Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2020 Banger Meet Thread - 4 are Essential***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2020.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if i may ask .... what type of head were you using ? ........... steve

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original matching numbers head for the B4 , “C” head. Well I assume it’s original as the block number matches the title. Block cleaned up ok and couldn’t see any cracks , got the stud out . Got a square of 3/8 plate that matched a decent sized 3/4 drive socket and drilled a slightly less than 7/16 hole then beveled the hole . Welded the plate to what was left of the stud , drowned it in penetrating oil and with some left to right persuasion it came out.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Pretty nifty Cragar posted by AHRF today.

Cragar-Ford Sports Car.jpg

Jet96, barrnone50, Old Dawg and 4 others like this.
  4. railcarmover

railcarmover

Cars been on CA non op since I bought it,titled it in my name and non op'ed it before beginning work.ready to go on the road,I paid my fees by mail and insured it.Got a letter back saying the funds were applied,registration paid but not done,they needed a signed affidavit saying I haven't driven the car during the non op period to allow them to give up the tags.. sent them back the affidavit a month ago..crickets, the slackers are using the chairman Xi's chinese bat flu to drag their feet..bastards..going to carry the receipt and insurance,drive it with the plates but no tags..figure I can talk my way out of any issue with the local constabulary..

fur biscuit likes this.
  5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things I don't miss about the Peoples Republic of...love, that after you submit everything, they take your money, then tell you they need something else.

6. railcarmover

railcarmover

Paid off the shack a few years back,got three more years to go before I hang up the tools..I like the weather here,they cant change the natural beauty.

Da komrade,the party members are expanding,even the great state of texas is under siege..

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, spent 34 years between SoCal and the northern reaches. Moved to Texas, as our betters back home killed the industry that pays the bills. Yet, now the same sign wavers and stone throwers are showing up here in droves, cause they can't survive in the Peoples Republic. They demand that The Great State change; match exactly what they left behind.

I do miss the roads, the vistas, the coast, the mountains...oh for topographical variance...

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

The Party requires 'essential' slaves to keep the trains running on time..as a field service mechanic I have 40 years verifiable experience in racketeering,I have a degree in taking advantage of situations that favor me.The States obsession with Chairman Xi's chinese bat flu has left me many opportunities to pursue my craft..idealistic america? the one I grew up in,the one that stated the pledge of allegiance daily and meant it? gone like a fart in the wind..

GuyW likes this.
  9. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Politics or Bangers? Take your choice.

Jet96, guitarguy, fur biscuit and 3 others like this.
  10. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

Bangers full time.

Attached Files:

11. railcarmover

railcarmover

Bangers it is..was finishing up putting in a clutch, checking rods and mains (got some fancy tall phosphate coated grade 8 nuts) and a couple of other odds and ends when a fella out walking his dog stops by and asks if I had a flathead V8 in the car..I show the banger to him and he says too bad,he has a 'ford' carburetor in his garage taking up space,and asked me if I wanted it.I said sure,half expecting some worn out piece of junk...he comes back with an 8BA Holley 94,shows evidence of a fresh rebuild and tight throttle shaft ..we shake hands and I figure what the hell,pulled the 97 off,ran up a quick fuel line and gave it a whirl. Ill be damned if it didn't wake the car up,ran great,no power valve issues,performed way better than the Stromberg..

12. Glad to hear you came up on a carb! What happened to your facebook, you get thrown in FB Jail?

13. railcarmover

railcarmover

Yep doing a bit in the can for conduct unbecoming :) ..looks like I still have the ability to piss off the authorities..

14. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Right on.
    You want to ruin a good thing here keep it up ?

15. I have a 94 on my driver right now, oh man it works good!
    I did a cruise with some rods last week, the only banger in the group.
    Avg 23 MPG in the mountains and had no problems keeping up with all those V-ocho's.

I had a chance to work on a project this week some, most details worked out.
    Assem1.jpg

Old Dawg, burl, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of cold starts here with no choke. Accelerator pump helps running a downdraft. You just have to be a little bit patient and sit in it to let it warm up. The one that has a choke cable has ot just on one carb of the two 81's. I think the higher idle does more to keep it running than the choke

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 and Bigcheese327 like this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the overflow tank finished and mounted on the firewall
    I used the pump handle on the dip stick. It will be easy to change sticks if I decide I don't like it. If the crankcase pressure blows it out, I've got problems.... 1590175713424.jpeg 1590175941472.jpeg

Shutter Speed, Old Dawg, burl and 3 others like this.
  18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John,
    Looks like an interesting project. From scratch? Tell us more as it develops.
    I like a banger with a 94, especially when it amazes the Veeight guys.
    I finally got smart and made it gravity feed. A larger 3/8" tank outlet to a banjo fitting on the carb.... IMG_20200522_134324303.jpeg

Jet96 and G Baese like this.
  19. 97

BANG-- BANG-- BANG--- BANG and repeat !!!! 'nuff said.

20. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm running a choke on my rear carb...If I remember correctly Uncle Max sells the linkage

Attached Files:

winduptoy likes this.
  22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had a problem with dual 97's and no choke. When I first put it together I would set the choke on one carb and then hit the starter. Now I just give it a couple of shots with the accelerator pumps and it has never failed to fire. I keep a slight pressure on the foot feed until it warms up. Bottom line is that I worried about how to run a choke but now I just plan to forget about it.

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like number three is hitting a little weak

24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vicky out this morning...oops looks like I'm going to have a head on.
    IMG_20200523_061141739.jpeg

25. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

ALways something- driven this thing about 500 miles since I got it, no issues...put my new head on last week, was planning on buttoning it up and driving it in the rain this weekend. Shop smells of gas when I get there today, hmm... damn tank started seeping all around the column brace, dripped about a hand-sized stain on the toe board. Guess I'll put a model T tank in the back for now...

Old Dawg likes this.
  26. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Tight squeeze at the firewall- taller head and matching studs I had to pull the junction box up out of the way. Left the water outlet studs out til I had it on then screwed them in. Can't wait to drive it! 1713C9B9-2FBE-495C-9075-39AF73A338D0.jpeg

Old Dawg, Binger, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  27. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

On the plus side- the pickup always ran good and didn't have any blowby so I didn't worry much about the engine.Turns out to be 06 over, nice and tight, zero ridge and the valves/seats looked very clean at a quick looking-over. Pretty happy about that.

brjnelson, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let us know how that head works...heard a complaint that it can suffer from pre detonation...curious how it is on your car and if you have the same experience or not.

Go have fun

Jet96 likes this.
  29. Winduptoy,

The plug placement away from the valves requires less ignition advance. If a guess, 3-5 degrees less, at least that is what other head testing liked with similar position.
    The original placement was meant for the motor to be hand crank started and idle well, not for performance.
    Jim's head has pretty good turbulence and should breath well, yes, the chamber does affect the breathing and filling of the cylinder.

John

Crazydaddyo, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  30. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Yes Jim B suggests starting 20 total advance, I'll mess with it and see how it acts. At my elevation I can get away with a little more. Like Winduptoy and Binger. And Denis4x4. It looks like there should be good turbulance as the squish area is pretty large. My particular distributor has the adjustable stops on the weights so easy to adjust total. I had the rate well dialed on my roadster. I shall report.

Crazydaddyo, Old Dawg, burl and 3 others like this.