Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help ID’ing some Ford? brake backing plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alienbaby17, May 16, 2020.

1. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Hey all,

I’m looking for some help getting a positive ID on a pair of old Bendix backing plates I found while cleaning out my garage.

I have a ‘55 F100 and used to have a Model A project that was using F1 brakes so I had a lot of this stuff over the years. I believe they are Ford truck backing plates but a couple of the part numbers are worn away.

The backing plates read “Bendix” on one side and then “4895?-R” on one and 489??-L on the other.

They measure about 12” across.

I have seen some ‘56 F100 backing plates that said “48951-L” and“48952-R” that could be the same as mine. That also might offer an explanation as to my missing part numbers.

I don’t have a use for them anymore and want to know exactly what they’re from so I can sell them with an accurate description. Hopefully someone can give me a confirmation based on this info and my photos. CA5B34B5-821F-44FD-B4CB-AB2E51509090.jpeg 5B045F3D-0511-42C6-9741-E7A4980ADF6B.jpeg 73695A6C-9C42-44B9-AF19-D0A0EA41FDA2.jpeg

Thanks, Jay

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I hope you find the answer to your question here.
    I had suggested several times in the past if somebody with a broad knowledge of brakes could possible start a Brake backing plate ID thread (even if split up into flathead and OHV vehicles) which would be of a tremendous value to many of us.

All I have is a Ford rear flange diagram which may help you move forward in the process of elimination.
    Bearing size can also help you cross off what it is not...

Attached Files:

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I have a 1954 F100 diff and have attached pic's which will probably tell you that it is not that.
    The flange impressions appear to be different.
    If you really need the number from it I will do my best to get it, but it will be awkward, so if you don't need it particularly that would suit me even better... IMAG2393.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Thank you for your reply and all of the information. I appreciate the time it took to supply that.

I agree that it would be nice to see some kind of compiled knowledge base with part numbers.

Maybe I should have specified this in my first post, but I am 99% sure these are front backing plates not rear. One thing that I think confirms that is that they don’t have the holes in them for the emergency brake cables to go into them.

I think I’m going to go back out this evening and give another crack at cleaning up the part numbers but I think I’m just going to end up erasing anything that is left.

5. Those are F-1 or F-100 front backing plates. Same part from '48 to '56. Haven't really paid attention if there were part number changes over the years.

You should check around and see if you can find the anchor pins and washers; kinda useless without them, lowers the value, too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. sport fury

sport fury

the only reason I can think of that makes these front backing plates left and right sides is that this is when brake shoes and hardware are installed. the leading and trailing shoes then would make the pre-assembled backing plates left and right. I can not find anything else that makes them a reflective view of each other. anyone know of any other reason for the R and L?

7. alchemy

alchemy

Like Rich B says, definitely try to find the anchor bolts. Basically worth scrap value without them. Or maybe they would be useful to replace some really rusty plates that you could rob the anchors from.

8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Hey Rich,
    Thanks for the reply and the positive ID. I remember discussing F1 brakes with you when I was building my Model A.

Unfortunately the anchor pins and washers are nowhere to be found and probably long gone. I’ve moved recently and think some things will never resurface. They will probably turn up the day after I sell these.

Sportfury- first, awesome drag plaque in your avatar. I’ve never seen that one and spent the last twenty plus years around Minneapolis.
    Now that you mention it I also can’t understand why they are left and right specific.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Jay

9. View attachment 4689730
    Look at relationship of the mount bolt pattern to the wheel cylinder location; the wheel cylinders are clocked a few degrees toward the rear. This permits the hose to clear the kingpin boss on the spindle.
    1-1 f plate.jpeg

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    sport fury, RMR&C and Hnstray like this.
  10. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Wow, good eye, Rich.
    That makes sense.

sport fury likes this.