Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SpeedWeek is On!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, May 18, 2020.

1. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

I agree on the gambling, but I like to stay in a hotel room. Also some fair places to eat!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. silent rick

silent rick

pprather and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Almost forgot, @D-Russ if you’re reading this just remember, when the time comes, you can’t drive 55!

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  4. Hey man, if you do come, look for our pit and introduce yourself – I feel like we've known each other for a long time, but we've never actually met. And that goes for anyone else I've talked to on here. :)Look for this truck: Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 2.45.44 PM.png

5. That goes without saying. Thanks man!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. You’re welcome.

loudbang likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was going to go to Pebble Beach again with my daughter, but that got cancelled till 2021. Drive from LA to Bonneville can go several ways I think. Camping at the Bend, seeing cars & people I've read about for 55+ years is long overdue. How do you prep a daily driver to protect it from being killed by the salt? Bob

8. If you're leaving from LA, you rent an econobox with unlimited mileage, drive to Wendover, the bend and all over the salt for a week, rinse it off your last day, then drive back to LA and turn it in.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad I asked, a minivan and the tent and seats can stay in LA

loudbang likes this.
  10. You might want to bring the tent if you're camping at the bend. But if you rent a minivan, you can sleep in it. Showering at the truck stop is $10, but a shower a day is still way cheaper than a hotel.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

What is the best day/days to be there?
    Was thinking of driving over from Colorado on August 13th and watching some cars on Friday, the 14th. Going to be in Denver to see Joe Bonamassa at the Red Rocks Amphitheater on the 10th, got a couple of other things planned on Tues and Wed. It's about 10 hours from the Denver area to the flats. Just wondering whats happening on that Friday?

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great question, as a First Timmer is one day the best day, should I plan on a two day stay? Bob

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Depending on the weather, the beginning of the week is best. Friday, the last day is just record runs for the few who qualified and are still left. I would say Saturday and Sunday would have the most cars and action. Drivers meeting and all that.

winduptoy, deucemac and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the most part you can’t. If it’s your vehicle, I’ve mounted 8 mud flaps 2 on each wheel to keep salt off the trans. If it’s a rental I wouldn’t clean it until LA if that’s where your getting it...pray for rain on the way home and drive over every and gutter you can. I have sacrificed 5 pickups to the salt gods over the years and never again. I rent. Good luck..

16. I’m with you guys...wasn’t trying to start a s—t storm.

17. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with others here .... the beginning is clearly better for spectators, because there are more runs, the nightly ‘car show’ at the Nugget is better attended, etc. As you can imagine, as time goes on the racing thins out as do other things as people leave town.

As far as protecting from the salt.... there are companies that can pre treat your car or you can buy some ‘salt away’ and do some yourself (I do),
    but most of us either pay to have someone pressure wash the rig for us while in the area, or go the the car wash in town and do it ourselves. There are several local groups that will do a pretty good job pressure washing your rig for a fee or donation (I’m usually in for $20). Those include local high school groups, the local fire department, etc.

When I get home I park in my pasture and run a sprinkler under the pickup for and while in several locations to get out the rest. Way better than driving in Minnesota I can tell you from experience.

The main thing is to go.

C1E98286-4422-48E0-B21C-48F5A46B7E32.jpeg AF135F71-E62B-4DA3-B551-EC5AF0DC9EEA.jpeg 1FAE27ED-E545-4C0C-BB4C-AC69B8AF27AF.jpeg 241D2B0A-0651-4E08-8754-5D97FDD18990.jpeg 671A41EE-3DCC-476E-A262-6B5941CEC24F.jpeg

18. I am in got a 64 Plymouth stored in cali . ready to go .

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Another SCTA/BNI up-date

SW Update #4 - 5/26/2020

Dear Members and Friends,

I hope this email finds you and your loved ones healthy and safe. With worldwide changes to all of our lives in the past few months, it has brought some alterations to our association. After consulting with various medical and health officials at the state and federal levels, we have put together some additional stipulations for this year.

To the best of our ability we are committed in helping protect the health and safety of our participants, spectators, and volunteers. Let us work together.

The SCTA/BNI is requiring these protocols during our 2020 speed week event:

Speedweek 2020 BLM Stipulations:

1. Install Sneeze Guards on the Registration Trailer, Sales Trailer, BNI Trailer, Motorcycle Trailer & Impound Trailer

2. Gloves & Mask/Bandana for workers in the trailers mentioned above

3. Mask/Bandana for workers near people

4. Porta Potties – Will have hand sanitizer in each unit

5. Hand Sanitizer Stations by each trailer mentioned above and the Start Line

6. Blue Tape for Social Distancing by each trailer mentioned above

7. Increase Pit Spaces to increase the distance between race trailers

8. Have designated workers reminding people to social distance

9. Place Social Distancing Signs in areas below
    a) Areas where lines tend to form
    b) Areas where people tend to congregate
    c) Starting Line

10. Distribute Flyers at Entrance to every vehicle with these Stipulations.

11. Recommend people bring their own masks/bandanas & hand sanitizer

12. Recommend if you are sick, to please not attend this event.

20. I still plan to go again, but dwindling finances from a job that ended 2 months ago might make it touch and go.
    I sure hope to somehow get invited to help out on a team as a general helper as I sometimes have in years past.. hint.. hint..
    I am still making preparations to be there for camping at the bend.
    Did someone say we could use a HAMB banner to put up as a meeting spot?
    I would be happy to bring one or two Hamb banners for a prominent gathering or sign-in location. I make signs.
    thanks

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  21. I really want to drive my Coupe this year. At least once. Then i'll bring my Sportsmobile from then on, cause I can sleep in it. I'll find one of my friends who's running, and follow them, like Lucky or Tom Branch. We'll see...

Ranchero59 likes this.
  22. Was watching Mad fab and Luckys coupe last night with my fiance. Mentioned to her that since our trip to Back To The 50s got called off that maybe we should hit Speedweek. May just be a solo bachelor trip for me? We shall see.

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. The videos about Lucky's Coupe are awesome! I've watched them multiple times.

24. fegsta

fegsta

Came over last year for my 60th birthday for the first time ever and you no what happened, but had such a good time at the salt and nugget that I told myself this is the place to be. But like some of you work has been under threat so will have to see what happens. Plus flights to salt lake city, and another thing over here we would have to do 2 weeks self isolation, that's a lot of time off with the job on the line.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. fegsta

fegsta

Lucky Burton likes this.
  26. If this years event does happen, it will be historic, cause we probablt won't be in this same situation again. Hopfully!

Ranchero59 likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

For first timers what day would you advise us to arrive? Thinking of camping at the Bend, bringing two bicycles for use in the pit tour. Bob

28. Try to get there by Friday. That way you can set up camp and be ready for racing Saturday morning. Plus you can roam around the pits and check everything out.

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We were planning to go before this Carona crap! I think we are still on. Going to be several of us going. We are planning on camping at the bend, the first week end. Should have at least two motorhome sand some pop ups for shade. Was hopping to get a banner, identifying, myself. I asked Ryan last year , he told me OK. As long as it was just for me, and not any commercial use. That’s all , I going to use mine for......if I ever get one! Lol
    This will be my first time for Bonneville!

Bones

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. If I go this year, i'll be flying my HAMB banner!

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and Boneyard51 like this.