Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead V8 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Christopher Miller, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Started to take apart the steering box after doing some research because it never turned smoothly at all.... and let’s just say it’s not looking good. This is a detour I was not wanting.

Shot bushing, slightly bent horn rod, and a whole lot of mess

IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG IMG_2984.JPG IMG_2985.JPG

Here’s the shot bushing

IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2989.JPG IMG_2990.JPG

Horn rod

IMG_2991.JPG

2. I can't tell from the pic of the horn rod but and that is a big but...you may be able to interchange with a car horn rod or even an 'A' horn rod. The crank pully has a ratchet nut on it (why they still have it on there I don't know) and you can back it off and the pully comes off with a woodruff key if I remember right.

Mike

Christopher Miller likes this.
  3. Thanks!

4. Been inactive the last few days due to a lot of body work being done on the Cab and it not being a very interesting report.

Things I got done today
    -started the alternator fan mock up
    -Body work on the cab (almost done)
    -looked into the floorboard pieces and made a new one

Dad helped me a bunch with the wooden floorboard as I’m not too experienced with it and he loves wood pieces.

IMG_3051.JPG IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3050.JPG IMG_3055.JPG

Still have a good amount of work on it but it’s cut out and fits which is a good improvement

5. Also the firewall got painted today

IMG_3057.JPG

Surfcityrocker and 34 GAZ like this.
  6. Cowl vent was filled with a liquid rubber that should solidify over night. I tilted the cab to have the cowl level. That way when I drop the cab back down the rubber will be at a slant therefore allowing water to flow to the front instead of sitting in the cowl. Still have to add a new drainage tube
    IMG_3058.JPG

7. Chose varnish today and was looking for a dark brown so I went for the middle color

IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3110.JPG

8. Finished up the weld work on the passenger step up. It’s been a while since I could get back to it but I’d say it turned out well. Still a lot needs done, but the solid foundation is there now

Adjustments.JPG
    IMG_3121.JPG IMG_3125.JPG

simplestone likes this.
  9. Got some small stuff done today.

-Finished some small body work things on the Cab

-painted the inner fender walls to match the firewall

-removed the old front motor mounts

IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3145.JPG IMG_3146.JPG IMG_2629.JPG

A bunch of parts I ordered came in as well so that will be a journey of new tasks such as installing the pin in the clutch fork

IMG_3137.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3136.JPG

10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Nice job. You're really working on your skills. MIG welding isn't a job for a breezy day outside though!

With regards to the small stuff, go grab a jug of Evapo-Rust, they got it at places like Auto Zone. It's ascorbic acid solution and works very well to get into the pits your grinder can't on things like the washer plates and other non critical steel items. Drop the metal in, leave it a few hours, lift it out, give it a quick scrub and rinse and dry and then prime and paint. I've found that is a modest alternative to sand blasting if you can't get, afford one or just don't want the mess involved.

Keep at it, keep learning. There's a lot of people here willing to help with good advice and experience, too.

Phil

11. Anyone know the best way to peen this pin over? It’s not as soft of a metal as the pin that originally came out so we couldn’t just hit it and it fold.

My dad and I thought heating it then trying to peen it was the best option. Would love to hear ideas.

IMG_3136.JPG

12. Painted some of the wood pieces with some spar urethane, really brings out the dark tone in the floorboard IMG_3154.JPG IMG_3155.JPG IMG_3156.JPG

13. Did some metal work then painted it to protect it from further rust damage

IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3169.JPG

Only had to patch up two spots. Here’s the other spot. Came out really well
    IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3172.JPG IMG_3173.JPG IMG_3174.JPG

Here’s painted with some POR-15

IMG_3175.JPG IMG_3176.JPG IMG_3177.JPG

I’ll probably do some mild Bondo work to mate that weld seam a little better before I put primer on it

14. Mart

Mart

Nice work.

15. Here’s another piece I got done. This is the transmission cover.

IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG IMG_3187.JPG IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3189.JPG

This picture helps to show the great penetration of the welds ensuring a good connection of the two metal sides
    IMG_3190.JPG

Here’s another area
    IMG_3191.JPG

This last area was almost like the first but hard to replace or make up a piece for it so I tried just filling with weld and see if I would just end up blowing holes but it actually went well

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

Did a II last clean then a sand blast and here it is painted with POR-15

IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3196.JPG

16. Also wanted to show this. Crazy to see it all start to come together even just a little bit

IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG

After all the body work that’s happening the cab needs washed inside so much dust makes the black shine disappear

Surfcityrocker and simplestone like this.
  17. Next major project will be the weld work on the driver’s side fender.

First thing was to remove all this black stuff under the fender which I assume was maybe tar to help protect against rust which worked.... where it was still there. If it hadn’t peeled I bet it would have been a real blessing. This truck is 84 years old though so it’s inevitable.

IMG_3201.JPG IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3207.JPG IMG_3208.JPG

Here’s the process as it unfolded

IMG_3209.JPG IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3211.JPG

Haven’t started the welding or even where to start but here’s some interesting previous weld “repairs” as well as the rust damage

IMG_3212.JPG IMG_3213.JPG

I’m guessing these bolts where to add some sort of stability after damage had happened

IMG_3215.JPG IMG_3214.JPG

This I’m guessing was just a hole filled with weld and you can see the plate behind that helped that process
    ...and here’s all the damage

IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3218.JPG IMG_3204.JPG IMG_3205.JPG

Not nearly as bad as the previous fender though which is satisfactory

18. Got the weld work done tonight. Extremely tired but it’s another thing off my list.

IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_3231.JPG IMG_3232.JPG

Petejoe and simplestone like this.
  19. Worked on the pedals today. I debated rebuilding them but it’s really not that big of a deal so i decided not to. They have a little play so I’m assuming the brass bushings are worn a little. I’ve done a little bit of this process already but here’s how it all went.

IMG_3258.JPG IMG_3259.JPG IMG_3262.JPG

Took the old pedals off to properly shine and sand the metal to get that chrome look. If anyone sees this and is interested in some metal petal inserts to mold your own rubber and potentially use them for your project let me know and I can “pay it forward”. I know people are trying to save money and these aren’t cheap. Also anything on this build that I’ve replaced you can always inquire!

IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG

Looking good!

IMG_3267.JPG IMG_3268.JPG

I know it’s not right now best of a job lower down but it doesn’t show so it wasn’t as important to me. It got two coats of clear coat.

IMG_3271.JPG IMG_3272.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_3276.JPG

Tape comes off!

IMG_3277.JPG IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3279.JPG IMG_3280.JPG IMG_3281.JPG IMG_3284.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG

20. Did something today I’ve been waiting to do for a long time which is put the transmission in for the last and final time. I needed a pin put in and the order came in so here’s how that went

IMG_3299.JPG IMG_3301.JPG

Also in this picture the fork was backwards and sadly I had to take it all apart after having it together to flip the fork back around. So for anyone seeing this in the future, make sure it’s the right direction! It will save you a BUNCH of time and energy.

IMG_3302.JPG

New bolts for the transmission to engine, pretty much everything got new bolts

IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG

It’s very dusty so it almost looks back but it just needs washed, which will happen as soon as this thing is rolling again

IMG_3308.JPG

21. Looking to put the drive chain together tomorrow but don’t have two bolts. We tried to buy new but nothing was right so I’ll just make them. One I stripped out of thread size confusion and one I straight up lost sadly.

Here’s one style I lost that’s not cheap or found easy

IMG_3309.JPG

It’s like a half circle type head on it

22. Got the drive chain assembly sealed up with new gaskets everywhere and it’s done!!! So glad this happened!!!

Had to make a bolt so I could finish this process of assembling

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG IMG_3323.JPG IMG_3324.JPG IMG_3326.JPG

23. Also got a friend to come over and help me put the cab on, Isn’t this crazy?!?!???

IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3336.JPG

It’s fully bolted down and ready for whatever happens next. Haven’t really thought of where I’m gonna go from here but it’s either the fenders and fender inside walls will get a lot of work to go on

Or

I’ll work on some of the interior pieces to get them put in. I need to drill and tap holes for attachment as well as a little bondo work to areas I had welded.

We’ll see. I have all my months planned out in notes so I’ll probably just do the next thing on the list

Surfcityrocker and rusty valley like this.
  24. rusty valley

rusty valley

starting to look like a truck again! great job.when trying to fill pin holes and thin spots a piece of copper or brass as a backup will help to cool it faster so less burns thru, and it leaves a sorta smooth surface on the back thats easier to finish grind than a bunch of weld bumps. sometimes old electrical switch boxes or dead welders will have a nice chunk of copper. keep up the good work!

25. I actually never thought about a plate helping create that smooth look but makes total sense. I don’t have much left to weld but if I can use this technique I will and post it on here to show.

Thanks!

26. 6V to 12V questions.

I have plans to convert this V8 Flathead Ford to a 12V system and already have a 12V generator. What else is needed? I know bulbs will need to be 12V but what about a 12V coil, is that needed? What all do I need to do this conversation?

27. Chris your gauges are 6 volt so you will most likely need to step the voltage down here and you will need a 12v voltage regulator to go along with the generator. Lots of threads on here about stepping the voltage down so search that out

28. rusty valley

rusty valley

if you use the bosch blue coil, then no ballast resistor is needed for the ignition system. then just 12 volt bulbs and you're done

29. Thanks everyone. Looking into all the stuff and I’ll show you all before I buy to make sure it’s all right

30. IMG_3355.JPG

What’s everyone’s thoughts on getting this?