Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford mild custom build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rand Man, Apr 20, 2017.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Good News! We will be expecting more updates now that you're better, Carp.

Rand Man likes this.
  2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

wow! what a read.... sorry for the struggles! im so glad you decided to keep the project. life has gotten i the way of several of my projects and i always sit and wonder what they couldve been... this ones going to be COOL. who knows, maybe the shop will do part and youll get fired up and since youre feeling better now that you know whats been wrong you might just haul her half done back home to do the rest yourself!

Rand Man likes this.
  3. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yeah, hired hands are going get it running and install the new front springs. After that, I hope I can “finish” the interior, touch up the paint here and there and just drive this bitch.

Sancho, catdad49 and oliver westlund like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

That's the attitude!

5. Glad you were able to find out and address your diabetes. Looking forward to your next update.

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

I called the shop today. They said they got it to turn over but it didn’t fire, so they pushed it back outside. I said I hope fixing the the flathead doesn’t cost more than an engine swap. No telling how long this is going to take.

catdad49 and Late to the Party like this.
  7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

........got it to turn over but not fire so they pushed it outside!? take it to another shop haha they should have a compression test done and know if they have spark by now. my overly critical 2 cents

Mopar Tony and Late to the Party like this.
  8. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’m not surprised to see your comment. I called all over town to find a place willing to work on a 1953 anything. This place is willing to take on old cars, let alone a “basket case”. I had unhooked some wires to replace the manifold. They probably didn’t get power to the coil. This place is still open when other shops are closed, so they are swamped with work. I can wait. I’m more concerned about the cost. If “fitting it in” is their way. . .

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

I called the shop today; good news and bad news. They got it running! Radiator sprung a thousand leaks though. They sent it out to get re-cored. Unexpected expense, but I’m not too surprised. Good to fix that now. Hate being stranded on the side of the road (well, it’s my wife that really hates it).

Sancho, brEad, Peanut 1959 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ain’t that the truth!

Rand Man and catdad49 like this.
  11. Billy Branch

Billy Branch

12. Rand Man

Rand Man

Hey Billy, I cannot see the image in your post. Is it just me?

13. I can see it just fine -- nice '53 Vicky.

14. Rand Man

Rand Man

No mechanical progress to report, but I did get tags and insurance. This relationship is getting serious now.[​IMG]

charleyw, catdad49, brEad and 2 others like this.
  15. Billy Branch

Billy Branch

Just saw this question. I’m on the Hamb everyday but don’t always sign in so didn’t see your post.
    The pic appears for me. Must be a glitch in the system.

loudbang likes this.
  16. SICBOY

SICBOY

loudbang and Rand Man like this.
  17. Rand Man

Rand Man

The latest car news is that there is no news. The mechanic keeps putting daily drivers in ahead of my Ford. Yes, this is bullshit.

Latest health news: I go in the morning for heart surgery. Ballon angioplasty / stent is pretty safe nowadays. I have probably dodged another bullet.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Prayin for ya.

loudbang and Rand Man like this.
  19. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’m in the recovery room. They did not put in a stent. I guess that’s good news. I will be released this afternoon.

20. Glad things seem to have checked out ok for you! Good luck to you!

DIYGUY and loudbang like this.
  21. Hope all improves health wise. It maybe time to find another mechanic.

chryslerfan55, DIYGUY and loudbang like this.
  22. Rand Man

Rand Man

IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1638.JPG

The car is running! Trying to post a video, but this thing is locking up.

brEad, catdad49, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. greybeard360

greybeard360

If you can't see photos you are probably using the HAMB app on your phone. That has been a problem for a long time now. Delete the app and just use your browser to access the web site. Problem solved.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You can’t upload video to the hamb like a photo. I know, it looks like you can. It doesn’t work.

gotta put it on you tube and then share it here

loudbang likes this.
  25. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

loudbang likes this.
  26. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

best wishes on your health and car.

loudbang likes this.
  27. I put a 56 tank in my 53 because a 53 tank was not available at the time. I had to cut the filler neck and modify it to mimic the 53 angle, add 3/4" rubber spacers on the top of the tank to drop it down slightly, get longer holding straps, move the tank forward 1" by fabricating brackets (I did not want to cut the car), and making a custom vent tube. I would up taking the tank out before using it because a pricey 53 tank became available. I still have the modified one. PM me if interested. Another option is to cut out the trunk floor and put in a mid 60's Mustang/ Fairlane style tank.

Attached Files:

catdad49, brEad, 48fordnut and 2 others like this.
  28. Rand Man

Rand Man

Well, I drove it under its own power today. Went about a block and a half and there it sits. Water in the gas Seems like that could have been fixed. Before you tell me, I know I should find another mechanic. I did call a guy before I called the tow truck. Said he doesn’t work on them that old. I have heard that many times. IMG_1757.JPG

catdad49, loudbang and brEad like this.
  29. Rand Man

Rand Man

Does anyone know how to lubricate the the shift linkage on these three on the tree?

loudbang likes this.
  30. hillbillyrabbit

hillbillyrabbit

Hey Rand Man. I’m in NWA as well. If you ever need a hand wrenching give me a holler. I would love to help and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app