Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eddies T roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eddie scorpion29, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Hey fellas I haven’t been on this thing in some years haha but I’m stuck on my T roadster build and I need some help so I finally logged back in to my HAMB account and decided to ask here!

I’m running a 265 Chevy small block in my T roadster and It won’t fire up I have a feeling it’s not getting spark it’s got a stock 2 barrel carb on it I don’t really know too much about these engines this being my first project car I’ve learned most from YouTube haha so if anybody has any suggestions anything will help! Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta and Stogy like this.
  2. SR100

SR100

Was it running before? If so, what changed? Is it running points or an electronic module? If points, the condenser (a little metal cylinder inside the distributor) could be bad. Electronic ignition modules have been known to go bad too.
    Have you done the basics: Is the ground connection good? Verify if there is spark. If so, the timing is likely way out. If not, do you have power to the coil?
    Look for arcing inside the distributor cap (a bad thing...). Make sure the rotor is making connection with the button in the center of the underside of the cap. Lots of little things can stop an ignition system from operating. Be methodical in your troubleshooting.
    P.S. Make sure that you are getting fuel. Some 'ignition problems' are in the carb...

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Is that "Henry" steel? Looks to be in really great shape. How bout some pics of the whole car...

eddie scorpion29 likes this.

5. Shutter Speed and loudbang like this.
  6. Yes original body I had to make some bracings when I got it it was just the skins she’s not pretty but sure does look alright for a hot rod hahah IMG_2118.JPG

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Raw Jalopy...good on you minus a few modern details it could be 1958 first turn of the Hoodlum key...good luck on finding TDC and keep sharing the entertainment...that's a heavy hitting 9th post by the way...;)

8. Nice job! Looks like a "survivor". I would keep it just like it is and not add a ton of chrome...

9. OFT

OFT

I like it!!!

eddie scorpion29 and loudbang like this.
  10. butch27

butch27

Looks great..

eddie scorpion29 and loudbang like this.
  11. Wouldn't hurt to shorten the steering column, and put on a smaller diameter steering wheel...

OFT and eddie scorpion29 like this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

I would probably shorten the steering column too, but I actually like the steering wheel. Sure is a slick little HOT ROD.....drive the wheels off of it!
    8E813648-13EB-4B10-8462-D286B38EF9AC.png

OFT, Stogy and eddie scorpion29 like this.
  13. tjm73

tjm73

I like the rawness of this car. I'd have to drop the radiator a few inches and put a grill shell on it but not a '32 shell. What's the transmission? Are you running a 'glide? A powerglide would be sweet in a bucket. Model T's don't need many gears when they have V8 power.

I agree with shortening the column a bit, but also with keeping that steering wheel.

I hope you post more pics.

14. 66gmc

66gmc

Great job! If those pictures were black and white I would have never guessed it was a modern build. Personally I would have a hard time making too many visual refinements, its damn near perfect and it really captures the function vs form spirit of an early hot rod.

slv63, Stogy, A Boner and 1 other person like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Go, Eddie!!! Yeah, chop down that steering mast...5" or so.
    A young friend up the street has a steel 'T' project like this, nice body with a poop deck...On a '28 'A' frame.
    He wanted to chop the radiator down, (not leaving much area!) so I helped...
    We fabbed a front crossmember, (flat channel) and moved it back, then bored/sleeved some holes in wishbones, hung the spring behind. Radiator dropped in front of now rearward member, height is great. So is the preferred 'look'...Too-long hoods on T's make 'em look like...Deusenbergs?.... Nah, old Chevys. :eek:

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also believe it could use a little improvement in the radiator/grille shell area. While not a real fan of "period flames", I think the whole thing works well.

17. Yea eventually I’m gonna shorten the radiator and put a t grill shell on it I haven’t shortened the steering column it’s a stock model a box and Column I found but she shill has more stuff I need to do but she’s driving now haha I’m running a stock 3 speed behind the 265 sbc

slv63 likes this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A three speed is plenty in a bucket. I'm always amazed when people put four-speeds in them. I had a 3-speed behind a 270 Dodge hemi in mine, and the car was easily driveable as a two-speed. First gear was used mainly for smoking the recap slicks. The current incarnation of this car is going to have a hopped up 8BA with a '50 Ford transmission, this time with an OD for some "high speed highway travel", although I find these cars to be excessively windy at anything much over 50.

19. A Boner

A Boner

Yes Eddie, more pics!

20. Koz

Koz

Just perfect! I do agree with chopping the column a bit just for drivability but the radiator doesn't bother me. Maybe a generator? I've seen many vintage cars that had the same thing and it's actually kinda cool. Just drive the wheels off. It's your car. Do what makes you feel good.

21. studebaker46

studebaker46

neat little hotrod now that we have all of the cosmetic stuff out of the way what needed to be done to make it run? Tom

22. A Boner

A Boner

The radiator/grill shell area & the “period flames”, while not up to “today’s standards”, sure look like a “kid” built it.....and in my eye, add to this Hot Rod’s charm!

23. The reason I suggested a smaller diameter steering wheel, is that once you shorten the steering column, that wheel would end up in your lap...
    I actually put a larger wheel (13") on mine as it had a little 10" one when I got it.