Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So, let's play a game. Best hot rod or custom for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Let's say you have a hypothetical amount of money, let's just pick a random number say $20K and you wanted something to drive daily, using hamb standards, pre-65.

This car needs to be something that could commute 20K miles per year, be dependable, decent parts availability, etc.

Please use Pro/Cons to get a good idea.

I'll start.

I think the 55-60 Fords are overlooked a lot. I am building one now.
    Here is just a random grab from CL. to back up my point.

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/d/houston-1957-ford-custom-300-fordomatic/7113792147.html

https://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/d/omaha-1956-ford-victoria-black/7120641047.html

Pros-
    They had the Y block, with either a stick or automatic. They have heat, some AC and parts are mostly available. They can be bought for a decent price in most places. They ride and drive nice. Plenty of room for the wife and kids. FE drops in, 302 is an easy swap. Aerostar springs are a cheap easy way to lower them.

Cons-
    The only issue is when it comes time to overhaul motor/tranny. More expensive to rebuild. Some of the cars were 3.73 rears, so highway speeds can be limited. The early 55/56 cars had oddball rears prior to the 9" in 57. Depending on your geographical area, some are prone to rust.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. A Boner

A Boner

How about a lowered 1960’s Chevy short bed P.U.Truck with newer V-8 and O.D. Trans. I Personally would probably go with a way newer version G.M. junk yard engine though.
    Pros-
    Looks good and earns it’s keep...minimum depreciation.
    Cons-
    None really.

37 wes, Elcohaulic, nunattax and 7 others like this.
  3. It's funny this thread came up this morning, Saturday I went to look at a 1964 Ford van and I made a offer, I'm waiting to hear back from the owner, the van has a V8 and automatic transmission, it's in great condition and we talked about using it as a delivery van for Brenda's flower shop.

We could use it for around town delivery's and day to day activity's.

It's been a long time since I depended on a hot rod as a daily driver, but my Model A pickup was the only car I had for about 6 years & at that time Brenda's daily driver was a 1940 Ford sedan with a 283 and a original transmission & rear axle, she drove the sedan to work, to the grocery store and to take the girls to school. HRP

ffr1222k, Gizzy, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

You can get the long beds for about half the cost of the short wides. Pickup have a crazy following around here. This is pickup country. It makes them plentiful, but everyone wants them, so there's that.

31hotrodguy, little red 50 and Tman like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

assuming that your insurance company offers full coverage for a classic ride on a daily basis - I do not think that it can be limited to one particular make or model - a lot depends on how far you must drive & what is normal traffic - good reliable drive train - good gas mileage - good functioning suspension and brakes - good visibility looking out from inside to exterior lights that make you visible to others - wipers, heater/defroster & A/C - etc

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm out! This was just a few cent's more but I'll play just the same.
    Pro's - It's solid and done inside and out.
    Con's (to some) - All stock stovebolt running gear.
    [​IMG]

i.rant, clem, slim38 and 12 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice! I would definitely drive that daily!

Also, 4 doors are fair game as well. Those are more practical, even though you lose points for cool factor.

8. 1964 El Camino.

Pros
    Parts availability. Can pretty much get anything, anytime, anywhere to keep downtime to a minimum, which is a big plus in something you're gonna depend on daily. Any engine/tranny combo fits. Drives, handles, rides great. Can be used as a truck.
    Cons
    None

LSGUN, treb11, customline3859 and 9 others like this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1036.JPG Our 55 Chevy served us well as our main car for many years. Reliable and easy to repair.

i.rant, treb11, 1946caddy and 9 others like this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

No brainer, Tri5 Chevy in a landslide.

11. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

I'll play! Daily driver/work truck, 1964 Chevy C10. Smallblock, granny box, 4.10 gears. Mild accomodations in squarebody PS/PB upgrades. Still running original wiring and dash, 6,000 miles added in the last six months. Recently passed it on to my youngest, just turned 16. All maintenance parts are cheap and readily available. Never depreciates in value, make new friends every day we drive it. And a new lifelong HAMBer is created. Too much winning.

37 wes, treb11, Nostrebor and 4 others like this.
  12. So far I've "liked" all the suggestions. :rolleyes:
    But I am blessed to live and drive in Texas where daily driving a rod/classic is less painful than doing the same in the Rust Belt. In years past I lived in the Chicago suburbs and I didn't then and wouldn't now have the heart to subject anything special to me to daily driving in those circumstances. I would drive whatever vehicle in my stable I least cared about on 'sloppy' days.

37 wes, Roothawg and olscrounger like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is assuming decent weather conditions etc. Not talking shooter cars for you Upper NW guys. I forget, since I live in OK.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. Back up about 5 years ago I had a stone stock 64 Ford Falcon. 260 CI. 3 on the tree that I drove almost daily I didn't drive it on the days I had to haul trash to the dump .

The car was good on gas and constantly got thumbs up, the only negative thing was the lack of air during the dog days of summer.

I wish I still had that car. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    37 wes, Elcohaulic, ffr1222k and 5 others like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes
    I totally agree, the ElCamino has to be one of the most versatile vehicles ever produced.
    Granted, they won't haul a huge load like a full size pickup but they will look good and ride nice while using it within the scope of their intended purpose.
    When I think back about the 65 I had in the early 70's and all the things I did with it I can absolutely say I would have another one as a daily driver.
    Mine was a factory 327/4speed/12 bolt car.
    20160822_132550.jpg

16. I would like to drive a '64 Ford custom 2 door. 289, auto trans, power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning. My dad had one "new" for a company car, and I always liked the lack of chrome and the poverty caps.

For a "daily driver", I would want it as comfortable as possible. If I want to drive something unrefined and fun, I would drive the T...

Roothawg likes this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've thought this many many times.
    Something to use year round, here in CO it pretty much needs to be 4x4.
    Albiet it gets off topic for here, but a willys overland on a blazer or comparable frame. Either a mild SBC or a smelly noisy turbo diesel.
    Set it up with heat and AC, put a hitch on to drag the boat. Haul the dog, groceries and some ass if needed too

Rogue_Rider and Roothawg like this.
  18. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

I concur. I drove mine full time to school, work, play for a solid 6 years. Been a great vehicle. 327, 200-4R, 3.90 rear. [​IMG]

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Easy, a rust free 1956 Ford pickup with a 289. Bob

20. I have driven multiple 60's C10's as daily drivers over the years. They are still reasonable and make great daily drivers that can also haul junk. I would like to get my 66 to where I could drive it daily, but my engine is still at the machine shop to replace the one in it that drinks oil on cylinder 8. I figure if I had $20k to spend, I could have a really nice early 60's C10 as a daily driver.

21. I like the idea of a mid 50s Ford or Chevy, but after considering the El Camino, I must admit it would be pretty practical as daily if there are only 2 people involved.
    Pro... if you are more of a truck guy like me, I like the ability to just throw almost anything in the bed of the truck and haul it around.
    Even a Ranchero if you like the Ford drivetrain, but the Chevy would be cheaper and easier to repair I think.
    Con...finding one with no rust

MO_JUNK and Roothawg like this.
  22. I think my 51 GMC is going to be perfect for me, but we are looking for a Wagon for Lavin to drive and for us to road trip in.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

This game is so different for us retired guys.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jim, what do you mean? No commute?

25. One a buddy is currently building for his soon-to-be 16-year-old daughter on a shortened Suburban frame to be her daily driver... He is also building another for his son who is younger that will be on a Blazer chassis.

Attached Files:

26. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

55 chev full.JPG Tri 5 Chevy with the 100 mile towing insurance from AAA

olscrounger likes this.
  27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

D25B55E8-2846-49BD-96DD-19E764A37278.jpeg Well , when done this will be my daily driver. Six in a row , manual trans. and a 12 bolt passenger car rear. Yee haw. Car wise , ‘55 Chevy sexy sixer, 4speed and a nice 3:36 geared rear.

charleyw and Roothawg like this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Can always do this.

Roothawg likes this.
  30. Any Chevy product from 55-64 everything is reproduced and parts availability is great.
    Cheap to build and keep running as a daily.

Fords of the same era are strong runners but can be pricey depending on engine and tranny combos.

forget mopars as not slot is reproduced and what is is spendy.

Chevy gets my vote from a cost and parts availablity standpoint

Hot Rods Ta Hell and 31hotrodguy like this.