Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2020 Banger Meet Thread - 4 are Essential***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2020.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You came across as weee sensitive laddy. Just because you saw something, doesn't mean other haven't. I grew up in the ghetto, traveled a bit and seen some stuff, I don't lecture people about it.

Bullying? HA. This place is a sad, pale, socially polished version of what it was. The HAMB was proper fucking hostile once upon a time.

Your build is great. I hope you get to run your rig and have a blast. TROG is an exclusive and popular event, competition is fierce. My speedster builds are done so I can do 1 run a year and that has a very strict gate keeper. Lots of people get butt hurt cause they don't get let in. Sometimes it is as George Carlin said, it is a big club and you ain't in it.

The next event I want to do is that hill climb in Colorado, your A would be perfect there. Slap some 4.11's in the ass and go.

As a friend, who is dead, once said, "don't let the bastards get you down."

burl, Crazydaddyo and rwrj like this.
  2. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

Don't go there dude. I'm 100% aware that my seeing something doesn't mean others haven't. That was not the point at all and if you don't understand that, leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 97

Please back off yourself and "don't go there dude" . You may think you are somewhat special and deserve respect, (and it may well be so in some circles) , respect is earned here by actions not self promotion , people you are trying to force your opinion onto are well respected members here. I think it is YOU sir that has stepped over the line. If you carry on batting on about off topic politics ,war and violence and how others should think, you are going to get our Banger Meet thread closed!
    AND WE DON'T WANT THAT please leave it out and let's just be here for the bangers! Need help with your coupe? great! Banger meet is here to help.
    Remember this is an international forum and not everybody has the same view of war and politics as you do.
    I think your build is great, and if you want to enter TROG , go for it. However not everybody sees it as grass roots at all. To me it is another media driven ,source of advertising income , promoted and planned to line the promoter's pockets...far too commercially driven and sterilised for my liking.

Maybe the Hamb Drags in August would be a great show for you to attend !

winduptoy and rwrj like this.
  4. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

Oh fuck me. Great. Got it. I'm done.

fourd and Fabber McGee like this.
  5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then you don't get it, do you? If you cant or won't read past an opening statement and offer a critical response, that is your privileged. I read your whole diatribe and responded.

You got a whole group of people that empathize with your building a cool car that you want to run at a specific event. Hell, some of us where here when Elrod floated the whole TROG idea out. It was such a great idea, that it has become a social event of such note and exclusivity that people build cars just to try and participate, sound familiar?

winduptoy likes this.
  6. 97, isn't that chopped phonebooth with the quickchange and V8 period correct? or is that just a field filler?

Bottom line is this, if you want to go to TROG go, not everyone feels the same.
    Always remember this though, not everyone is going to like your car, sorry, it is just reality.
    Personally, I like the cars built with imperfect paint, built by the guy with one eyebrow burned off and missing a finger.
    He has earned much more respect than the guy who used his credit card to build his car. Get the point?

John

winduptoy and fur biscuit like this.
  7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Lighten up Francis.

You have been here just over a year.

If you think this is "Bullying" You would have been huddled in a corner 10 years ago when the likes of Germ would have lambasted you for the righteous diatribe you have graced us with.

winduptoy, hotrodA, burl and 4 others like this.
  8. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Sorry to see the discussion about the trog escalated and got ugly. Let’s not forget why we are here on the banger meet to share knowledge and perpetuate the love of the four. Here is a photo from the dirt drags a couple of years ago. IMG_1171.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

2016 TROG Pismo. All that drama, storm surge, rain, rutted and sand washed road to a packed and fenced in pit area that we thought was a dead end to a canceled race and flooded cars. Me and my pals were about to back out, a lot of chatter about this and that. My wife says to all of us big tough guys, “Really? All that time and money on these old cars for this? I didn’t come all this way to watch you sit in a parking lot, get down there and race your cars!” Sometimes we just need someone to tell us it doesn’t have to look a certain way and it’s not all about us. What a silly hobby I have. I love my wife, like my hobby and TROG was fun. 27FC1A7E-6E80-413B-9548-FBAA5E8F3367.jpeg F5915C43-5752-41B1-92A9-A5050DDB1B8E.jpeg 0756E363-4F6E-4D02-B66C-B18D956347BD.jpeg

10. guitarguy

guitarguy

Anyhow............

Speedster project 111.1.jpg

11. 97

Ya got me good John, I didn't know which T coupe you were talking about.... but I think your question was really directed at Binger's post?
    I hate to think that my post drove our friend away, I could just see someone hitting the "report" button and shit hitting the fan.
    I don't think there are any field fillers at TROG , are there ? . The Coupe looks HAMB period enough, I guess it depends on what the TROG period criteria is though ! It must fit in or they wouldn't have accepted it, would they?
    Dunno about the T roadster at 3.10 mins in the video though , looks fibreglass to me...maybe not, might just be high end fit and finish and shiney paint! I do know the TROG rules do say no fibreglass!
    To me the whole street race in Santa Barbara, with sign boards and all sanitised and signwritten etc etc, just doesn't seem the same as the original concept of a vintage gentlemen's beach race in Wildwood.
    Not for me to critique the event, or anything about it ..
    My idea for a car is similar to yours, and my idea of a vintage race is El Mirage , or Bonneville, in saying that I haven't been for over ten years now, (10,000 miles away ) and last time I was, at Bonneville I saw the beginnings of big advertising banners and event sponsors and the event participant shirt I received was covered in some modern energy drink adverts. Progress I guess! I'd never wear it!

12. 97,
    the "T" I was referring to is the one showing on Retson's post video. nothing directed to anyone really.
    Personally I have not been to the TROG events. I just have no interest after I did some asking around with the organizers. You see, my race cars have part on them not acceptable, my junk pile does. There is a reason those parts are there.
    ElMir and B'ville have their own problems, but I still go. At least the rulebook is written down and published and the clocks are accurate. Like everything else, it cost money to put on any event, sponsors help, so do field fillers. Pismo beach event incurred some really ridiculous fees that had to be paid in order to hold the event, yes, Kalifornia to thank for that.

Several of us here have seen many organizations come and go, some we miss, others not so much.
    Stay safe, I feel an attitude adjustment cruise coming tomorrow, J

winduptoy and Retson the Racer like this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

come on girls . no fighting online . we are just simple car peeps . this forum is for questions , answers & help when needed ...................... steve

Shutter Speed likes this.
  14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I didnt mean to come off as an asshole about things. I understand about not being accepted to the TROG due to parts on my car.Knowing their restrictions I have never applied. In addition to the cost of getting the car and my family to either coast for the events was the biggest reason I have never been. Living in Wyoming and Being a GenX "kid" and living paycheck to paycheck makes it hard to make events on the coasts. I also understand about promoters needing to raise money to make these events successful. I think many people have missed my point about it not being "Just for fun" anymore. The Colorado Dirt Drags and Hill Climb are still like that. No brackets no timing. Its more like a big sandbox and every one brings their toys to play. My comment about my car being too shiny was a little tongue in cheek. During the tech inspection for the dirt drags a couple of years ago I got teased about my car being too clean. haha. I built and painted my car to the best of my abilities and in doing so it surpassed many cars with fit and finish. I did not build the car specifically for any event, but I built it to be driven and enjoyed. Hence the T-5 and full comfy interior. when it all comes down to it, build your car for yourself and enjoy it any way you see fit.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  15. low down A

low down A

those 45 ci harley's and indian's drag racing on the pavement remind me of the kiddy pedal tractor races at the county fair. now on a dirt track there a whole nother kinda fun

winduptoy likes this.
  16. noboD

noboD

John, no need to apologize about your car. You built it the way you wanted and use it the way you want. Not sure how this whole discussion went sideways. I know it doesn't matter but I like your car as is.

barrnone50 and Binger like this.
  17. GuyW

GuyW

winduptoy likes this.
  18. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Not very likely, Henry built millions of Model A's with a solid fuel line from the firewall to the carb. The engine is bolted directly to the frame, not much movement.

rwrj and GuyW like this.
  19. 97

20. One on the front tied from the driver's left rail to the right wishbone. Also have VW type "Shimmy" Damper on the front! Try to get everything in parallel with the full weigh on the car. It helps to reverse the eyes on you spring; and put shock absorber connections far out on the axle as you can! More info than you need, Doug?

21. Usually with a popular racing event the promoter, organizer or venue owner has to go to subscription (invitation) for a number of reasons; most notably size of the venue! Then of course the Community Regulators have their say (that's one of the reasons I understand TROG is not returning to Santa Barbara). I think TROG was offered the use of the Historic Santa Margarita Ranch (100 miles North of SB). My guess is TROG turned it down. Perhaps with their disastrous experience at Pismo Beach they're through with Calf. BTW there will be F.A.S.T. time trials at Santa Margarita the 18th of July. The RPM Drags, I think is scheduled for the Fall.

22. HEY! I resemble that remark! But, I didn't get "The Cup" for being "Best Dressed"! RMMR2015-2 (2018_02_11 18_51_06 UTC).jpg

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i saw that also . needs a couple of rubber line . that looks good , but could be a bummer also

24. John,
    You look great there, the only ding I see are the not period correct shoe laces, they appear to be transparent.........

John

25. maybe I am asking the wrong question, how easy is it to run a a dual carb set up with no choke? I am going to be Running dual 81's from uncle Max.

Binger likes this.
  26. I rarely use the choke on any of mine. It normally starts with a couple of pumps on the accelator even on cold days. If not, I pop the hood and set the choke on. By the time I'm out of the garage and closed the gate it's warm enough to flick off. On the Coupe the fuel tap is that side so it's no biggy as I have to lift the hood anyway.

27. I keep forgetting, these aren't Zeniths. I have never run the Strombergs.

28. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am about ready to run dual 81s from uncle max also. Great service and quick turn around too. I had him build a 97 for me too. IMG_2827.JPG I ran a single 97 with a fuel pump and didn’t need the choke on it. I don’t expect to need it with the pair.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. railcarmover

railcarmover

The best part of the game isnt exclusive,its inclusive.

The solitude and satisfaction of the shop is where I get the most out of this thing

winduptoy likes this.
  30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I have never needed a choke on my dual set ups. But i drive in So Cal weather. It never gets cold here.