Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars for sale, or are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, May 8, 2020.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Good deal! I had been eyeballing that car for a while(I'm only about an hour away) and told my wife several times that it appeared to be a good buy. Unfortunately, I just couldn't bring myself to add another one to the project list.

2. Country Joe

Country Joe

I was looking at that car awhile. Great car. Great price. But, I don't have the skill needed to make the car look any better than it sit now. I could get it to go and stop but I don't possess the skill required to bring that beauty back to it's former glory.

Thor1 likes this.
  3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You just assume and assume ‘til your heart’s content. ;)

But you clearly did not dispute my premise.

Which means you’re just looking for a fight, and that means that I am leaving.

Thor1 and Hnstray like this.
  4. verde742

verde742

Its REALLY easy to "come down" to market value, but hard "to go Up "
    what several like models sell for, determines market value. (but must be apples to apples .)

Thor1 likes this.
  5. After reading some of this bitchin and bellyaching I decided to peruse the classified ads to see what the uproar was all about. To my surprise, most of the ads were current and found very few that were more than a year old. As my dad always said; you can ask anything you want, doesn't mean you're going to get it. If you don't like the price, then just move on... I have sold cars on here- priced right and moved quickly. But this was probably 10 or so years ago.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I just now looked at listings on eBay for 1957 T-Birds. There are 49 listed. Then I looked at sold listings. In the last 90 days, 13 '57 Thunderbirds have sold on eBay. These are the selling prices: $30k, $40k(best offer accepted), $18.3k, $28.7k, $27.5k, $32.5k (best offer accepted), $29.5k, $20.2k, $20.1k, $27.5k, $4.9k, $7.6k
    The lower priced ones were rough projects. Most of the higher priced ones ($35k to over $100k) are listed by dealers who are just trying to make a connection with potential buyers rather than actually sell the car on eBay.

Thor1 likes this.
  7. 1pickup

1pickup

Well, I may be one of the people being complained about, so I will explain. I build cars to suit me, so my choices are usually different than yours. My '63 wagon has been on here for quite a while. If I had put a 350/350 in it (which I had), instead of a dual carbed 250/pg (which I had to purchase), it would appeal to a bigger audience. If I would have ordered a stock replacement interior, or did it in just black vinyl, instead of black/gold metalflake/leopard, it would appeal to a bigger audience. If it had a slightly lowered (static) stance & Cragar SS wheels instead of bags & '55 Caddy caps... I should have painted it red, instead of leaving the patina... Etc... Those choices please the most buyers, but I wouldn't have wasted my time building something that is what everybody else wants. That car sounds boring to me. It's much cooler to be a little different, even though it doesn't appeal to the "it has to be a red deuce" crowd.
    I don't have to sell it, but I could use the cash for other projects. I have been offered SEVERAL trades. Mostly, straight across (I don't need your headache), but a few cars + cash (I have plenty of projects). I do know that not everybody has thousands of dollars for a toy, so there are a few things I would consider in a trade, to lower the price a little.
    No, I don't flood the internet with for sale ads. I listed it 1 time on FB marketplace. I put it on a wagon-specific FB page, but don't keep up with that much either. I occasionally bump it back up on the classifieds here, because nobody looks past the first 5 pages. Every time I do that, someone new sees it & responds. Sometimes, it's someone who has responded before. A couple have come to look it over & offer quite a bit less, just to resell it. They all said it was an honest description, but they didn't think they could make much money on it. That makes me think my price is pretty close. I don't drive it w/ a for sale sign. I don't park it in a high traffic area with a for sale sign. I have put a small sign on the dash or seat at a couple shows. So, I'm not pushing to sell it. That day may come, but it has been a pretty reliable car, & the only driver I have at the moment.
    Is my price too high? I don't know. Not really according to what I see others listed at. Could you build it for what I am asking? Some of you probably could, several couldn't. Most wouldn't, because they don't have the balls to not paint it red, add the V8, & have a boring black interior. You probably would have my asking price in a crate 350 & an interior kit. When I see basket case, rusted out, broken glass, similar cars for sale @ 1/3 of my asking price that need EVERYTHING, I think I should raise my price.
    If you are perusing the ads, & just complaining about the prices, maybe you are looking to score something for nothing.

MMM1693, Thor1, Country Joe and 2 others like this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'd sure like to know where you guys are finding what the value is of all these cars you are saying are over priced.

I could list my truck, its a fresh build with about 1,000 miles on it. I'd list it for less then what the parts cost to build it, but most here would think it was probably over priced and not worth my asking price. That must mean there is some way to determine its value before listing, so I don't waste your time, or mine. All I want to know it where that place is. I just can't find many listings for a 39-47 Dodge pickup hot rod.

I did list it on Facebook, and got an offer for less then 1/2 my asking price. I'd probably make more money then that taking it apart and selling parts, but I will just drive it instead. Gene

Thor1 likes this.
  9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It’s a very special market and it’s driven by passion and desire.

Is it any wonder we have arguments?

Thor1 likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Raise it . Hey there are guys that will pay ridiculous money for any 1932 Ford car model body , needing everything.

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

It Is What It Is. IMO Now is not really the best time to sell anything, it's a much better time to buy, as always the markets change.

Thor1 likes this.
  12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I get that question my response is "What's your top dollar?" That usually changes the tenor of the discussion and puts the ball squarely in the prospective buyer's court. If they refuse then I simply hang up on them.

I really don't have much to do but I do not have time for someone's bullshit.

Lepus, Thor1, 41rodderz and 2 others like this.
  13. exterminator

exterminator

I believe it takes the right person with the money who sees your car as their dream car to pay your price. There seems to be a lot of guys out there who wants to buy cheap and turn over for more. Had one offer for a laughable amount and another for one and half that amount but still not enough. Guess I will drive it around until I run into that one person who has to have it. Glad I don't have to sell it.

Thor1, wicarnut and Cosmo50 like this.
  14. My response to the "what's your top dollar" question is always "exactly the same as your bottom dollar". I'm usually not in the habit of paying more than what is required to acquire something. And as far as looking at it goes, I've probably seen the pictures, liked what I saw, so I don't understand the problem giving the bottom dollar price when asked. The first time I've seen the last dozen cars I've bought in person is when they've showed up in my driveway. My hauler knows enough not to turn over my money on totally mis-represented cars, or dicey paper work.

And I agree with you. I don't have time for someone's bullshit either.

15. I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for this thread. I am sad because I now have a large void in probably the biggest shop I have ever owned but my old heap is gone to a new owner and I got enough to pay my gas bill.

So thank you all. :cool:

Tim, Hamtown Al, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  16. With the economy on the skids many people assume every car for sale is a desperate must sale and some people may be in that situation but not all, I've looked through the classifieds and there seems to be a seat for every arse, naturally the 32's model 40's and the fat fendered Fords along with all the other makes that are sought after are rarely going to be bought at fire sale prices. HRP

i.rant, Thor1 and olscrounger like this.
  17. Those 32's, 40's and fat fendered Fords will and can be sold at fire sale prices when the roof over the head and food on the table could be at risk. I've bought a few 32's and 40's for half the asking price when the owners had gotten stupid with their money management. Funny how cash on the kitchen table can alter a 'firm' asking price. Especially when the roof over that table is at risk.

Gasser 57, Blues4U and wvenfield like this.
  18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Thor1 likes this.
  19. Sell, just what is this Sell shit.......................

5window, Blues4U, 47ragtop and 2 others like this.
  20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

If you want to get good money for it, finish it first. Project cars are a dime a dozen. Whenever I see a project car, I always think what went wrong or what is not right. I find that there is a difference in the prices in Craig's List and H.A.M.B, H.A.M.B. being the higher. 10,000 dollars on H.A.M.B. is equal to about 600 to 700 on Craig's List, and about 1000 dollars around 1975.

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well let me help you fill that void . You don’t even have to thank me.:D

Thor1 likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Oh no siree , Bob. There are CL prices that do not reflect logic. One seller had a 1956 Chevy short bed that had nothing going for it at all, pulled from the back forty . Starting price $15,000 . After a couple of month’s dropped to $10k. A month later back to $15k for a clapped out , rusted out shell.

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Country Joe

Country Joe

I guess there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. No sense trying to figure it out. I say, just list your cars at your price and hope for the best. And buyers can look around and if they see what they like at a price they like...go for it. Right now there is a shell listed for almost $30k. nothing else...not a window, not a frame, not a door handle, no window regulators, not a seat....nothing. Just a steel shell...$30k... And my position is, more power to him but, you can find other cars where you can jump in and drive for under $10k. Like I said, there is no formula to any of it. Seems like we just throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.

clunker, Thor1 and 41rodderz like this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think you summarized it best .:)

Thor1 and Country Joe like this.
  25. A seller who is upset that a buyer is inexperienced, is a seller who won't be selling many cars. The sellers job is to sell. It's not the buyers job to buy. If the buyer had the experience, he likely would be looking for a deal, or building it himself. A chef doesn't expect his customers to know how to cook. A barber doesn't expect his customers to know how to cut hair. Why should a hotrod dealer or builder expect anything different?

Blues4U and wvenfield like this.
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Sorry I opened my mouth I think I'll just delete my posts and shut up!

27. pkhammer

pkhammer

As someone already mentioned, these types of cars (hot rods/customs) are sometimes hard to determine a fair market value. Buyers and sellers that bother to do any research will browse SOLD listings and try to compare apples to apples to determine what a fair price is. Even then as someone else pointed out a wide range of prices will be found. If I do a search of 1940 Ford coupes I might find recent sales that run from $15k up to $35k. If I throw out the projects at the low end and the very nice examples at the top end I might determine a good solid '40 Ford coupe should be worth between $20k and $30k. Now what comes into play is the different perspectives of whether you're a buyer or a seller. If I'm a seller I'm going to want to get $30-35k. If I'm the buyer I'm going to want it for $15-20k. We all think basically the same way, it's just hard to find the middle ground.

RJP and Thor1 like this.
  28. 5window

5window

One of my business advisors always told me that selling is just giving others an opportunity to buy.

29. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Our demographic is shrinking. Hang on to stuff long enough and you'll be giving it away.

Ulu likes this.
  30. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Just keep in mind that what works for some doesn't work for all. Personally, I HATE being sold to. I'm not just talking about cars either. If I have a question, I'll ask. When someone starts giving me a sales pitch, I try to make it clear that's not my way by virtually ignoring them. If they don't get the hint pretty quickly, I make a decision right away whether I want an item bad enough to endure being sold to. 90% of the time the answer is no and I'm out of there. Just something to think about.

Rand Man likes this.