Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester Carb ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol55, May 9, 2020.

1. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

This Rochester carb does not have a tag. Any idea of year FB611BBB-39D5-436F-88A6-926728A63F33.jpeg F87B0ACB-ED8C-48FC-8857-8F650417E7CE.jpeg 8E9F547B-6B10-4D6D-936D-AEE1F7439095.jpeg and/or what does it fit?

2. I had a 53 Olds that ran a carb that looked like that. You need to have a close look at the corners of the top for some stamped numbers. I believe that the identifier should be on the secondary side of the air horn, on the choke side.
    As for naming, the 4G, was a manual choke carb, the 4GC, was equipped with an automatic choke.
    The Rochester carbs were common to, Cadillac, Olds, Buick, and Pontiac. I saw one that looked like the one in your pictures on a 61 Buick.
    I never saw a Chevy with a factory equipped Rochester. All the 4 barrel carbs I remember seeing on Chevys, were Carter brand.
    Bob

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. X-cpe

X-cpe

Chevy used them too. I've got a complete engine under the shelves with one, and at least one manifold on the shelf.

4. Rochester was GM’s in house company. They made ignitions, starters and cigarette lighters at first, then in 1950 they started making carbs up until the 90’s. Most people associate them with Quadrajets, but that’s a small part of the story.

Around 1957 the chokes on 4 barrels were lower on the bodies, like that one.

Are you trying to rebuild it? (Pretty rough. Rust damage). Use it as a core? Sell it?

Mike’s or Carb King can look at the components and with measurements sell you a rebuild kit. They might be able to ID it, but these were on most GM products sharing components in different configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you hold the camera back a bit, and take some clear pictures from the sides and front and back, it's more likely that someone could help you figure out what it's off of. The throttle arm is one big clue to which division it was used on....so take a good picture of that side of the carb

kidcampbell71 and Fordors like this.
  6. I just checked, and you are correct that Chevrolet did use them, but I don't recall ever seeing one on a stock Chevy in the period that this particular carb was built.
    I am not saying that Chevy didn't install the 4GC in some applications, but that all the ones I saw, were equipped with Carter 4 barrels..
    Bob

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  7. squirrel

squirrel

the 58 chevy I had came with one....they were around.

8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

This is on my 53 Cadillac
    IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1116.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. carbking

carbking

I have 269 listings to include 15 different makes.

Great carburetor, and even came in some large CFM for the day.

Jon

10. Hard to tell but it looks like a Chevy Power pack deal. The 57-63? were smaller primary venturi..I believe 1"
    64-66 flowed a bit more ..They sold about skeighty eight million of them ;)

11. BTW, All 60's 327 or 283 SBC 4 bbl. carbs on engines less than 300 horse, were 4GC's or Carter WCFB's.
    (66-67 327/275 , the exception)

12. Chevy used the 4 jet into the mid 60's, then went to the quad.

13. This guy told us nothing new.
    I would look at a few things like fuel inlet ( his doesn't have the big nut and internal filter, so it's early.) Then I'd look at the linkage and determine what brand of GM car it came off of. The choke heat pipe style will help further.
    Jet size will give you an idea what size engine, and also the secondary butterflies and the shape / style of venturi cluster /booster will help too, if you're a hands on guy ...or you can just make Y/T videos if you're not.