Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Studebaker!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DemonTweaks, May 20, 2020.

1. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

Hi y'all!
    After selling a bike I had had sitting around I find myself with an itch to 'invest' that cash in an intelligent manner, a Hot Rod!
    And low and behold up pops one of my alltime favs on Craigslist, a 1953 Studebaker hard top..! It's an old daily driver from a guy that raced on Bonneville (with other cars) I was told by the seller (the son of the guy, that got it when he passed away) and there is visible stickers on the windscreen proving it. (Only seen half-ass pix, not in person yet)
    Been sitting inside for 15+ years so needs work but is a California car so rust is minimal.
    Now.
    Would it be worth rebuilding the front suspension vs. fab in a Mustang II or similar kit from some company? Who would you guys recomended for the latter? (Rear got a 9" Ford axle already and (I guess..) stock style leafsprings)
    Air ride would be schweet so it can be used but still cruise and park on the ground, like a real 'saltdog' car like these often was. Recommendations on parts on that?

Any input and thoughts appreciated!

(And if the post is in the wrong place let me know, or admins feel free to move it.)

2. flatford39

flatford39

Your at the wrong site to be talking Mustang II front ends. Nothing wrong with the factory front end. Hell he raced it right and it survived.

Don't overthink this. The 53 Stude is on my bucket list so if you pass please post info on it.

3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Join the Studebaker Drivers Club forum. You can get lots of useful information there.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

It worked fine once, it will again.....as is.

dana barlow and DemonTweaks like this.

5. Drive it before you throw Rocks at it. Bruce's #219 set several records over 200mph with stock steering.
    upload_2020-5-20_15-20-31.jpeg

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Demon -

Having owned and driven Studebakers for the last 15+ years, I can say, dollar for dollar, AND driveability wise, save your money and work, just rebuild the stock front suspension.
    AND...add a 70's GM, front anti-sway bar. (Camaro, Monte Carlo, Firebird). I've driven a 59 Lark, 2dr. wagon that I recently sold as a...daily driver. With a reproduction, Studebaker, H.D. rear bar.
    And...no...forget adding a rack & pinion steering on a Stude suspension. A few have claimed that they have done it. High school geometry says that the related "bump steer" will be as bad or even worse than the Stock Stude steering. Installing a "Ross" steering box into a 53-55 chassis IS, a good swap though.

Note - I had very little trouble with my little 259 powered Lark in just over 93,000 miles. Also note, while it's not an overnight swap, Chevy (small & big) engines are almost a drop in. Adapters for a GM automatic (4spd's) to bolt up to the Stude engines are available.

99.8% of the front end kits on the market are designed with the SAME basic geometry as the Stude has. If you want a better handling car, you need to offer up more money to the chassis builders and get them to design in the "proper" geometry.
    That is, the Stude control arms are parallel in both plains. SO ARE the basic "kit" front suspensions. So...why change to something that is, in reality...the same as the Stude engineers designed back in 1952..!
    Beside all the measuring, welding, sweat, skinned knuckles, etc., etc., It's just not worth the time or money.

Just a side note - ALL of the Studebaker chassis are the same in the front (and basically the rear too) from 53 to the end at 1966. Even the Avanti. Control arms, arm mounting, factory anti-sway bars, while slightly different, will interchange. Shocks mounting is slightly different in 53 to 55, but after that...same, same.

Just a heads up, you'll find the same basic answer / comments over on the Studebaker Drivers site, or the Studebaker Racing site. Both good places to learn from.

Mike

P.S. - There is a couple of semi-expensive kits available that DO, do a decent job of a kit to install a C4 Corvette front suspension. But again, lotsa work and a good bit of money, especially for a daily driver.

P.s. again... I'm working on a 54 Conestoga (2dr. wagon) as my next daily driver. Ported heads, custom intake manifold, Avanti exh. manifolds, GM T-200-4R trans., 3.70 gears. Next task's, wiring and exhaust system and it should be ready to drive.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. KenC

KenC

53 was the best looking of the coupes/Hawks IMNSHO. Neat, clean style before the later ones got slathered with chrome and doodads. I also vote for a front end rebuild, with added disk brakes.

9. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

Thanks for all the info 'Mike VV'!
    Makes sense after looking at how the suspension actually is designed and I found disk brake kits that are bolt-on and cheap. Had a -66 Nova SS many moons ago with four wheel (tiny) drums and that thing did not wanna stop much!
    And after looking at the auxiliary pictures the guy sent me it's definitely a car worth not hacking up. And since it have a SCTA plaque on the dash... it have already hit some speed 'as-is'!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  10. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

Instigator!

11. cometman98006

cometman98006

Had a 54 starlight coup with the small v8. Bought in ‘59 in Illinois and drove it home to Seattle. Loved that car, rebuilt the engine and had it repainted. Was a great until a drunk in a Hudson going the other way spun out infront of me. I’d love to have one today.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. The later 1962 Avanti up and 1963 up Hawks/Lark disk brakes are also a bolt on. Think I have about a half dozen sets sitting around....They are Dunlap calipers - brake shoes are not hard to find.

13. charlesf

charlesf

Nearly 20 years ago I built the ‘53 Commander Coupe in my avatar (since gone to live in Tucson with Docc). It had a running 259 and stock suspension/steering. I thought I needed a sbc and Volare/Diplomat suspension/steering. It all worked, but in retrospect I always wished I’d given the Stude parts a chance, it would have saved me untold hours and dollars.

DemonTweaks likes this.
  14. sdroadster

sdroadster

I have one that has gone 221 mph mounted on an extended cab S10 chassis 14064130_1335536299807282_1488340377656694499_n[1].jpg .

rod1, DemonTweaks, egads and 2 others like this.
  15. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

That's a lot of spares!

16. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

That's awesome!
    The S10 'swaps' are popular with all kinds of cars I've learend. As long as it's not the kind where you take the dash and other interior... it's a smart and (possibly) quicker way to build a hot rod.

17. I'm not sure I can ask this so I'll be careful. With the front wheel opening so far forward on the Studebaker and the let's just call it Truck Chassis steering box mounted way forward on it's Frame Rail how much inner fender, core support, grill aria did you have to carve up to get things mounted and is this good construction ideas for a car he wants to drive more than 5 miles at a time? Also with the Motor behind the axle center line not on top of, what kind of springs would be necessary to get a good street ride? I hope I asked this in generic hot rod form enough to get a decent answer and not in the Taboo Frame Graph content.

Mr48chev and bchctybob like this.
  18. saltracer219

saltracer219

We went pretty fast with the stock setup. When I restored the car I put in all N.O.S. front suspension. Then after we fought handling problems it was highly re-worked by a professional NASCAR Chassis builder. The car actually went to Florida to get this done! We ONLY did this because we had to. At the time we were running the SCTA would not allow us to change the front suspension and still remain in Gas Coupe class. Had we been able to make a front suspension change I would have put in an aftermarket independent setup and eliminated all the grief with that bellcrank b.s. I would not suggest a chassis swap as the factory frame is a very good unit.

19. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

There is no way I’d use a mustang 2 set up . My sons 37 came with the cross member installed. I thought that would work out great. That set up is a rip-off buying parts for. Use a squared stock car clip. And any stock car chassis builder builds clips and parts are better quality and more cost and performance friendly. And using a rack is perfect on these set ups

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MO54Frank likes this.
  20. HLB

HLB

L
    I have a 1954 Commander have owned it for 37 years . Picture on
    my site HLB .never had any trouble with front end like anything else you have to keep everything greased.only thing I changed was steering box put a Saginaw box on which was a higher option on a 54

DemonTweaks likes this.
  21. Saltracer219, your right. I forgot about that little cross country trip to Florida. Been to many Years and to many Projects ago to remember everything about everything.

saltracer219 likes this.
  22. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I have a 56 Silver Hawk, I’m not condemning stock suspension but commenting with my opinion on a Mustang 2 swap.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i owned this for a little while, had a fatman stub. was a 55 president Speedster stude 25.JPG stude5.JPG

24. sdroadster

sdroadster

DemonTweaks and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  25. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Get on YouTube and search La Carrera Panamericana. You will lose count of the 53-57 Studebakers.

26. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

It was to good to pass up.

Attached Files:

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On any of those early/mid 50's independent front end cars there are only a few viable reasons to swap suspension. 1. the original crossmember unit isn't reparable due to damage or cracks or it isn't there to begin with as it was cut out of the car before you got it. 2. Parts are so hard to get and so freaking expensive when you find them that the cost exceeds common sense. 3. It was a junk setup to begin with that won't hold alignment or handle when it is aligned.

That said it doesn't matter what rig you do a Camaro/Firebird subframe or S-10 swap on you end up hacking up about half the inner sheet metal in front of the wheels to get the crap to fit. Worse with front steer than rear steer. Both my 48 truck and my 51 Merc were subframed with Camaro rear steer subframes. Both drove great but both had so much cutting on front end inner sheet metal to get them to work it was ridiculous and if you run a front steer that isn't a pickup body spaced up several inches off the frame rails you cut even more metal out plus usually have to build a new core support and swap radiators.
    I don't remember driving a 53/54 Lowboy but worked on, aligned and test drove a number of Hawks over the years and they usually drove pretty nice.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  28. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

Now when I have in my shop and looking it over it doesn't seem bad. The car is very well preserved and even though it's a bit of a funky design of the OEM steering (that for sure will have a lot of bump-steer!) it might only need a few new components and tighten the box a bit and be good to go. Even though the car for sure ran on the dry lakes (got a SCTA plate on the dash!) I don't think I'll be hitting 200 in it soon, so it is definitely good for the street.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  29. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is one that I have been working on over 20 years and have never driven! HPIM0879.JPG

DemonTweaks likes this.