Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finally! Threads worked put perfect and I got the wishbone ends done! IMG_2182.JPG I think I’m just gonna blow it apart and set the axle in and weld the wishbone mounts in then....we’ll see how I feel tomorrow after work....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Coming apart! Time to box, finish the welding and make the crossmember removable....I did remove the inspection plate on the bell housing and it got a brandy new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing! IMG_2195.JPG

3. one step at a time...............

loudbang likes this.
  4. koolbeans

koolbeans

loudbang likes this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

I'm gettin' there Carl! Thanks for the support!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

M5.....he's got a TON of quid in those wheels....he parked the Porche to take home the vintage Z....
    He's definitely a car guy, although a little unorthodox according to our tastes.... Awesome boss!

loudbang likes this.
  7. koolbeans

koolbeans

Wow, now that's kool. Your project will be educational I bet. M5 's are bad to the bone.
    I used to rent VIR for Shelby Cobra track days. Friend asked if his banker friend could bring his four door M5. Sure I said. Shows up, black, full roll cage. I thought "uh oh".
    Friken 170 down the long straight....and smoked quite a number of the Shelby braggers.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad and loudbang like this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

That's why I'm building it at work....he got totally excited when I told him what I bought. He's been fascinated by the fabrication, putting the brakes under the floor and making the the column shift work. At first he thought it was just an "assemble" and roll! Now he sees what's involved and he's beginning to understand the process. He can afford to drop his car off and say....just do it. That's basically how I got the job there, he was a personal customer of mine at the Chevy dealer and when they went down during all the BS 10 years back, he gave me the job at his facility as machinist and mechanic. I love it there and no more flat rate rat race!

I had that flathead stashed there for the past 9 years and I finally found a use for it.

9. koolbeans

koolbeans

Great story. Very kool. You're doing a great job building and keeping HAMB'ers informed.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cliff Ramsdell, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Engine/trans out and started the welding....
    Of course I did something I tried to remind myself not to do....and that was to take gloves off and use my hand on a freshly welded surface to assist myself in standing up...
    Did that 30 years ago....and today! But, I’ve always reminded myself “don’t put hand on fresh weld to stand up!”....well, my 30 years streak is over with a whiff of flesh and some flailing about....but I’m ok...

A little input.....I want to make the center crossmember removable....but if I do, I can’t box the frame completely up to xmember...do you think it’s a big deal if I turn ends of boxing plates in at xmember and continue on other side? Or, is boxing absolutely necessary? Maybe some strategic reinforcements? Appreciate any input....thanks for letting me ramble fellas! Onward Hoe..... IMG_2238.JPG

11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks KB! It's been a pleasure so far!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I think I’m ready to start knocking down some of the edged and get this thing in paint....I’m getting antsy....it’ll be time for final frame assembly then and plumbing the brakes! IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2247.JPG

oliver westlund, brEad and loudbang like this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Cleaned up the interface of my wishbone extensions....getting ready to assemble front suspension assembly and install..... Adjustments.JPG

oliver westlund and brEad like this.
  14. I lost track of this thread. Great to catch up on your progress. Looking good!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks bread!.....Things have been a little crazy and I haven't had a whole lotta time for the coupe....but I've squared some things away and I'm getting back at it....

loudbang and brEad like this.
  16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Piewagn , I don’t think it’s gonna be a big deal if you don’t box the whole frame with a stock or mild flathead. Since you split the wishbones I would do as much as you can.

On a side note, while my F1 crossmember is removable, to get the transmission out it’s just easier to pull the motor than to pull the rearend out of the car so it turned out to be a not really necessary.

I boxed mine from the F1 crossmember rearward but I use unsplit wishbones and closed driveshaft like you so less twisting load on the frame.

I’m glad you got the column shift to work for you and can’t wait to see the finished deal as I ran out of space on my car with the F1 steering column and the headers to run the linkage.

Just had time to read through your build since delivery of watched thread notifications isn’t always prompt. Great job and great boss. Had a boss back in ‘88 that let me build my front engine dragster at work.

Cliff Ramsdell

oliver westlund, brEad and loudbang like this.
  17. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  18. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

Obviously been off this forum for awhile and no longer know how to play in the sandbox. Merging my message with a quote took a lot of effort, let me tell you! Sorry!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Wow, your work is really nice.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Piewagn

Piewagn

Laid the front axle assembly up and had nearly zero castor....So, I pie cut the wishbones and got some castor....gotta keep it goin’ straight!
    Thanks for stoppin’ in fellas....hope all is well with everyone! IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2288.JPG IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2291.JPG Adjustments.JPG

V8-m, Nailhead A-V8, brEad and 2 others like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks for all the input and complement Cliff....it must mean I'm doin' something right...:D
    I really did start to get discouraged on the column shift to the point I started looking for another trans. Persistence and actually doing something I told myself I wasn't going to do and that was notch the frame to move the steering box and bracket up and forward, I really thought I was in for some tweeking/twisting of the frame. But, I supported it and cut my notch and welded my bracket up and everything measures out nice. I think I will box from crossmember back and not make it removable, taking the engine out to do the trans was way easier on my Tudor like you said, than removing the diff and rear suspension. Againn thanks for the input and hope to see you around here again!

loudbang and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Darin! Hope to see you around here more often!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks JC!....I'm getting anxious to get rolling on the frame assembly, but of course, there's ALWAYS that that little frigging nagger that won't let you move forward until you address it! Hope to see you around here more often....maybe practice up on your "quotes"....:D:D:D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

25. Nice work again.........."keep on keepin on"

loudbang likes this.
  26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Carl.....just pluggin' away!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Piewagn

Piewagn

More progress.....frame painted, except where I need to weld the wishbone mounts. Will be removing rear axle next and prepping for paint and painting the underside of rear crossmember......thanks fellas!! IMG_2310.JPG

brEad, loudbang, norms30a and 2 others like this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Axle bolted in for the final time...it’s assembly time! Just need to make the brackets for the wishbones and paint the rear axle assembly and take a couple leaves out of the rear spring. Forward progress....YAY!!
    Thanks fellas!! IMG_2324.JPG IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2327.JPG

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Template for wishbone mounts....make 2 the same and flip one over to mirror the other side.... IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2339.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Voila....wishbone mounts! Stick these in the blast cabinet tomorrow then weld ‘em up!! IMG_2340.JPG