Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When did Wagons become Cool Customs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, May 19, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

When did Wagons become Cool Customs?

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

When HRP finished Mrs HRP's family wagon lol
    Always loved wagon, must be from all our family and scouting trips, including; sitting backwards going down the road, a number of Drive-In movies, and the usefulness of the laydown back later in life..

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

617E25E0-ADDD-4FBE-9CE3-60C4B9623401.jpeg

1958 when I did this ‘53 Plymouth wagon. Can’t see it, but it also has a cut down Caddy grill. Note the tonneau cover over the cargo area

4. I dig it, daddy-o. That's a real groove...
    8360da25055aa1f58aaf19f27401ba93.jpg

5. I would bet that the Nomad/Safari wagons had a lot to do with it!

I don't know how "cool" my '55 Handyman was but this was back in the mid '60s...
    5th car - 1955 Chevrolet Handyman.jpg

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Its one I hate to admit. There are some really cool wagons out there. Theres a real sharp mildly chopped 57 that ive seen at KKOA, Ive given serious thought to bringing it home with me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    jakespeed63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. pitman

pitman

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. When hard tops got too expensive.

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. The '52 Ford wagon which was a fairly new car was customized and featured in Rod & Custom in October 1954, before the Nomad & contrary to popular belief Ford was the first to introduce the buying public to the 2 door wagons, that started in '49.

I won't deny that the Nomad is considered a better looking car but this very wagon inspired me to drag our old wagon out of the barn and bring it back to life.

Wagons gained in popularity as hot rodders & custom guys alike got married and need extra room for kids and having a way to haul things.

Since the our wagon belonged to ladyhrp she oversaw the build but Al's version was always in the back of my mind. HRP

11. Thank you, but we both know they where popular long before I got ours on the road. HRP

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  12. frank spittle

frank spittle

I believe he is asking about mild customs which never caught on but wagon popularity started the surfer's woody wagons in the 1950s and then the Nomad/Safari wagons a decade later became cool cars to fix up and cruise the drive-ins. My first total "do-over" of anything was a '57 Nomad in 1966.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the back of our minds we always knew wagon were cool...we just didn't know it.
    The So-Cal Woodie / surfer scene instilled a love of the earliest of the Station Wagons in all of us.

Then we saw 100s of Wagons/Deliveries tear down the 1/4 mile in the 60s, 70s & 80s as Drag Racers took advantage of the extra weight over the rear wheels.

With all that history, it's kind of odd that it's only been in the last decade, or so, that folks have decided "I want one of those".

bchctybob and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. vinfab

vinfab

Here is George Cerny's wagon, an early 50's build. george+cerney+10.png george+cerney.png

rod1, OzMerc39, Puka and 12 others like this.
  15. HRP. I am in no way trying to imply that the Nomads/Safaris were the only popular wagon. I grew up in Southern California during the 50's and early 60's, I can remember a number of wagons and sedan deliveries in my high school parking lot back then. The surfer movement was at it's high point about that time and wagons, sedan deliveries and hearsts were very common. Some were stock, a few were customized but most were beaters! They remained the most popular with the surfer crowds until the custom van's came a long in the 70's.

16. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When did they "officially" become cool? Who knows. But wagons and custom wagons have always been "actually" cool.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  18. Wagons not being cool?
    Blasphemy I say.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  19. When did Wagons become Cool Customs?

Somebody didn't tell these guys. HRP LONG ROOFS

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. No offense taken. :) HRP

21. Two door wagons are cool..

Four door wagons are parts cars.

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Don't be a hater!

[​IMG]

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

24. There was some very cool 4-doors... Mercury, Buick, Olds, and Dodge all offered 4-dr hardtop wagons at one point or another.

Fingers and Fordnut40 like this.
  25. 55wagon2.jpg 56safarindrive.jpg I've had a couple wagons but I guess I'm just a coupe guy...sold 'em both

Fordnut40, OzMerc39, Puka and 14 others like this.
  26. Jay71 likes this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I always had a passing interest in the Woodies and Nomads but I am late to the party of wanting one . Now a days a Chevy ‘55 four door would be a keeper to me .:D

28. Well I was close. Tell you a story. My 3rd car was a '55 Ford Ranch Wagon (poor man's nomad). It was fast and clean. I crashed it after many adventures and the drive train went into a '55 Victoria (my first race car). But I had another old wagon that I used to transportation and had to sell it the week of my first date with Edye (my rent was due). When I showed up for our date on my old Norton her dad walked out and said, "At least you didn't show up in that old wagon." I guess he figured that her virtue was safer on the bike. LOL

Lepus, jakespeed63 and AndersF like this.
  29. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

30. I passed on a 2 door wagon to get a 4 door one.
    I actually like them better.