Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac guys: Chieftain wagon value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37slantback, May 13, 2020.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every once in a while when browsing ads for cars, I see a number and wonder how it stacks up with NADA. I am not say that's the Golden rule but it's a yardstick to hold up to asking prices.

So why would a 55 Chieftain 2dr wagon be valued less than a 4dr wagon? Is it the accessibility or ?

Thanks
    Don

2. Squablow

Squablow

Of course the 2 door wagon would be worth more. NADA is fine for late model stuff for the banks to use to dole out loans and shit but it's otherwise worthless for the value of classic cars.

I think the reason is they have to use recent sales numbers to calculate prices and since there's so little info out there on the sale prices of old cars, and such varying conditions, it just can't be calculated accurately.

Hnstray and olscrounger like this.
  3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The NADA has 4dr higher than 2dr. That's the question.

4. Which is exactly opposite from what the actual old car market might tell us... and is what I think Squablow is saying and I might agree with.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Two door wagons are a rare option and highly desirable, definitely worth more in the same condition. The NADA book either made a typo.... or a mistake. Simple.

Bones

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This is EXACTLY right. Further, no serious auto dealer uses the NADA orange book to evaluate cars he is either buying or trading for. May use it to show a customer as justification of asking price. But as a dealer tool, it is almost worthless......and even more incorrect by some multiple for older cars for several reasons.

Most all new car dealers and probably many used car dealers of any size, use internet access to real time auction sales to research current market values. Even those values can and do vary significantly by region for vehicles of like model and equipment/mileage.

I suppose the Old Car Price Guides can serve as a 'conversation starter', but I also believe they are highly inaccurate for the majority of real world transactions.

Ray

7. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok. Thanks guys

8. Many times the info used to evaluate price comes from latest Auction prices and listings. If one of those models has not been sold or at Auction in years the price may go back to old info.
    Been watching Pricing on some other tin Woodies and auction prices have been stupid, and then reflects into buyers Guides.

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, values are kind of interesting to try to track. I have almost always seen 2dr higher than 4dr except in this case. I was just curious. Maybe there was a design flaw or something is what I was wondering. It's always interesting to find out info like that.