Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help! I've been offered (maybe) a hell of a trade for my 55 Chevy Gasser.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Sinister, May 22, 2020.

1. That is true, it's a very dated style. I'm looking at it with the changes I'd make in mind, but who knows how long that would take and how much it would cost. Some good advice above was will it cost more to put a blower on my car that it would to de-pro street that car? Likely not. I can live with patched floors and so so paint, so I'm not looking at those as definite need to items on my car.

Thor1 likes this.
  2. To be honest he presented it that way. He said "I know you'll do the finishing work I will never get around to". The allure here is blower whine and a cherry body and that's pretty much it.

Thor1 likes this.
  3. Is his car NHRA legal for whatever ET it might be capable of? Cage certified?

4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

He wants your car, but you are hesitant about his, that should tell you something. Yours was built exactly how you wanted it. If you want a project, that's fine but don't get rid of perfection just to get something that you have to change to make it yours.
    Additionally, you can put your car in any forum or thread on the HAMB, the other pro street car would be deleted before you could type a comment.
    This is just my opinion.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Everyone is different so I can only cast an opinion. Stay with your car. Despite what ever wow factor you think the other 55 will get you it'll be short lived. Hell my girlfriend just bought a 56 with all stock stovebolt grab gears on the tree running gear and I'm loving driving that over my 56.

loudbang, Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I vote keep yours.. Cool car....

7. finn

finn

I’ll join the chorus. I like yours, but his is a dated street rod.

If someone gave me his, the first thing I would do is figure out what it takes to emulate yours.

Ditch the tubbed rear end and street rod rear suspension, etc. Those concepts and build style are like yesterday’s underwear.

Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  8. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

"Stay with the devil you know"!

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It may be more difficult than you think to change the rear end and suspension because I bet the frame rails have been moved in a bunch.....

10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Not to mention all of the tin work that would have to be removed.

Thor1, Mr. Sinister and Moriarity like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No kidding. It takes a while to get that formula of holly water just right. Oh wait, am I still talking car's? Oh hell it still applies.

12. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

I think we all say find the nicest body we can to start with regardless of what vintage car we are drawn to . But if you are talking about redoing most of the other car over I don't think there is much advantage to the trade . If it's just a few things and wind up with a nicer car then that's another thing . Our fond memories of our loved ones is something we all cherish .Bought my 40 to treat myself but also to recreate some of the stories my Dad would tell me often about the good memories of his younger days growing up in West by God Virginia . So I would say "what do you think your Dads advice would be"? Never had that style of car blower or gasser ,but remember when gear drive was the rage ,that noise got on a lotta drivers nerves quick. Thinking that blower whine might do the same thing , anyway wish you well on your choice ,follow your heart and live with your decision .

13. Country Joe

Country Joe

Think of all the time, labor and money you would have to put into the other car. I bet for a lot less you can address the minor things your car needs. The hardest part for you now is just stop thinking about that other car.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

H & H Classic Parts (20 minutes from my house which is why I am using them as an example) and other tri-five parts vendors have inexpensive floor patches, complete floor pans, rockers, etc. Do you need a complete floor pan or is it just the foot wells that need attention? It would likely be no more work to fix what you have than to de-tub the other '55.

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think you’re in love with the blower....;) Put a blower on your car and move on.:D

16. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER I SAY KEEP WHAT U GOT . WHY TAKE ON SOMEONE ELSES

HEADACHES

427 sleeper, Hnstray, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  17. It sounds like he is offering a very nice, but not quite finished, race car in trade for a driver you can enjoy right away. It has value for the right person who wants to tinker and race, but realistically has little value to someone who wants to frequently drive the car.

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I dig yours, but I see the allure of his too... Good luck

19. mickeyc

mickeyc

I would think removing the tubbed chassis components
    and restoring the body to what you want would be an
    equal amount of work as repairing your current 55.
    Which I like better. I do like both. I have seen very
    few vehicles that were they mine would not be changed
    in some detail.

Hnstray, Thor1, 1934coupe and 2 others like this.
  20. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I think you answered your own question right here. Looking down the hood of his is going to be just like looking down your hood. Only difference is, yours is a hot rod.

21. 26Troadster

26Troadster

if it were me, i would keep what you already have.

Thor1 likes this.
  22. I would definitely keep your car. On the plus side it sounds like you'd be trading your car to get a blower motor, better rockers and a better floor.
    On the negative side of this trade you'll be trying to correct a pro street suspension which will entail at least a partial trunk floor, inner 1/4 panel work, rear passenger floor repair, and a frame repair or replacement. That's before you start making the changes to it that made your car as cool as it is in the first place. As to your car having some rocker/floor issues, bad floors and rockers on these cars isn't a deal killer anymore and can be repaired relatively inexpensively if you're doing the work. .And one last thing (if it matters at all) is at the shows I attend it seems like the nostalgia style tri-5's like yours are a bunch more popular than the pro street style ones. I think pro street has a place, like in recreating early 70's style Pro Stocks, but not under a Tri-5 Chevy.

23. Just my opinion but with the family connection to your present car you will hate yourself at some point.

Plus like others have said the pro street look is dated.

24. I seriously doubt it, he says he built it for the street.

Thor1 likes this.
  25. I greatly appreciate the input guys, this just tells me my gut was right.

Meanwhile dude is texting me saying “hey may I got this nice trips setup that would look killer on your gasser. Trade you for your old bench seats from your car.”

DEAL.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Johnny Gee likes this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Hell No.

427 sleeper and Thor1 like this.
  27. Irvan

Irvan

I think you will regret it if you trade your car

427 sleeper, Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  28. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

1, you said it was what you always wanted your car to be, decided cant afford it.
    2, How do we not know your father is not smiling down on you and guiding yo in a direction?
    3, the new car will no longer fit here .... hrm, good excuse to start a new project ;)

I personally have not read much about your current car. I just assume it will never be finished, always a new project or goal when you get the time/money. Unless it is some finished level 10 hagerty restoration.

Would just be swapping the car and creating a new list of weekend projects, while collecting pieces and building a new project ... could get over whelming.

All boils down to emotions. the time you have invested in what you have.
    If someone offered me two 30 year olds, in trade for my 60 year old wife .... some might think a good deal .... I would run fast and hard in the opposite direction :D

427 sleeper, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  29. Keep yours and buy his if you can. Instead of making it street-able, make it “race-able”.

427 sleeper, Thor1, Just Gary and 2 others like this.