Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Route 66 motels; or where to stay when touring Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jul 27, 2019.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I found the Ghost Town Press "here it is" map series, but not Evergreen Press.

could you post a picture?

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the authors are the same for both publications. Maybe Evergreen Press sold out to Ghost Town? Just a guess but the description on Amazon for the Ghost Town publication sounds like the same as the Evergreen one.

squirrel likes this.
  3. leon bee

leon bee

I never saw this thread the first time. Here's a pic from Lebanon, MO I took a couple years ago cause I like signs:

DSCN2654 (1).JPG

4. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things are a little pricey for the 2005 edition. There is a link however for a cheaper one that is the newer edition on that page. Its crazy what some people put up for a price. I hope the new one I bought for $12.91 will be worth $1000 in 15 years. If so, my Grand kids will be happy. ;) https://www.amazon.com/Here-Route-Map-Jim-Ross/dp/0967748143

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

squirrel, I just googled Ghost Town Press and that's the same "here it is", set of maps. As 51 suggests, they might have merged or something. We used these maps when we drive our '46 Woodie to the Wavecrest Woodie show in Encinitas Cal. from NY. They go into great detail and tell what sections of 66 are passable and what areas to avoid. Some sections of 66 are really depressing.

squirrel likes this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Klaw, now I see what you mean. That has to be a misplaced decimal, if they get $1000 for a set of those maps I'll be selling mine.

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe AAA here in SoCal has some good info on Route 66. Maybe worth looking into once this virus crap is under control.

9. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Harvey House (the last one built) is the La Posada Hotel in Winslow. Nicely renovated 1930s-era hotel. Simply outstanding. Great venue, nice rooms, great bar, great restaurant. Not a motor lodge like many others along 66, but you want to stay here.

You’re welcome.

Mark Yac likes this.
  10. hudson48

hudson48

Ed Rocky and I stayed in Barstow on the 2018 ntrip but opted for a more modern motel unfortunately.
    Didn't have time for research at that stage but wopuld loved to have stayed in something more historic.

Special Ed likes this.
  11. hudson48

hudson48

On my trip to USA with the Hudson in 2018 we stopped at that Motel for a photo opportunity and met the owner who turned 80 that day. She showed us around and was a great lady.
    P1060110 (Medium).jpeg P1060111 (Medium).jpeg P1060112 (Medium).jpeg

12. atch

atch

Several people on here have mentioned the Munger Moss Motel sign. It underwent a very nice refurbishment a few years ago. You can Google "Munger Moss Motel Sign" and see lots of pix and information about it. As Rt 66 signs go it's one of the better known ones.

13. Lil32

Lil32

we have stayed a number of time in California Inn Barstow
    neat place ,cheap

14. Lil32

Lil32

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Recently, we have been watching a streaming TV show called Private Practice. It is an offshoot of Grey’s Anatomy TV show. In the Private Practice, there are always many shots of Santa Monica, where the show takes place. Everything from Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach for a background shot or two, the MDR Harbor, Venice Beach and even coastal Malibu have all been the locations for various parts of the show. There have been plenty of other streaming TV series, like Bosch and Goliath that show case the whole Santa Monica area in one form or another. The Santa Monica Pier, which we all know is the last stop in the famous Route 66 Road from the Midwest to West direction.
    upload_2020-5-21_4-25-27.png Santa Monica Pier in the background
    Taken from one of the nearby hotels in the area along the boardwalk and side street.

The official tourist end of the road sign is in the middle of the pier and waits for all those that have finished the trip out West. Even the locals starting across the street at the official Santa Monica Pier, only have a short distance to go to see the famous sign.
    upload_2020-5-21_4-26-56.png
    But as neat as the final destination for all Route 66 travelers, there are some smaller motels in the area. The big name hotels have a sight line that most of us would like from their resort hotel or out at dinner time. There are several big hotels that might be worth the money to stay as the ending of a long road trip. These hotels have popped up in many TV shows that show the whole Los Angeles/Santa Monica Bay coastal areas. The final sight of the pier puts a definite period to the long trip out West. So do a little research and make your last stop a great experience.
    upload_2020-5-21_4-27-40.png JW Marriott
    upload_2020-5-21_4-28-7.png Loews
    We have spent many hours walking on the board walk, the upper trail on top of the tall cliffs along Coast Highway and of course, on the pier over the years we have been together. There is something about being able to walk out into the ocean, 40 feet above the water and enjoy the sights. One of our favorites was an arcade that had a machine press that made a circular cut out with names and title. It was a curio of those pre-wedding days for us. One year, there was a huge structure built temporarily on the beach just north of the pier. It was a whole program, photos, lectures and displays about the world elephant crisis and history. It was pretty cool.
    upload_2020-5-21_4-29-35.png
    Sea Blue Hotel... left corner, 1960’s So Cal beach motif. Like a motel in cost, but in a hotel area. It is closer to the pier than the big resorts, but, no direct view of pier.

Jnaki

The pier always is a welcome sight and the end of the Route 66 Road is well defined here. Of all places to end Route 66, this area was a great choice. People in So Cal have a lot of cool places to attend and enjoy. The end of the Route 66 is no different, other than it ends at the Pacific Ocean.

For those that want that extra shot of the end of the Route 66 Road, there are provisions to make that happen nearby in the Marina Del Rey Harbor. The sailing on the water is one of the best on the So Cal coastline, as the constant prevailing winds make the run from the big harbor to Malibu, fast and exciting.
    upload_2020-5-21_4-35-0.png Vnak photo
    Route 66 end point looking EAST towards the Midwest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Lil32, Ron Funkhouser and i.rant like this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Map.jpg Map1.jpg
    Just received the Route 66 map set by Jim Ross and Jerry McClanahan. Published by Ghost Town Press. I ordered them from Amazon. Very cool maps. Can't wait until I get the Ranch Wagon road worthy so I can put them to use.

Lil32 and RMR&C like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-12_3-37-39.png
    Hello,

On our two stops from So Cal to Albuquerque road trip, we decided to stay in a nice hotel for the night upon arrival. Weary from the almost 12 hour drive, we switched off every 4 hours, it did not matter which floor we were going to stay. My dad always got the 7th floor or lower for any vacations in resort hotels. So, that was ringing in my mind, but my wife and I decided that a top floor would offer quieter sleeping and outstanding views facing Southwest. It was a great choice, as the Albuquerque and surrounding area view was awe-inspiring.

Normally, my dad’s superstition was that 7 floors was the top limit to any hook and ladder truck’s reach, just in case of an emergency. SF, Las Vegas, his favorite in Los Angeles when needed, the Biltmore, and anywhere else there is a tall resort hotel. 7 floors from the street was always the choice for him and for our family. The superstition paid off at we were never in any danger or emergency at those resort hotels.

This Marriott Hotel was just the thing for us. (14th floor, A/C, super quiet, great Southwest views, and easy access to Route 40 to Old Town, etc.) On our way to OKC via San Antonio, NM, Roswell,NM, and Amarillo, TX , before we left Albuquerque, NM we visited the Old Town area for its historical value and sights.
    upload_2020-6-12_3-51-13.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-cool-roadside-attraction.1091473/page-15#post-12493635

Jnaki

We were on our way to the Eastern seaboard and we would meet up with some portions of the famous Route 66 along the way and back to So Cal. But this Southwest portion was short lived. So, we have not completed the whole route, but have almost lived on the western end of Route 66 since we were little. The Santa Monica Pier.
    upload_2020-6-12_3-39-0.png Vnak photo
    Route 66 end point looking EAST towards the Midwest...

Lil32 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

La Posada is one of the coolest hotel I have ever seen .Many famous people stayed there , Einstein, Earhart, John Wayne . Ate lunch there , it is a must see if you are in the area, btw you can stand on the corner in Winslow Az.

19. atch

atch

It's been about a year since the last post.

Any updates or additional information?

Anyone got a Rt. 66 trip planned for this summer, now that Covid restrictions are loosening up?

20. A Route 66 road trip is on my bucket list. But probably won't happen until I retire and finish the 57.

Mike

21. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I reiterate…. La Posada in Winslow. Wonderful place.

I hope to make the trip in the Model A next year. Will be looking for suggestions following your trip...

which direction are you going - or both?

John

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

atch, I understand wanting input from fellow rodders, but I'd suggest locating and supporting a Route 66 specific website. It won't have the traditional car guy perspective, but it hopefully will have a much greater input from travelers, with more up to date info. Laser focus on the wanted info is what the 'net is all about.
    To add what little I can to the conversation, I picked up a Route 66 Passport in Kingman a few years back, that included a map and stops along the way to get 'stamped'. I just laid hands on it and it refers to the following website www.azrt66.com I hope there are other such regional places to gather info.
    I can also vouch for the drive from Seligman to Kingman as more relaxed and traditional than I40. Don't miss Hackberry. www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4YXdu-GTu8

Special Ed, Lil32 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  23. Lil32

Lil32

[QUOTE="RodStRace, post: 14078412,
    I can also vouch for the drive from Seligman to Kingman as more relaxed and traditional than I40. Don't miss Hackberry. www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4YXdu-GTu8[/QUOTE]

24. atch

atch

RSR; I agree wholeheartedly. I have a whole shelf full of Rt 66 maps and books. I also have a folder full of website links on my computer. I still like to hear other folks' personal stories and experiences though. Also the comments on here might help someone else.

RodStRace likes this.
  25. ken bogren

ken bogren

Stop and talk to people, and not just at the cafe or motel. Some of the best conversations we've had along the Route were just asking or answering question with locals. Linger a bit taking photos of some spots and quite often a local will approach you and ask whats up.

My stock answer is we're just a couple of route 66 fans hunting history.

Be prepared to spend a hour or so though, people love to talk about their town or place. :)

I asked a ? in a small town in OK and we got invited to the guys personal blacksmith shop collection. Taking photos in another smll town led to a local spending a hour or more telling us the history of the town.

In one small town in NM a guy who saw me snapping photos of murals actually chased us down to get us to come back to his place because we'd missed it. Another hour ... it's no wonder we only go 100 miles on some days.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    firstinsteele and Special Ed like this.