Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question/Guidance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBone40, May 7, 2020.

1. TBone40

TBone40

Greetings Rodders!
    I have a 1940 Coupe Deluxe and I am wanting to do away with the two-piece windshield. Anyone have any guidance or suggestions on how to do either a windshield that is joined in the middle (not with the divider that came stock) or a single piece windshield?
    I am looking for a shop that does this or will ship it, cost, templates, et al.
    Thank you, in advance, for your help!
    T-Bone

dana barlow likes this.
  2. I had my local glass shop, cut and fit 2 pieces for my 47 coupe. The pieces are slightly longer, and then the gap in middle was sealed with clear silicone. The pieces can't touch; they've been there for 25 years, 42000 miles. Still good, although the glass is getting a bit sandblasted.

Penetrator likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember over thinking this. Measured the angle the glass panes butted and did the trigonometry to determine how much the glass had to be ground back. Overkill. Close counts.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Algoma56 likes this.
  4. The one piece windshield is more of a street rod idea that IMHO didn't look very good, even when it was considered the hot set up - I call it bent glass because that's what it looked like to me.

Personally the original look can't be improved on. HRP

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the custom car world of old;;;Doing that was a bit of a thing,back in the late 50s and early 60s,some cars that had the two part windshields,could be made into one piece,by using a recut 1951 Studebaker,as Studebaker had updated there 1950 earlyer two part with a one piece for a newer look in 51 but older body style update for there next years. It was flat but bent in center at the angle that fit Studebaker body/and that same bend angle fit a number of other brand cars with two part windshields.

6. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Same goes for 51 Oldsmobile one piece fitting 49-52 chevy.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

eBay has them for $360, one piece seamless tinted. Screenshot_20200507-130535.jpeg

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Gasser 57 like this.
  8. Yeah, this ^^^
    I haven't seen the '40 version, but have seen several '41-48 versions and they look terrible. Quite a bit of optical distortion, not something I'd want to look through. V-butted glass is traditional, first noted nationally on the Hirohata Merc among others. My avatar has v-butted glass and you really don't see the seam. You do need to be a bit careful when cleaning the glass as the sealer can be dislodged if you get too heavy-handed (AMHIK), but re-doing it isn't a big deal.

And the tinting at the top looks totally street-roddy… butt ugly.

loudbang, WiredSpider, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carzy Steve beat me to it. I have a friend that installed the bent glass and it was horrid in the center. I would never recommend it.

10. dana - your memory is a steel trap....I'd forgotten all about the Stude windshield even though I had a '51 back in the stoneage.

loudbang likes this.
  11. I V-butted my windshield and love it, all you see is smiling faces, the windshield frame would've made it look way to heavy around the perimeter. 20200507_173040.jpg

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  12. You asked for "guidance", so..........

I would rather put a metal strip over the butted or bent glass than the other way around. :cool:
    If you want a new car, buy a new car. I don't have a problem with that. I have some of those myself. :rolleyes:

williebill likes this.
  13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

V butted and sealed in my 40 Pontiac. Matches the raised V in the roof. pontiac.jpg

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The split windshield of a 40 Ford is one of the reasons the car looks so good.
    Leave it alone, please.

15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me...looking out of a split windshield just makes me feel good. I don't know why. Maybe I see myself flying a WWII bomber?? Thank goodness we all don't like the same thing. Good luck and I'd guess a Vee Butt windshield will give you the same good feeling!!

arkiehotrods likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

I love the 2 piece windshield in my 49 Buick, it brings me back to when I was a kid and most cars had them. But I also like listing to my vacuum wipers clicking and sucking:eek: when driving in the rain.:D

arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@TBone40 Talk to the guys at up at-

All Valley Auto Glass
    2816 Old Hwy 99 S, Ste 2, Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Phone: +1 360 416 8282
    Great people with a ton of old car experience, they have always treated me good.

loudbang likes this.
  18. The bent glass windshield look like shit. V- butted is ok and if done with minimum gap will work fine. Is there a special reason why you want to eliminate the center bar?

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

williebill likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The 2 piece windshield is the "Period Marque" of the car.

20. You must puke in your hat when you see pics of the 'Matador'....

djweaz and loudbang like this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd rather puke dead center of the car.

djweaz and olscrounger like this.
  22. rudestude

rudestude

I also prefer the split windshields
    Infact I have a 1950 Studebaker champion Starlight coupe, and it has the one peice windshield.
    And I also have a 1950 Studebaker champion 4dr. sedan, and it has a two piece, split , windshield ...its a nice car but I'm just using it for a parts car . I also have a 1950 Studebaker Commander 2dr. sedan.
    I'm looking into swapping the split windshields from the 4dr into the Starlight coupe.
    Something different.....

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

At least you got one answer. Like the Vbut I put in my 40 just fine. But, when I replace it soon due to chips and such from road trips I will probably go back to center strip.

guthriesmith likes this.
  24. Hey, the guy was asking for 'guidance' on how to do it. NOT for your 'permission' to do it. When did HIS 40 coupe become the HAMB's 40 coupe?

Any good auto glass shop in your area should be able to handle the process. And you won't have to ask for their permission either.

texasred, clunker, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I began a writing a long-winded response an hour ago, but wiped it out because RJP said what I was trying to say in a much shorter message!

Desoto291Hemi, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  26. Unfortunately, and I mean that, it sure seems to be the normal thing around here and when you call someone out on it all of a sudden you're the bad guy.

27. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I just wanted to see Swade's avatar again.....

swade41 likes this.
  28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No, not really. El Matador is a radical custom of the 60's.
    It's so radical that the windshield actually makes it look better.
    The quarter windows and the doors are just about all that reminds
    folks it started life as a 40 Ford. Take a look:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...custom-car-builder-rip.1150602/#post-13087124

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  29. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I have a buddy's 39 windshield frame. He took his car to a glass company to have them butt the windshield and glue in. They took the frame out, then removed the center bar and put new butted glass in the old frame and put it back in the car. Not what we wanted. Needless to say, he went to a different glass company and had them glue windshield in body and gave me the framed one.

30. TBone40

TBone40

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate all of the comments...I really do. One thing remains constant...the HAMB boards never disappoint. I am undecided and that is why I posted this. I am totally re-building the Coupe, so I have time. I do know that I must solve the leaking problem. I cannot get the center seal to stop leaking in the rain or during a wash. I have replaced the rubber seal and the metal section. I even coated it in windshield sealant to no avail. Once again thank you all. And Swade....I think your avatar is cold. She should put on a sweater....;o)

swade41 likes this.