Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What year did the cowl disappear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, May 16, 2020.

1. The "one-piece" kind.

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

The 62 Corvette still had them, Trucks had them till 55 I think

sgtlethargic likes this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If your talking "cowl vents", Plymouth had them through 1956, if that's not what your talking about, forget it and I go hang some more bird houses....

Hnstray, lothiandon1940 and scotty t like this.
  4. For Ford the cowl started to appear smaller after 32.The 33-34 have a longer hood,and part of the cowl is under it.By the time the side folding hood ended it was largely gone disappearing under the front lift hood,

5. Squablow

Squablow

Even the T cowl was riveted to the subrails and would have had the quarter panels attached all in one big piece at the factory, most loose cowls are just cut off, I can't think of any car that has a bolted-on cowl in one big chunk.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

i haven't drank or smoked anything, but it got confusing here. are we talking firewalls, cowls, or cowl vents?

Hnstray, X38 and The37Kid like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you mean stamped out of one sheet of steel, the 27 T would have been the last Ford with a one piece cowl. The model A cowls starting with 28 are made up of several pieces. The newer they get the more and possibly smaller pieces all fastened together to make what serves as the cowl.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  8. I still see 'em here on the HAMB all the time.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to help, but I don't understand the question, or what the end result is that you are looking for. Bob

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

EXCEPT for the 28-29 Fordor & Cabriolet cowl.:) Bob

CSRAFALL2014131_zpsd818ddb4.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    sgtlethargic likes this.
  11. About the time the ducktail hair style and blue suede shoes went out.

12. 1937 for Willys.
    42814_028315044da2_low_res.jpg

sgtlethargic likes this.
  13. My 1963 b600 bus has one.
    A cowl vent and a removable bolt on cowl.
    If you count commercial stuff if could be still going except the pop up vent part

sgtlethargic likes this.
  14. primed34

primed34

I'm more confused than usual.

rusty valley and The37Kid like this.
  15. clem

clem

How were the Ford ‘32 roadsters and rpu done ? Or even the closed cars ?

16. Cowl top is a separate stamping from the sides.

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It wasn't a simple progression. Firewalls on '20s cars were almost always separate pieces. Some manufacturers/coachbuilders took the rear edge of the hood a distance past the firewall well before 1930 – sometimes leaving a gap which allows you to look into the footwell when the hood is open, which I think is quite cool.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 1948.
    And we haven't had milk since.

Sorry, I don't understand the part about a "one piece" cow.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. Rand Man

Rand Man

I think it’s just a style/design question. As per the photo, the cowl is a stand-alone unit, located behind the hood, and in front of the front doors. I have collected a handful of model T and A cowls. 32 Ford had a cowl. After that, they started to disappear, as stylist started to blend in the design elements. It could be argued that most manufacturers had moved on from the the “cowl” by the mid nineteen thirties.

20. squirrel

squirrel

cowl2.jpg

This is what you're wondering about. I took the liberty of cropping the images and combining into one.

This cowl is one piece...now...but it's made of more than one piece. The firewall is probably spot welded to the body panel(s), there might or might not be a seam at the reveal line, below where the top meets the sides.

So....are you asking when they started making cowls like this? or when they stopped? or when what specific design feature changed?

I'm confused, too, still.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All cows start out as "one piece"...which probably will change if their final destination is the diner table

Rickybop likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "that way". The major change was when the fenders became one piece, and met the door, so the cowl "disappeared". Is that what you mean? If so, it started happening around 1940 or so, depending on the car make. Hoods got longer, and covered more of the cowl, and fenders changed shape considerably as the grilles began to get wider, and the hoods got wider. By 1949, cowls were completely gone on most cars, although they stuck around on pickup trucks through the mid 50s. Big conventional cab trucks still have cowls, look at a new Pete 389.

23. Are you thinking RHD because of that hole in the firewall ? Thats to high for a steering column, probably from a manifold heater.

24. rusty valley

rusty valley

lots of early cars had the ignition coil stuck thru the firewall as an anti theft devise. you would need to be inside to hot wire it. some even had a cable from the key switch to the coil which had the actual switch mounted on the can

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The shape may have changed but every car is still made with a cowl.
    SPark

26. squirrel

squirrel

so....you want to know when the A pillar became permanently attached, at the belt line.

Late 20s, early 30s.