Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why “so far” ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hnstray, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had a friend who would compliment with, "Not perfect, but very, very close."
    But he did it with a goofy expression and voice so you just knew it was a thumbs up or 'LIKE' button.

I've never used the title subject phrase, myself..... :rolleyes: .......so far.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. 73RR

73RR

While the majority of us are not likely 'journalists', it would help if more folks would refer back to their 9th grade English class for some guidance. Just sayin'......

3. This is how I understand all "so far" statements in a build thread... it is a "Build Thread" which means something is in process...

another example... your buddy is building/having a house built...
    you ask: "hey Joe, how's the house coming?"
    Joe responds "looking good so far"

you immediately know from those 4 words that it is not done, and what has been done is looking good and Joe is happy with the progress..... nothing negative to infer in that statement

just my 2 cents... (wait, is that another "So Far"-esque statement?)
    Chappy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Yes I do, but when I was in school English and sentence structure was not my best subject, reading comprehension stayed with me but I was more interested in auto shop and history, typing wasn't one of my subjects.

Then late in my life along came the computer, I wasn't interested and I was happy to be completely oblivious to what a amazing piece of technology was available to me with a flip of a switch, then I was required to purchase a computer for my twin daughters to continue their education on line.

My daughters informed me that there were things that would interest me, there are sites about cars and on line clues that focused on things that I found interesting but I wasn't equipped with the tools that was required to communicate, I am not a writer, I couldn't type and my spelling & punctuation left a lot to be desired.

I for one can read and comprehend almost anything posted, regardless of spelling, punctuation or sentence structure although I do appropriate a period or comma every now and then.

I do have a problem trying to follow a long drawn out thread that has no break and go's on and on, they are extremely hard to follow.

Again, not everyone on the hamb hasn't had a good education, many members use English as a second language and with the age of some of our members they may not have finished high school, don't be to quick to discourage anyone that participates, the hamb is about cars, not a English class. HRP

5. As I was about to leave this thread, I mentally stumbled upon a scientific litmus test to establish if adding "so far" to a positive expression is innocent of qualifying the original comment.
    So your wife has spent the last three hours preparing Christmas dinner with what looks like another hour or two to go and you are passing through the kitchen taking in the sights and smells. You pause a moment and say, "Dinner seems to be coming along great........ so far." You will have your answer in a moment. :eek:

Feel free to take the occasion to try this test yourself. :p :rolleyes:

6. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is just human nature to critique and offer praise based on what appeals to us. Some of us are sensitive to it and sometimes it truly is offensive the way it is expressed. It always surprises me when a new member says that they have been lurking for years but I wonder if fear of being critiqued is part of the reason. I joined in '06 but lurked for at least 5 years which I regret. The Hamb was a much tougher place back then and many a member has been shown the door because of it.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like, you know, right now, I heard that!

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Exactly! I had this very analogy in mind at one point as pass/fail use of the phrase.

Thank you for posting that.....it makes the potential for discord very clear :D

9. pitman

pitman

Litmus test!
    Love the metaphor... :cool:

10. Man, you opened a can of worms. LOL

Ben

11. A Boner

A Boner

There are more than a few, looking good “so far” builds, that go off on a tangent. Especially when the project stalls, gets sold, and a new owner takes over!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dumped that to support the Sports Programs. Just compare the net worth of an English teacher vs. an illiterate sports icon.

13. The original phrase is, "so far, so good", which does have a subtle undertone of encouragement and hopefulness. Shortening that to, "so far", seems to add a whiff of expectation of failure.

So......
    Don't count your chickens until the eggs hatch.
    It ain't over 'til it's over...... or until the fat lady sings.
    Wait for the other shoe to drop.
    Even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while.
    Business is doing great...... to date.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Murphy's Law and the Peter Principle.
    What goes around, comes around.
    .........And so on, ad nauseam. So many ways to say it. :p

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I would say it has a lot to do with traditional hotrods and customs . This site is made up of guys building and sharing their builds for the comradery of others in their hobby. How many builds have we lost or are never shared because of the fear of being ridiculed over some part of a build that a viewer doesn't like. Most people on a forum are looking for support in one way or another. When someone says Your project looks good so far, it causes many to think maybe I should quit posting while I am ahead and it causes others to say that's why I won't post my project. Guys have said this very thing on here. There is no reason to make someone think they may disappoint with something that hasn't even been done yet. This hurts the forum that is all about sharing traditional hotrods and customs and the amount of new builds of them. I am sure some will say if they don't have thicker skin than that then tough for them but its really tough on all of us because not all builders are the kind that take criticism lightly. If you are ok with losing more builds then I don't have anymore to say about it. I personally like to build my hobby to as many participants as I can. I can overlook things I don't like without criticism but I can't see cars that never get posted.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

What a stupid post. [​IMG]

So far.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes... SO close, yet...so FAR.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I think that ,at least some of the misunderstandings would be eliminated if folks would just READ their own posts .

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this would make a great name for a car. Painted similar to the SoCal livery but SoFar substituted for the name. Coming along nicely but evident to all that it is far from complete. The SoFar special!

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Bless their heart"
    [​IMG]

20. Terrible80

Terrible80

21. belair

belair

@Hnstray How do you feel about "irregardless"? ;)

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

So far describes my car pretty well, it’s so far from being on the road and I’m so far from working on it that so far all I have done is look far into the future and hope for the best.

The37Kid, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There comes a moment in every post, regardless of the topic, or the semantics implied, where a bit of humor, is good medicine !
    fun bus,02 (3).jpg
    Famous stolen line from the classic film, ( All about Eve ) " It's about time the piano realized it has not written the concerto "

24. "So far" might mean the person reserves the right to alter their judgment and possibly rescind their positive praise as things progress.

25. 392

This is a WTF post.

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

So far,this has missed that; ,Some one did say how great something was done!! ,Too that point and after that read into it a lot of there own BS,failing to really know there job was not finished yet so far!!! I'm stocked at how many buy into being shocked by political correctness scenarios of late.

chryslerfan55 and Flathead Dave like this.
  27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ So far the evening is going as planned. Dark.
    [​IMG]

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since you asked, and only because you asked,.......it’s a very common grammatical error that I do not find particularly annoying. It is ‘harmless’, or neutral, in that it carries no positive or negative meaning that a listener could misinterpret.

Given the ‘ir’ prefix is attached to some other words, such as ‘regular’ becoming ‘irregular’, it is easy to understand how it commonly occurs.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This thread has taken too much space, so far...

"So far" on this board is to mean that something or someone has come along on their build. They have come "so far". "So far" this where I am...
    Your build looks good "so far"...Nothing about it is negative unless you are small dicked and have a mental problem at a nudist camp.

As far as grammatical errors and punctuation on the internet boards and other media is concerned, so fucking what? This is what I've said, so far...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.