Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical vin number on 1952 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, May 6, 2020.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have this chevy ad truck body with the vin tag on the door. it is so degraded all i can make out are the stamped numbers. i think it is a '52 but who knows? i have looked for the tag companies on line that will provide new tags, but they don't have any that look like mine. if i get one from them, i don't know what mine says, so i don't know where to put what. can someone clue me in?
    IMG_20200506_0001.jpg

2. henry29

henry29

5= Kansas
    K= 1952
    P= 3100
    B= February

Is it Titled? No way I would ever consider re stamping a new plate.
    [​IMG]

3. Call your local DMV when they open after the pandemic.

Charlie Stephens

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Be aware there was no vin number as we now think of them. In that era trucks were registered by either the motor number or the vehicle serial number, which was really a body serial number. It was mounted with screws (clutch head) and obviously over the last 65 plus years the motor or even the cab could have been swapped.

warbird1 likes this.
  6. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I think the C52-6 was added and is not part of the vin/serial no.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

well thanks for the replies. like i said though, none of those id plates look like mine. what is the c52-6?
    maybe the 52 is the year and maybe the 6 is the motor but what is the c. also where does it go on the plate. and what is the 4148, gross vehicle weight maybe? and no, all i got is the body and frame and there are no numbers on the frame. i took this tag off of the drivers door post with the factory rivets, so i know it's original. i don't know why you wouldn't re-stamp the new plate. is there some secret decoder knowledge we are not aware of? the dmv just wants to see a vin plate. how are they going to know what the original looks like. from what i gather is, they made alot of different ones from the factory anyway. i once, years ago, talked to a guy who had an ad truck and he said it only had the tag on the door. his was all stock restored.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have a master book, and a digital reference of the location and appearance of every single vehicle officially sold in the US, since the first one with ID numbers.

They will know exactly what the original one looks like, where it is supposed to be located, and by which means it is to be found attached, along with the typeface, and size of the stamping.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5KPB4148 is your serial number, but you broke the factory attachment.

That's a big no-no.

MO54Frank likes this.
  10. henry29

henry29

The C52-6 is likely a fleet or military id stamp, It isn't factory. The plate I posted is exactly the same as yours. 4148 is your sequential serial number.

11. Tomincanada

Tomincanada
    from b.c.

This was on another thread. May help? Screenshot_20200506-212837.jpeg

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

yes that helped. as far as the attachment parts goes, you can get them online just like the factory. i think i might go to the chp and ask them what the c52-6 might be. thanks again for the replies.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can buy new fasteners online, not original ones. CHP, DMV and most private verifiers know to look for those.

Ask me how I know.

Budget36 likes this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Yep, I had a '59 Chevy PU that one of the rivets was gone on. My dad called an old CHP friend of his to come verify the s/n for titling. I'd put a sheetmetal screw in the missing hole to hold the plate better.

He told me to remove and not modify it at all, I'd have to take it into the CHP and have the Commercial Man do it properly.

15. Vin tags on those trucks were screwed on with clutch-head screws, not rivits.
    ...lots of guys use new plates after they restore those trucks.

16. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

The plate on my 52 looks just like yours-except for the 052-6. Can’t explain that.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The legality of doing that varies by state. Please keep any any all advice regarding re-tagging, and stamping to your state, only.

What flies in one state, could cost you a vehicle in another.

18. ^^^ very true, check with your state codes...^^^

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 47/49 and at least early 49 but they switched to rivets in 50.
    My 48 had screws and the early 49 cab I have had until someone came in the yard and stole the plate. The doors post I saved off a roached out 50 cab has rivets. The 53 Cab in the shed has rivets and the cab has rivets.

Still as Gimpy said you pooped in your messkit in some states when you remove the tag from the cab. Guys used to do it all the time back years ago when they painted the cabs but I have had a buddy catch hell at the inspection station for the wrong rivets holding his plate on.

As some said it is actually the cab and chassis serial number an not a designated vin. those didn't start until the feds required vin numbers starting Jan 1 1969 although some may have switched to the required vin earlier. Before that a lot of rigs had serial numbers and a lot of states used the engine serial number as their vin rather than the body number. The 51 1-1/2 ton I have with an Oregon title that was issued in 1984 still has the engine number as the vin.

20. I've bought dozens of 47-54 Chevy/GMC pickups over the years, all from Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin, and everyone of em had the vin plate attached with clutch-head screws;
    maybe it was done differently by states...

21. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Must have been @rusty1 My 52 GMC and the 51 Chevy parts truck both have hollow rivets attaching the tags