Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '33 ford grille -'34 ford grille,How do tell them apart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Sep 16, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

sad but true...

2. Another question for this post. How do you tell the difference between a repo 34 grill and an original?

3. alchemy

alchemy

The Drake repro 34's are really nice. I've never had one right next to an original, but when they are on the car it's probably undetectable from real. Of course if the original has rust pits, I think that would be a good indicator of age.

Many originals, when rechromed, lose the sharper edges on the bars and flange. Repolishing will do that. The repro grilles probably look like an original that's never been repolished and rechromed (good luck finding one of those).

The37Kid likes this.
  4. Blake 27

Blake 27

33 grill and hood sides compared to 34s DSC06294.JPG DSC06293.JPG HPIM0357-1.JPG

hfh and The37Kid like this.
  5. Tjcezar

Tjcezar

Found this in my barn along with some other items. Any idea of the model that had the emblem placed in that spot ? So far I think this is a 33. Any help?

Attached Files:

6. pitman

pitman

Believe the '34 went back, to a pair of side panel latches. Where the '33 had linkage from the ctr. handle.

7. looking top down, the 33 grille is flatter than a 34. the 34 has more "V" shape to it. Its why the whole hood is different on a 33 other than just side panels. As posted earlier the hood latches are different between the two. Even the louvers on the hood sides are different.

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

its a 33. nice one too

9. John Starr

John Starr

I think 33's are more elegant, but aesthetically they are less forgiving of imperfections than a '34. For me at least, with even slight imperfections in the 33's grill rungs it starts to trick your eye into thinking the grill swoop is just a dent -- like fender bender damage, not the otherwise elegant, intentionally bent design.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. That’s a pretty damn neat thing to find.

11. Everyone sees the same things differently.
    When I look at them from top down I see the 34 as dead flat on both sides with a distinct straight peak down the center. You could fold a piece of flat cardboard and land it on all the bars.

The 33 from top down, the bars have a curve to them and each bar is semi concentric to the next. You could not land flat cardboard touching on all the bars. You’d need compound curved cardboard

low down A likes this.
  12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your grille is in fact a '33 and the little emblem is removable so you can put it anywhere you want. Welcome to the HAMB.

-Abone.

13. My mother adorning the fender of a '33 coupe about 1947 or '48.

Attached Files:

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got all your grille answers, but opinions vary on which is better and to me 33, period, end of story. the hood sides with their curves and the slender sloping grille are very artistic. The 33 Victoria is flat out sexy compared to a 34 which has an almost eerie similarity to a 35 flat back tudor. 34 closed cars have that metal channel to let the window go back 1st before it drops and that channel really stands out on a light colored car. After getting all warm and cuddly while embracing the features of the 33 vs the 34 the latter seems almost utilitarian in nature. As I started at the beginning it's my opinion. On an open hood fenderless hot rod the grille could just be a matter of choice.

33 victoria:
    [​IMG]
    34 victoria
    [​IMG]
    35 tudor.
    [​IMG]

See what I mean? I also like the 33 engine turned gauge panel better.

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

lets see the other parts. got a dusty rotten old roadster body up in the rafters? i will haul that away, no charge of coarse.

16. Texas John

Texas John

Are the front fenders and inner splash aprons the same between the '33 and '34 passenger cars or do the grilles have a different curve at the bottom where they mate to fenders?

17. alchemy

alchemy

33 fenders and inner panels are actually different than 34's, but the hoods will interchange on either. The curve at the hood line is the same. The differences in fender stuff is so slight it takes a real aficionado to tell.

18. redo32

redo32

@alchemy you're right there is only a slight difference in '33 fenders, a recess dimple where it bolts to the grille. The hoods however are not interchangeable with out metalwork. Because the '33 grille is thinner the hood is longer (about an inch) and there is a bead along the front edge and down the hood side. The sides have curved louvers and only one latch handle. At least one member here shortened his '33 hood to fit his '34 grille.

19. alchemy

alchemy

I coulda swore I saw a difference in the arch over the tire pictured somewhere. In the V8 Affair, maybe? Not much, and probably could put one of each on a car and never notice.

20. redo32

redo32

@alchemy, there were some early '33 fenders that were "skirtless".

21. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the book to answer pretty much everything.
    6BCA5421-CE0C-4857-8A3A-73A1AD04C5A6.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

33 s are way prettier, sexier, more artistic, rare, more sought after, and i have one, so there!

23. alchemy

alchemy

Pass the Torch, what's that book say about front fenders?

24. 34Larry

34Larry

If your looking at total car, trying to decide if it is a '33 or a 34 there is one more identifying feature that I didn't see mentioned above. That is the door window opening in the '34 has "web" at rear, top to bottom where the 33 dose not. I just went out measured mine at widest point. The webs front edge curves from a pointed end at the top and widens out at the bottom, mine measures 1-1/4 " at the widest but I don't know what stock is as my top is chopped either 4 or 4-1/4"s. I've even learned something here about the '33 not having the stainless trim ring that goes all the way around the inner edge of the shell where the bars meet the outer shell. Thanks for that 47 rag top.
    I like the '33 hood panel sides design better than the '34, but I don't run the panels. I do have them and they are so modified with lead because of the bubble in them for the HEMI back when it was the Northern Star, I'd have to find another 50 horses to drive it. BTW. The hood was NEVER made from aluminum like was stated in the hot rod books of that time and it fits like shit because when it was made into a one piece, the builder didn't consider the width of the center hinge, welding the two sides together with no filler piece. I don't run it much either, it goes topless to let the competition tremble when viewing what lays in wait for them. ('55 Chrysler Hemi, dual quads, isky regrind, .060 overbore.
    As an owner of the OP topic car, while the '33 is truly a car of real true automate beauty, my preference is the '34. Hard to believe my grill is 87 years old this year and looks better than it did new. When doing any work around or with it, it gets treated with gloved hands and is hung up if taken off for any reason and covered with the best linen my wife allows me to have from the house. IMHO these two years were the best grills out of the 30's and quite possibly the most beautiful grills ever in any car. (yes I am bias............................................slightly.)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. 34Larry

34Larry

:eek::rolleyes::eek: just a matter of opinion and taste, and just like the orifice of most rectums, everyone has one.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  26. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It addresses the dimple on the inside, and even a pic of a very early un-skirted '33 car. Let me scan a pic or two. the book was a gift to me from a friend when i was doing my '33. A ton of info in there.

27. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned a lot of differences between the two years at a very early age. This book went into a boat load of detail on everything. The web on the '34 door allows for the vent feature on the door glass. There's also the dimple on the firewall for the hood on a '34, cowl vent screen was a '34 only feature. I could go on...but...!
    Aprons.jpg Fender 1.jpg Fender 2.jpg

28. 34Larry

34Larry

Can you post the name of the book?? I'd like to order one if they are still in print.

29. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted the cover a few posts above your earlier one. I got it maybe 3 years ago; i’m sure it’s still available.

30. alchemy

alchemy

I knew about the skirted fenders (I had one a few years ago with original black dipped paint looking almost as shines as the day it was made), but was sure I'd seen the arch thing mentioned on the second gen fenders as well. Maybe some day I'll run across my copy of The V8 Affair and can see if it's in there.