Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can cars look too low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, May 9, 2020.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Bob... Do a search for...
    "The Dreamster"
    1934 Ford Roadster.
    Built in Sweden.
    -RB

Hnstray and The37Kid like this.
  2. Why? What's wrong with it?

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  3. drew1987

drew1987

This is what I juts did. That’s after 5 years of saying the back was too high. Changed my world. In love with the car like the day I got it. Handles and rides way better. Only complaint is I need to modify the arm on my Rear view mirror cause all I get is street or headliner lol

Attached Files:

Hollywood-East and joeyesmen like this.
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

This a beautiful car , BUT the running boards are only an inch or so off the ground. It was built to sit a this height and the boards are a good three inches below the bottom of the rims. Even if the suspension design allows it to rise four to five inches to a safe scrub line, first it will ride like shit and the tire to fender opening will resemble a 4x4 and totally ruin the flow of the car. In my opinion it was built for display and that is fine if that's what you want, but to me a car has to cruise at 70 safely or it is not a car. It is an artistic statement and I enjoy looking at it. It just depends on what you want out of your creation. Larry

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN8771 (2018_01_21 21_05_00 UTC).JPG looks right to me

anthony myrick likes this.
  6. Of course! Laying frame is Laying lame, in my book! I like a low car as much as the next guy. But, to me, laying a car on the frame when you park it, is "Posing". When you have the perfect stance, wether its a Rake or Taildragger, i believe it looks the best when its the same height all the time, parked or rollin. 3wheelin, dragging the rear, hopping is for Lowriders. Not Hotrods oc Customs, IMO.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's tough to take a good photo of a car while it is moving, that is why I like seeing them parked. Bob Skärmavbild%202019-12-20%20kl.%2007.55.10.png

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you can always watch it move over to the trailer.

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  9. j hansen

j hansen

Some more of MY pics of the car:D Skärmavbild 2020-05-14 kl. 08.52.58.png Skärmavbild 2020-05-14 kl. 08.54.22.png BTW never seen it on a trailer.

10. toml24

toml24

1955. During an intermission novelty race this jalopy is racing without the benefit of any tire or a wheel on a 1/4 mile dirt track. It can be done and was done. Completely crazy but remember, this was 1955. Good clean silly fun. That's very low!
    1955-RH14-lb-84 wins wins with no tires.jpg

34 GAZ and The37Kid like this.
  11. Country Joe

Country Joe

I like cars lowered a bit and usually I feel to each his own but, when I saw this 55, it made me think of those ASACP comercials with the sad looking shelter dog looking out from it's cage, just begging for someone to come along and rescue him. Or like a circus animal being forced to do unnatural tricks against his will.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    ekimneirbo, olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  12. I'm with HRP on this one, but I don't like the cat-in-heat look...

IMG_2862.JPG

olscrounger likes this.
  13. I read that it has air suspension. And that it was built with fiberglass and carbon fiber (I don't see why they call it a 1934 roadster).

14. Stink bug is when the rear is jacked up, like some 70s ____ (hot rods?).

15. 2A4BB6A7-CABF-44F7-A4F7-9E6CE3C7D32E.jpeg
    Love those traditional slammed rides with adjustable suspension.

Nostrebor and Special Ed like this.
  16. So you’re agreeing yeah?
    Plenty of goofy shit out there.
    With understanding, planning, execution and realistic budget these things and more can be altered and still be correct and functional.

Which leaves a small group of people needing all 4 rare qualities being able to pull it off. They do exist! Sometimes it’s a well balanced crew that’s needed, they do exist.

Otherwise the rest of them are likely to build some damn goofy shit

17. Ride height doesn’t define “goofy” for me.
    Plenty of traditional sitting (west cost styled) rides out there built as bad as some slammed stuff I have encountered.
    My stuff ( current bus and step van build ) are built low. Meaning we did an alignment at ride height and adjusted how and where the suspension mounted from that. It’s not show car but well constructed functional.
    Currently planning out a couple more projects. My 49gmc when started was going to lay body with modern components, plans and desires change over time. Current plan is having the axle dropped and lowered springs in the back. Simple.
    Saving the adjustable tricks for something else.
    All builds have a vibe or look. All styles look good to me especially a well built/planned one.

Special Ed likes this.
  18. hudson48

hudson48

As a passenger in Earle's Merc at CCR 2019 I can tell you AGAIN that this Merc drives like a sportscar sitting low. If I was in USA and wanted bags done I think Earle would be the man.

The37Kid and Special Ed like this.