Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2020 H.A.M.B. Drags: What Are You Thinking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 13, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 2020 H.A.M.B. Drags: What Are You Thinking?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

nochop, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well ,everyone is probably getting antsy but I think you have to trust your gut feeling, Ryan. Start as your guiding principle, your family, you and all of the fellow hambers. As some locals open up that will be your biggest indicator. To that maybe wait 2 or 3 weeks ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I say go for it. I also think it will be cancelled.

nochop likes this.
  4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well put. I think you are going about it correctly.

nochop and loudbang like this.

5. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Time to start doing things again, if you are sick stay home. (common sense)that should be practiced in regular flu seasons too.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I should mention this before things get out of hand... I am not interested in hosting anyone's opinion on the whole "economy vs. life" debate. Please stay away from that shit fellas... It angers me... and this is my house, so... I'm asking nicely. :)

What I am interested in knowing is pretty simple. Does opening up registration and planning on having a drag race in August while keeping a very close eye on everything seem irresponsible to anyone?

The final decision will not be made by politicians - so, no need to bring them up here.

7. badvolvo

badvolvo

Direct answer NO, not irresponsible at all. GO FOR IT. We will support your decision either way.
    My feeling is the race is a great get away, we could use that. I understand your concerns, and appreciate the thought you have put into it.
    I would be fine with a no refund if we cannot race, donate the money to cover your cost and the rest to MoKan.

If it's a vote, I say "Go Man GO"!

8. Doesn’t seem irresponsible to me, you are closely monitoring the situation and prepared to cancel if it doesn’t seem safe.

It would be a shame to put all the work in if it has to be cancelled but rad if it is possible to be a go.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sounds like to me, that you are going about it properly! Moving forward, with a warning it may not happen! Makes sense! No one can really see the future, you just have to give it your best shot! I’ll be there if it happens!

Bones

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm behind your thought process 100%, Ryan. If we are able to gather for the HAMB Drags in August, I'll be there.
    Also, as far as opening registration -- If I send you $$ and the event gets cancelled, I don't want my $$ back.

On a side note, I also have a compromised immune system. I have Crohn's Disease and am on the drug Remicade (via infusion). Washing hands often, being careful and somewhat of a germophobe has been a way of life for the past 4 years.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think the right thing to do in that circumstance would be to take registration money and then give people an option if the event is cancelled:

1. Get full refund
    2. Donate registration fee to MoKan Dragway

I can't think of any expenses I would have other than t-shirts... I will prolly need to get creative on that front.

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

August - Speedweek - Sorry only one at a time,,, but GOT FOR IT!
    Show them Rodders have back bones!!

13. alchemy

alchemy

Isn't alky a great disinfectant? ;)

Just don't print the date on the T-shirts. If you need to cancel the week before we'll all understand.

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Ha, That didn't stop us last year! I need to get out of the house. I'd register just for the hope that it would happen.

15. badvolvo

badvolvo

I'll still take a tee shirt, I need a new one that says "GO MAN GO".

16. DRD57

DRD57

I think proceeding cautiously, as you have outlined, seems reasonable and responsible.

loudbang and Lost in the Fifties like this.
  17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would say start the registration. It will give us something to look forward to. I know that we will respect your decision if you choose to have it or not. Have to think safety first, for you, your family and the rest of us..

18. I am pretty sure your line of thinking is right on. I would suggest opening up registration and playing it by ear until then. That is sort of the approach we are taking with some events this year and seems prudent considering everything going on. I was tasked with leading a small group at my workplace to make a plan for getting about 125 folks that are currently working from home to be able to come back to our office. There is a lot to consider, but seems you have thought that through and considered what needs to be considered. Helping out the groups that have taken a financial hit through this deal (like anyone that makes money on events) is also important.

19. I'm going to be the opposite. Cancel and schedule for next year. The risk is too high for way too many people. I know way too many people like Malcolm. My part of the world is exploding with this. By cancelling, you remove the risk of people making poor decisions. If you have been watching, this virus isn't for old people or anyone with comorbidity factors. It hurts me to lose a years events greatly. This is beyond all of our control. Sometimes it pays to act responsibly. (not that I would know) LOL

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't want to get into this on the thread. Could you send me that data through PM?

I've been asked how I am plan to monitor the safety as the date approaches... I'll write that post right now.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

plan as if it is a go - your check list sounds good - as you have stated, health safety the big priority

loudbang likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, I'm not a scientist and I don't believe we have any epidemiologists amongst us. My old man, however, was a really well connected doctor and I call many of his connections pals. One in particular is, in fact, an epidemiologist. I know him to be a good guy that is driven neither by money or policy - just science. Put plainly, he's a nerd of the finest kind.

Anyway, my plan is to use him and my own health risks as the date approaches - Figuring, if it's reasonably safe for my bunk ass immune system, it should be reasonably safe for a normal schmuck as well.

Dr. T has agreed to look at numbers and models, explain them to me, and give me reasonable conclusions as we get closer to game time. If he gives me the green, it's on... If not, I'll have a tough decision to make.

Anyway, point is... Whatever decision is made, it will be as educated as I can make it given my limited education on the subject.

23. New data that came Monday is indicating this is more than a respiratory disease now. Will see if I still have the links and send them to you via PM.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Logically, facts/circumstances as they currently are, cancelling this years event is the answer.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I don’t think it’s irresponsible at all.

It’s hopeful.

It’s also realistic by saying up front that this has a good chance of not happening.

I think this is the best way of going about it

nochop, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  26. @Ryan
    Here's my thoughts.

I could say that I can't afford to go anyway but we both know that I have never had enough money to go, so that would be moot, wouldn't it.

Missouri I think is leaving it up to the cities to make their own rules. I don't know who they would handle a drag race in the country. I know that the local roundy round track is open and they are shoulder to shoulder in the stands.

I don't know about the hotel or if Joplin is even open. We both have friends there so it is not like we couldn't find out. I am wondering if they would let us camp at the track? Maybe if we promised to not act a fool except when the track is open. I am getting a little old and creaky but I got an idea that I got one good campin at the track left in me.

I am not one who wants to be responsible for getting anyone sick either. Especially people that I like, but there will no doubt be someone there that i don't like so it will be OK. :rolleyes: :D

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I also have an auto immune disease which I have had for the past 23 years and the Rheumatologist also told me the Corona Virus would kill me if I got it so for the past 3 months I have sheltered in place.

I now have all of our food delivered and anything else we need we use Amazon. My doctors visits are now done with video over my Android phone which very well with me seeing the doctor and him looking at me.

I have no intentions of going to any events until I see things getting better or they come up with a vaccine for the virus.
    I do find it interesting that the age group with the most deaths is 46 to 54 years old and I really though it would it seniors more then this age group.

Mark Cuban hired a private company to select 300 hundred stores in the Dallas area at random and visit each one to see if people were following the guidelines such as how many people can be in a store at a time and if they were staying six feet apart and warning masks and the results of this test were kind of surprising.
    96% of the 300 stores that these shoppers visited failed the test.

That scars the hell out of me that people are not taking this serious and we may be in for another round of the Corona Virus.

Ryan use your head and gut feeling but I understand completely how hard this must be for you knowing what might happen to you or others if you do the wrong thing.

Stay safe and if you do make an error always try and error on the right side of history.

Jimbo

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Mokan is open with lots of changes in place to try to keep everything groovy at the moment. I’m sure it’s subject to change obvious but they are open and racing right now

chryslerfan55, loudbang and badvolvo like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just as "food for thought", I'll take the negative side of the idea.

I'm the "Show Coordinator" for 2 large local Car Shows, (July/Aug) and we have cancelled both.
    It take a LOT of legwork, meetings, business contacts etc. to put on a good show...none of which we can do at this time.
    And at this time, we haven't gotten an OK from either venue we use for the shows.
    It seemed like it would be twice as much work to put on 1/2 as good shows...if we were allowed to have the shows at all.

The final "nail in the coffin" was: HOW DO WE KEEP FOLKS SAFE ? We can't. Sure, we can sorta police show entrants, but we have no control over several thousand spectators.

Even if things worked out (venues, meetings etc.) and we could manage to put on the shows...It's an "old guys" hobby and a show run by a bunch of "old guys"...in this "New Normal"...it sounded like a terrible idea.

30. mark latham

mark latham

I live too far away and my schedule wouldn't allow me to attend as much as I would like to so I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak, but the T shirt could have all the previously planned dates listed and crossed out, kind of like an 80's hair band concert shirt. Just a thought.