I was able to work out a deal with the family to purchase this car, and keep it in the family. If I could, I would have purchased them all, but this was the one that meant the most to me.

Here are some pictures (Of pictures) I have of the car, only one dated is 1963, so I have to make the assumption that most are around that era. Anyone ever seen these before? Do you know these kids? I would love to hear the stories.

IMG_5004.JPG IMG_5005.JPG IMG_5006.JPG IMG_5005.JPG IMG_5007.JPG IMG_5034.JPG IMG_5023.JPG IMG_5022.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5016.JPG IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5014.JPG IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5010.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5008.JPG

Now, here is the car as I picked it up last week. Took a one man road trip from MN, to San Jose with the much needed stop on the salt flats. The body is the same as pictured back in 63, interior is mostly the same also(Need to re-do the seat to match). Chassis is a more modern Pro-Street style with disc brakes in the front, leaf front suspension, 4-Link rear with coilovers and a 9". Engine is a Smeding built 383" from what I can find, and the trans is a TH350. I sadly dont have any build records, so just trying to go off what I see, and what I can find in pictures. Trying to see if I can track down who built it, but I fear they are also gone to.

IMG_4737.JPG
    IMG_4818.JPG IMG_4865.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4966.JPG

If you have made it this far, thank you. Its nice to put this all down into one spot after all these years. Plans are to get the car up and running (As far as I know, ran before he passed away), go though it all to make sure its road ready, and start putting on the miles. I plan to keep the car as is, and only make changes in the name of driving it more if needed.

Id like to get it ready for the long trip out to the Salt Flats for speed week next year, should be easy but you never know.

Let me know your thoughts on all this, the car, the story, or tell me to fuck off. All is welcome here. Im sure ill have questions about stuff as I dig in deeper.

Enjoy
    -Daelen

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Awesome !....This is the kind of stuff that lights the fire !.... Thank you for posting !

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 343w

343w

Great story on a legendary hot rod, thanks for sharing the history of the car and yours and your uncles past with the 34. Best of luck with the project and keep us posted on your progress!

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a great looking 34 with some really cool history. Awesome that you're fortunate to be the caretaker and keep it in the family! Thanks for sharing!

5. Sounds like your uncle's car has passed to the right person!

alanp561 likes this.
  6. Remember the old adage - keep it simple.....they drove these style cars out to the salt back in the day - like the 50's - no reason it wouldn't make it out there with a simple WELL put together drive train. You could trailer it....but where's the fun in that ? Good luck with it - he will be riding with you.........

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Binkman

Binkman

That is the real deal there. It looks like it went to the right person.
    I am glad to see it didn't go to one of the flippers so all the history and memories would be lost forever.
    It is amazing that they keep popping up.
    I am happy for you.
    Best of luck with it.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

5D00D51E-189E-4571-A5CE-C0E29EA78660.jpeg I saw this fine model 40 on IG in a post. I have it’s relative , my model 40.....;).
    Ok, looking this over and digging its story, I see this a natural NDRA Race Warrior. Think Project 40 or Fat Jack Portly6 (46). There was also Cole Cutler who ran A 34 5W and another guy with a 34 5W that said “Balls Out “ with a set painted on the deck lid. Both of the 34’s were black.
    Mine has a slight Old Hot Rod History, the guy I got it from owned it with his brother in law since 49 then I became its caretaker in 96. They were in Calexico CA. It was in The SAn Diego area till the 60’s then up to Compton, John who I got it from lived there, it went to a house that he built for his sister in Victorville off of Bear Valley Rd. John as I said lived in Compton and I recall the day that I was to meet him for the deal, we had set a time @ 12:00 pm and he didn’t get there till 5:30pm. We made the deal, I got the car all swapped with usable rolling stock and I got on the road.
    We shared a lot of conversation about it and he told me a little bit more every time. that was 24 yrs ago.
    I wish you the best with this heirloom, it’s much more than just a car for you, keep those CA plates in it.......

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations...thanks for sharing that glimpse into real Hotrod and look forward to more as you reach back...

10. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what dreams are made of.Very lucky indeed.

MMM1693 likes this.
  11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. That thing is bitchn'. Sounds like it has a good home.

-Abone.

12. 392

Sweet. History with the look couldn’t be better

jll34 likes this.
  13. redoxide

redoxide

Great story, great pictures great history . That car was just waiting for you to arrive , you didnt choose it ,it choose you , believe it . These things dont just happen. Your uncle was obviously a cool guy with skills and vision. Keep his soul alive and drive the wheels off that 34, he would be beaming with pride... we are a strange breed us hot rodders.. :)

14. clem

clem

Awesome car and story.
    Absolutely belongs on the HAMB !
    If only you knew your uncles name, then perhaps you would find some on here who knew him, possibly part of his circle of friends.
    Often the memories of the cars get confused with age, after all plenty of ‘34 fords out there.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. It is a great story, and I am happy for you to get the car, and keep it in the family. The other cars may have been sold, and they went on to new owners. Your coupe is the real treasure of your uncles collection, especially since it has history for you and your uncle. I am happy for you.

The37Kid likes this.
  16. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks for sharing a great story and accompanying photos.Really great car. The 34 3 window to me is the high water mark in early Ford design. Thanks for leaving it as is.

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Awesome coupe and a great story!

18. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Sweet , I think we all need a feel good story and yours fits the bill nicely . Thank You.

19. Lepus

Lepus

Great story, cool car, and I really like the collection of old toy trucks in the garage!

20. 34Larry

34Larry

Wow!!!!!!!!! Beautiful story and one great looking model 40. I have a some what similar story without a relative involved. I'll not be so intrusive into your great post to relate my story (many here know it), but if your interested google Jerry Bergs 1940 Ford coupe. Your a very lucky man to have this treasure and know so much about it. I know you'll treat her like a lady and when ready to do so, drive it like you just stole it, most of us 33/34'ers do, (I think)

21. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Great story and killer car. I wouldn't change a thing either. That thing is perfect.

Congrats!

22. Ramblux

Ramblux

I really wanna know what became of the original chassis. That thing looked wild! lol

S10_Man and wandi harry like this.
  23. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

Great find and great story to go along with it. Congratulations.

24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou for sharing a wonderful story and some really magnificent images.
    Geoff aka whodaky

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hmmm...San Jose, how long after '63?
    I was born & raised in San Jose, left finally in '89. Had to have met those guys...
    I'm 77.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Nice coupe. Thanks for the story.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad it is staying in the family, nice car. Bob

28. tom feland

tom feland
    from Norman, OK

What a great story!.....Bitchin! Coupe!

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Awesome story, awesome car.

30. That's pretty damn cool! Those ladder bars are crazy! Looks like it was loved, not abused. Hope it fulfills your dreams.I'll look for it at Bonneville, when we get back on track...