Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tri 5 Chevy Two Tone Parting Line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, May 16, 2020.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Girlfriend is buying a 1956 210 2 Door Sedan that's all red. Thinking of painting roof white but one detail is needed that I can not see well enough via photo's. Where did Chevy part the two color's? Would the white stop inside the gutter so body color showed on outer edge of gutter or would the white carry over the gutter and part on the underside where it meets the 1/4 panel window frame joint?

Example
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    alfin32 likes this.
  2. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

There is a great thread up recently that has several nicely done 56 210s in it. My friend just bought an original paint sedan and here is a shot or two.. I posted it on the other thread. Should answer your Q. 580168016.jpg 580168000.jpg

3. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

After digging around at many 56 pics, it looks like the factory may have done it both ways. I saw a couple with the black top and the gutters black, but the white top to me looks like white gutters. I will give my buddy a call and clear it up for you later this morning. He is a lifelong body man, so he will be able to answer any questions I throw at him.

4. squirrel

squirrel

a close up picture would sure answer the question. These pictures show that it might be white on the outside of the gutter...but hard to say, and also no idea where the white ends. A few pictures with the door open would be really helpful.

Neat car! thanks for the pics

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. Their is a book that shows the Chevrolet paint scems. I can't remember which one.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@cheepsk8 it's still hard to see but thanks for the photo. If anything it tells me white tops only on 56 Sedans were done. This is one of those details I've never thought I'd need to know.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I have a couple books that show the paint schemes on tri-5s, but again, they are small pictures that don't show a close up of where exactly the paint line is. For example, this is how I did my 57 Suburban, but it's a truck, not a car, and really isn't what Johnny needs.

seam.jpg

olscrounger and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Even though it's a Suburban Jim I really like how that looks. It makes for a clean break between two colors. Details either make or break the look for me. I turned down two other cars my girlfriend looked at because of shoddy small details. I can't lie, and major shoddy work/cover up's.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@squirrel is it possible to see an open door picture?

10. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I will get all the pictures and info as soon as Jeff calls me back. I think he is away from the house this morning, but he did text me back saying he would call me next time he went to his shop. I really would like to know myself now. Looks like it was a fairly rare factory paint option.

squirrel and Johnny Gee like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh wow Thanks.

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

It seems I remember masking down the center ( more or less) of the gutter. On the seam sealer. Its been over 50 years.

Special Ed and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

At underside of gutter where it meets 1/4 glass body frame?

Special Ed likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I feel as if I'm being pulled into two different directions. Do what's right or what I think is right? Lol
    [​IMG]

Special Ed and squirrel like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

keep in mind this is a truck, not a car...they painted the truck interiors a different color than the exterior, and the way it was built was different. And this truck came all one color, I invented the two tone myself. It worked, though.

twotone.jpg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's exactly what I had in my mind Jim of thinking to do as well. But? :)

17. squirrel

squirrel

I bet it would look fine.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Ok here are the pics. Gutter is white and cut underneath IMG_20200516_120250_01.jpg IMG_20200516_120336_01.jpg IMG_20200516_120324_01.jpg

19. squirrel

squirrel

thanks, that makes me feel good :)

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@cheepsk8 perfect. Just what I wanted to see. :cool::)

loudbang likes this.
  21. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Anytime. I love that car. Has a 64 model 327 and muncie m20. Drives like a dream. Good luck with your paint. Post pics too.

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

olscrounger likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As soon as she releases or should I say when she let's me. Finished the deal today and it's here now.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just off the press.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. nice! I feel like I've seen that before... was that car in a... magazine article? Youtube video? Something... the wheelcovers make me think I saw it a few years ago in something... like maybe a roadtrip piece...

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I didn't speak with seller on that detail but my girlfriend said it went coast to coast and border to border on some sort of excursion.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

That red '56 is beautiful. I hate to be "that guy", but the wheel weight on the front screams out to me! The only flaw I can find.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The cross bars are coming off. They are knock off's and they are heavy. For now in the wheel department I'm just going to paint wheels red and put my dog dish's on it. I think it'll look much better that way.

29. Squablow

Squablow

I like the crossbars, but dog dish caps would look nice too. Another HAMBer posted this on another thread and I really love the way this looks. Makes me want to do my '57 just like it.

1_56_apr18.JPG

Jim Bouchard, alfin32 and Johnny Gee like this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Found this online.
    [​IMG]

Jim Bouchard and Squablow like this.