Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects nastiest model A part ever dragged home

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Drug this home last year, 28 2dr sedan. Sadly I didn't find it all. It was a small truck load! lol IMG_20190928_151554.jpg

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

always somebody that starts waving their arms and pointing the other way yelling
    "the dump is that way"...
    DSCN4807 - Copy.JPG

Attached Files:

3. this is no way as bad as the original one posted. in progress. IMG_4601.JPG IMG_4612.JPG

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Not as bad a "drag home" as the first post, but maybe the best save I have seen of late...
    you have given it new life... bravo' 33-1/3...

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. nunattax likes this.
  6. jimvette59

jimvette59

Well it looks like it"s all there. Just needs tires.

7. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

Smitty, I think yours takes the cake but here's a rough roadster quarter I'll clean up for wall hanger in the shop IMG_20200109_221925296.jpg one of these days..

8. Local find ( not by me ) Dutch registration is obviously worth more than the parts.
    MODEL A 1.JPG MODEL A 4.JPG

9. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

IMG_20170909_164316605_HDR.jpg here's a '29 Sport Coupe I picked up. IMG_20200427_125303520.jpg and how it looks now. Once I finish my '29 roadster pickup project I plan on starting back up on this.

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

gaz 34..
    I see a dash, door garnish, guy on the hamb would eat rocks for that rear window section for his Vicky... keep dragging them home....
    it is us against the crusher !

DBruce and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I brought the crusty cowl home from my buddy's … in my trunk with the lid closed...may be 1 savable toe-board...
    DSCN6251.JPG .
    2 were rusted though at the pivot another was so thin behind the A pillar skin that it looks like Sheetmetal. DSCN6254.JPG
    all in all... 3 savable hinges...
    DSCN6253.JPG

Okie Pete, Nailhead A-V8 and Squablow like this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

S&H auto parts, a junkyard near Flat Rock mi used to have a 30-31 AA stake bed sitting out front, it was rusted away up to the belt line, and had not for sale on the windshield. It was there in the 80’s maybe until early 90’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

A little EvapoRust or vinegar will take care of that rust.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Just adopted [4] 1930 male door hinges, a dented filler panel, a '30 firewall and a '30 tank top... DSCN6267.JPG DSCN6265.JPG DSCN6266.JPG

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

If that is still there the cowl band could be worth going back for. The 1928-29 cowl bands are rare. Bob

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Going through the three pages brought back a lot of good memories. There was a time, not so long ago that every town had someone with a pile of old car parts you could spot from the road when you went for a ride. That glimmer of stainless steel in the woods late Fall early Spring that was a tip that cars were there is a joy new generations will never experience. Bob

17. I was in Maine near Solon, 30 years ago, and came across acres of 30's car on a family lot. I wonder if it is still there. father had collected a bunch of military vehicles.

cfmvw and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What 28-29 models had a cowl band?

The best 28-29 model cowls to pick up are the 4-doors – they often have a roadster/coupe/sedan tank hiding in better shape below the outer cowl top.

The37Kid likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

I believe it was a Murray built Fordor & Cabriolet that had the cowl band. Side by side the Briggs and Murray have a bunch of differences. Briggs has more steel, both have better gas tanks. :) Bob

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

33 1/3, we had a few of those yards...
    I think that one was Bishop's, he had 6 yards, 3 had never had a customer walk through them...
    bought cars from airmen at the base... had a boxcar full of cam shafts for big generators...
    a half dozen '42 woodies... a humpback mopar panel [I wanted to graft a ford nose on it, $500.]....
    locals would tear the grill from cars to steal the radiators for scrap...[all 6 woodies]…
    he wouldn't sell anything for a couple years afterwords…
    I ate my peanut butter and jelly sitting on a huge chunk of a B17's wing...
    Then there was a yard in Limestone... he had 40 or 50 '49-'51 mercs [guy bought them all]
    he would not sell or even let a guy in the yard if he had a beard !
    I think it was $200 a car when they crushed the lot... [you had to be there when they got to "your" car]... they would not dig them out for you...
    oh, and lest we forget Johnny Monroe in Rockland ? ...5,000 cars... $7 per front fender, $5 per rear...
    he never paid for a convertible [says they were rotten before he got them...]
    bought an A frame $10, wouldn't take the $10 spot until he stripped all the little junk off the frame, all of it stuff I would have cut off... week later, naked frame, $10.00 … in the late 60's they were lifting trailer truck loads of cars out of the yard with helicopters...
    those were the days...

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  21. i

I think the name bishop sounds familiar. I bought a really bad 39 gmc grill from the sons and daughters. he had died a few years before and they would only sell stuff if all of them agreed on the price and liked the person buying it. it took all day to buy it.

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

you caught them on a good day, for years they would only sell whole cars because some jercs would sneek in, remove the door or whatever it was they wanted and they would put it in a car some distance away and then try and buy it as a loose part... not often as he was pretty sharp...

23. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

24. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Didn't get this...there was better stuff there. 20150227_154012.jpg

25. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember Johnny Monroe! His place was down in Spruce Head if I remember right. I grew up in Rockland, had a friend who lived not too far from him and knew him well. I heard all that stuff was cleaned out after he passed away; he had some interesting stuff out there, but being right on the ocean didn't help it much.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Here was mine... it was so bad I was the only one who bid on it at the auction.

FB_IMG_1586788009520.jpg

And here it is now.

FB_IMG_1588512040061.jpg

18620208_10213258787403691_1546483319251072525_n.jpg

27. I ,and 2 of my buddies went to John Monroe's yard in the late 1960's. John was a scary looking guy, like right out of Deliverance. But he was a nice guy to do business with. I wanted a 1933-34 Ford cowl light that was still bolted to the cowl, John gout his ax, and chopped it out of the cowl. We bought a bunch of early ford parts for very reasonable prices. We were lucky to be at John's place at low tide, as at high tide a portion of his property was under water, as he was right along the coast.

Josh the Painter and The37Kid like this.
  28. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I think he liked you as he was famous for checking your tool box as he did not allow chisels in the yard...
    he said I could not take the bell housing from behind a flatty [near the grave yard] without jacking the car up 2 feet...
    the floor board and tranny were gone... simple remove the bolts lift up and back and boom...
    but he said no way...
    we had a old army shovel in the trunk, dug about 12" from under the bell...
    he fell asleep leaning on another car while watching us...
    rain drops that hit his bald head splayed out in front of him …
    a small rainbow would appear in some of them... we laughed [to ourselves]…
    he was so disappointed that we got it out that easy that he wanted to sell me the bolts for $0.10 each...
    he thought we had just taken them...
    we had put all the bolts and washers back in the block..
    guy in warren would hold out for top dollar... but I learned with time, that if I bought some trinket from him [pays for his food for the day ?] he was much easier to deal with the Sheetmetal parts...
    went to the warehouse of a deceased car guy... his buddy would hand you one of the old cardboard suitcases... walk though, fill it, then he would take the parts out one at a time, tell you the price, if you wanted it he put it in another suitcase... he made you take that suitcase loaded with the stuff you wanted...
    good times they were...

29. pecker head

pecker head