Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can cars look too low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, May 9, 2020.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, just the word Lowrider.

I don't care what you call them, I know where there were invented, when, and by whom.

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's pretty clear that lowered "Custom's" already existed when the style was taken up by the Hispanic guys, who took it too more of an extreme. The first lowered cars were part of the Custom Car scene, not the Hispanic or Chicano Low Rider scene.
    Kustomrama may not be infallible, but to call them "some unknown rando on the internet shows how out of touch you are. Maybe you ought to check them out.

chryslerfan55 and Boodlum like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The roots of the low rider scene may go back to the 1940's, but the custom car scene with lowered cars was already happening, it wasn't invented by the early low riders even if it was taken to an extreme by them. This really shouldn't be an argument, the facts are the facts. If you have something that contradicts go ahead and post it.

Here's more: "As early as the late 1930s, Harry Westergard was customizing '36 Ford cabriolets and coupes out of his home garage in the Northern California city of Sacramento. Westergard chopped tops, incorporated grilles from more expensive cars like Packards and LaSalles, formed custom hoods, and lowered suspensions. He also shaved door handles, then added Buick solenoids to open the doors."

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/hot-rod2.htm

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/history-of-the-early-custom-car/#.Xrn02kRKiUk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not talking about custom cars.

I am talking about those that came to be known as Lowriders, as equipped with haydraulics.

You can try to spin this as much as you want, and still be wrong.

Those were pioneered by Latino men, just after WWII, often former aircraft mechanics, using surplus aircraft hydraulics, left over from the war effort.

There is no argument to have here. I grew up with the men who made these as my elders. Did you, or is this just something you read about on the internets?

I cannot get them to school you, as they are all now dead. Isn't fun how you can edit history, the minute my witnesses pass?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

chryslerfan55 and ekimneirbo like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm good here: "By the late 1950s and early ’60s, what we would now consider lowriders were finally hitting Whittier Boulevard in great numbers. Such fine rides wouldn’t appear overnight, however. California car culture and Mexican-American cultura would both develop and grow, each enriching the larger American culture with every passing decade."

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Yep.
    Let’s give a trophy to whoever wants to lay claim on doin it first.
    Meanwhile I will enjoy looking at old pics and articles.
    My students ask questions and these are some of the resources I use to help em find answers.
    My 4x4 students had no clue Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek were more than just names on tires.
    The tuner guys look shocked looking at old black and white photos of lowered cars, engine swaps, shaved handles.......

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, I believe that all of those guys are dead.

10. Yep.
    I also have to tell em Henry Ford didn’t invent the car.

Nostrebor, Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He didn't?! NO WAY!

Nostrebor, rooman and chopnchaneled like this.
  12. Shocking.

Nostrebor, chryslerfan55 and rooman like this.
  13. Magfiend

Magfiend

Agreed - not a fan of an open wheel car where the rear tire does not follow the body line around the fender opening. Give me a highboy any day over a channeled car, especially the extreme channels common on the east coast - just not my thing...

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm surprised they even know who Henry Ford is.......

One of my last bosses, a young a**hole who was a product of rampant nepotism at my last workplace didn't know a lot about a lot of things. Some entry level jobs were created and he got his foot in the door. When he got his first promotion, there was suddenly no longer a need for anyone to fill the job he left. Promotions came rapidly and within 5 years he was my department head. His daddy was the top manager for the personnel side of our location. When his Dad retired (under some duress), the son left too.......lots of people looking for some payback.
    Anyway, while trying to make himself look like a shining star to other management officials, he made a lot of bad decisions. When I (42 years experience) tried to explain that he was changing things that we had spent a few years getting them to work........and that maybe he might not want to" Raise his hand and volunteer" but just say he would "look into it"........then ask the more experienced people for some background history.........
    He turned and said to me in an arrogant fashion, " What we have here is a failure to communicate"…....
    I asked him if he knew the origin of that statement and he admitted that he didn't.
    Who in the he** has never seen "Cool HandLuke"? They have never seen "Deliverance" or "Bullitt". Of course they don't know Henry didn't invent the car.......they don't know any of the important stuff.
    When my asinine former boss left our office, I sent him a Utube video of Strother Martin uttering those famous words to Paul Newman.......to further his edumacation:D

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, there you go, the topic is lowered cars. The first cars to be lowered were customs. Period. I'm not spinning it any way, that's the history. I provided links showing that, it's time to stop arguing.

16. I don’t have to teach automotive history but I feel having a basic understanding of how we got here is important.
    Repair technology follows vehicle evolution. This sets the foundation for them grasping the fact that their education never stops.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

@sgtlethargic posted something that said "It began in Los Angeles, California in the mid-to-late 1940s and during the post-war prosperity of the 1950s. Initially, some Mexican-American youths lowered blocks, cut spring coils, z’ed the frames and dropped spindles. " I questioned if that was accurate as it wasn't how I understood it to be. Gimpy said matter of factly it was accurate, without anything to back it up, so that send me on a mission to look it up for myself. What I found proves that is in fact is NOT accurate. That's when/how this got hung up on what came first. Just sorting out the history here for posterity's sake, and future google searchers that end up here.

So then you understand why I've followed up on it.

18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would think that some of the basis for lowering vehicles may have originated from high speed racing on smooth reasonably flat surfaces like Bonneville and Muroc and transitioned to street driven hot rods. Pure speculation on my part, but racing has always contributed to the evolution of automobiles rather than the other way around.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean revise history. There is really no point here. You win. You can say anything that you want. All of the witnesses are dead.

If I take the time to write out my own slick website with incorrect information, I can revise history too!

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  20. Look at the stance and style of pre war coach work and European cars.
    Check out the Indy and early salt cars.
    Seems like a whole lot of stuff was influencing the customizing scene.
    And all around the same time.
    Seems like some of it was influenced by ethnicity as well.
    And remember that all hot rods are customs. Not all customs are hot rods.

chryslerfan55 and ekimneirbo like this.
  21. What's the point of contention? What came first, the chicken or the egg? The big bang theory versus string theory? Tastes great! Less filling!

Nostrebor and anthony myrick like this.
  22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Second the Conestoga wagon wheels with rubber bands. Yes on the too low.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think we settled it, I'll let Gimpy have the last word. It is what it is. Let's get back to the question asked in the OP.

24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Ok.........Does anyone think that cars can be TOO LOW? ;)

25. Went to a national rat rod show.
    My ride isn’t painted so folks call it one. I don’t really care, live music, cars and a swap meet and I’m in.
    Once arriving at the show, I noticed a large amount or trailers in the parking lot.
    I have to say I was kinda shocked. This was my first rat rod specific show. I was under the impression rat rods were the anti billet and or trailer queen rides.
    Lots or really cool stuff there.
    But I noticed why so many trailers were in the parking lot. Many were not functional. Very bad geometry, poor design......
    I’m a huge fan of low, never seen one too low. But I witnessed poor design and execution to a level that was crazy.
    Seems like the anti trailer queen crowd created a new version of em. I asked a couple why they didn’t drove em to the show and they replied with either uncomfortable or hard to drive, too hot, bla bla bla.

For me it’s can you drive it and do the mods work. Height is irrelevant if it fits the style and the owner/builder likes it.

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Hmm! Just noticed my post about guys wearing jeans below their beer bellies got deleted for some unknown reason. Guess the spare tires they had around their waists were too fat and wide to meet the guidelines, huh? :D
    Oh well, minds beginning to wander.....time to go to bed I guess.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. 392

To the original question id say yes, but to veer off like others have said with right equipment and thought some are down right bad ass as long as they are drivable.

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

Revising (or at least attempting to revise) history seems to have become a hobby for some guys on here, and that's a shame. That said, and to answer to the original question, no. If it can be driven safely for the existing road conditions, then the lower the better.
    Here's a similar discussion from 5 years ago.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-california-rake.984756/

29. Even the "drivability" issue is subjective. I live on a flat island with decent roads and very few speed bumps, so my T never scrapes. If I head west to the mainland, it's more of an issue. Just gotta be careful how and where I drive it, and I'm okay with that...

Special Ed likes this.
  30. 3053ADA6-2A9E-4370-B836-5D088CE26A09.jpeg
    Late 50s pic.
    Gonna try to talk the wife to let me set her 56 up like this. Would have to at least do an air lift set up on the rear due to it being a wagon to handle carrying extra folks.
    I like this “California rake”. My merc that’s been patiently waiting its turn, would look goofy sitting like this. Needs the early “Lowrider” look.
    An air lift or bags will be needed as well. Same reason as the 56 and to add a little more ability to clear dips and speed bumps.
    As far as revisionist history, I didn’t live it, I just read about it. But one thing that seems constant is how all this kinda sprung out around the same time. Put on hold during the war, then boomed after it. Different cultures/ethnicities/ areas of the US put their on spin on it.
    I like all of em.