Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why “so far” ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hnstray, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It seems every build thread has at least one post complimenting the good/great quality of the build, either esthetically, workmanship, engineering, or all three, and then ends by saying “so far”. Why?

Why the qualification? It is, at best, a backhanded compliment that really negates the preceding praise. At it’s worst, it implies doubt that the builder will be able to sustain the high standards they have already demonstrated.

My opinion is, the useless addition of “so far” is just another thoughtless habit of speech in the manner of “you know?”, “just saying” and countless others.

The difference is, the others are just mildly annoying......this one is more personal in its literal interpretation.

Ray

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. It's like offering up an apology to someone and then adding.........but.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Precisely.

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Do folks know they are say this? Just saying:)
    To be serious I really thing most people say things that they don't even know they are saying. I know a guy that drops the F bomb like its a regular word. I know for a fact that he doesn't even know he's saying it.

5. Hmm...seems I am guilty of this and have never really considered what it necessarily infers. Thanks for pointing it out and I will try to do better. I think it is just something I have gotten in the habit of saying without considering how it can come across. :(

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

This thread is going along prettty good,......so far.

7. I'm guilty of complimenting someones build/progress with the addition of "so far".
    I don't mean it to be an offhanded compliment, but more of an acknowledgement of appreciation of the build in it's present stage, with the understanding there's more to come..and with that acknowledgement undoubtedly a continuation of quality build already presented.
    Never considered it (although now brought to my attention) as negating my compliment.
    I compliment in the sincerest form, not tossed around without thought and consideration.
    I respect and appreciate people posting their builds, I wish more would.
    I get where you're going with this Hnstray, just voicing a different thought process.

weps, X38, chryslerfan55 and 8 others like this.
  8. I’ve got a thread going about work being done to my car by some motivated talented guys. “So far” would be very appropriate in that thread, because when they are finished with their part I have to take over!

Lepus, Squablow, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Two friends walk into a bar.
    Lucky bastards.

wraymen, Flathead Dave, Tman and 11 others like this.
  10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

never too late to screw something up!!!

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

It actually applies to my builds. I believe the first ninety percent of the build takes fifty percent of the effort and that the last ten percent, trying to reach perfection, takes the other fifty percent of the effort. I'm getting long in the tooth and I dispense with the last ten percent. I admire those who go the extra mile but it's not the way I roll.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

There are maybe a very small handful of people here that know how to write in a professional manner. The rest of us just put down what comes to our fingers without thinking about it. There is nothing much behind any of it.

13. I don't think there is any disrespect or underhanded thing to it, I think it is just saying that they have done some good work so far. nothing more.

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

With all due respect, followed by (insert screwed up, disrespectful statement).

In hindsight, I'm 100% guilty of using that one, namely because disagreeing with someone is sometimes taken as disrespect. I remember I was arguing a case in Court, and the Judge was handing me my ass, and I remember saying, "Your Honor, with all due respect...." and then trying to explain my case. What I was actually saying was, "I respect you and your position of authority, but you're fucking wrong." After he threw my case out, I appealed the decision and ultimately a 3 judge panel in the Appellate division unanimously agreed he was wrong, and ruled in my favor.

IMHO, a differing opinion is not disrespectful unless it's a personal attack.

15. I've never really noticed "so far..." but there are the posters that have to find something wrong with your car everytime you post a pic. That's what I find annoying.

clem, Baumi, Kan Kustom and 6 others like this.
  16. belair

belair

It could also simply be an acknowledgement of the fact that the past went pretty good, and a sideways expression of hope that things will continue in that direction. And while it may or may not express pessimism, it is a tacit recognition that one does not know what is waiting around the corner. Radials or bias ply?

weps, chryslerfan55, A Boner and 4 others like this.
  17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

If someone lays out their grand plan to build a car, then posts up about installing the engine, or wiring the dash....

Then isn't it completely reasonable to say how nice the project is coming along, "so far?" :)

I'm probably guilty of this without realizing what it inferred. So I'll try to avoid it. Thanks for the heads up.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. trollst

trollst

So far....57 joe, you'd be right, but some people view disagreements as a personal attack. I have a life long friend who is like that, gets hurt feelings and takes a disagreement VERY personally, it has affected our friendship to the point it's just about over, I've grown very tired of his selfish immature behaviour. Me, on the other hand......so far....I love a good scrap, makes me feel alive.
    Car wise, I think the term happens because the project isn't done and it's to the point of "so far", with more to come....

chryslerfan55, Lepus and pitman like this.
  19. Ray, this quarantine is taking a toll on us all, we seem to let minor things fester and irritate us and in the past would only make you roll your eyes.

Nothing on the hamb has really changed, guys like me still misspell on a regular basis and very few have the gift of writing like a journalist.

I doubt the replies you are referring too are implied in a negative way or as you implied as a open handed insult, most comments are made with little thought as to how they will be perceived by people other than the OP, and we all know when the comments are meant to be negative, they are blatantly obvious.

Hang in there my friend. HRP

chryslerfan55, Tman, Lepus and 4 others like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think this is an open handed insult....:rolleyes:o_O:eek::(:confused:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. One thing that I have noticed over the years is that it is difficult at times to get across your intonations when posting. Nobody can see your smile or your frown or your look of happiness or disgust when you type something out and post it. Sometimes this leads to misunderstandings that likely should have never happened. Pair that with the fact that we all come from different parts of the world and what may be meant as a complement in Germany may come off sounding like criticism in the United States or wherever the reader resides.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think what folks mean to say is, "What you've done so far is great. Hope it continues."
    Don't think "so far" is meant as a derogatory , negative insinuation.

wraymen, X38, ffr1222k and 5 others like this.
  23. ........See, that's exactly where voice intonation would make it clear as to what the person means.

24. ....You placed the "so far" in the body of the sentence which gives the meaning clarity as opposed to adding it at the end after a pause which makes it sound like a derogatory comment.:) It's all about semantics......Don.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree and I said as much in the sentence beginning “my opinion is......”. To be abundantly clear, I did not say it was intentional....and thought my comments emphasized that. What I did say is, regardless of thoughtlessness or intent, the literal interpretation implies some degree of doubt about future efforts, and that is unfortunate, especially when it wasn’t intended.

As for this observation being stimulated by Covid 19 stress (@HOTRODPRIMER ) nothing could be further from the truth. That “so far” thing has been an annoyance to me for as far back as I can remember. One other clarification.....the use of “so far” can be entirely correct and useful, depending on the context or circumstances being observed. A high risk multi-step process may very well merit a “so far” as the steps proceed successfully when each remaining step is still fraught with uncertainty.

I simply believe it is unnecessary to tack that on to an otherwise complimentary comment. That’s all.

Ray

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

My project was moving along well so far, then I tried to wire it...………….

27. Ya know, having grownup on the east coast arguments were a part of a conversation. You had to learn to defend your position with reason and facts. Everybody got heated and threatening. But in the end we came to an agreement and had a beer and a laugh. When i moved to the west coast nobody wanted to argue, or understand that approach. Just make nice was the path. I really felt lonely without an argument and i learned nothing about any other position/side.
    Everybody has a comfort zone in a conversation. More often than not it is not my position. I have learned that i can just walk away, although i don’t always pay attention to what i have learned.

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, remember when proper English and sentence structure
    was taught in school? I guess that went away when cursive writing was
    eliminated.

29. M R DUKS !
    M R NOT.
    O S A R ! C M WANGS ?
    L I B. M R DUKS.

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

”Tom helped his uncle jack off a horse”........”Tom helped his Uncle Jack off a horse”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.