Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Holley Performance has acquired Halibrand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OneRustedDodge, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ............So, let me get this straight.....you're OK if the OP is breaking the law? That's what it sounds like.

Deuces likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And people wonder...
    They wha wha wha wha
    Wonder...
    Why...

3. It doesn't concern me, I'm not going to benefit from it nor encounter a detriment from it, I'm not his babysitter or the great Halibrand defender either. Screenshot_20200502-134104_Google.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. I still wanna see the T shirt...I might wanna order one...not being a dick...

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know we all want America products many are made of steel or a derivative of it. Do any of you actually think a new mill will ever be built in this country again. Hell we don’t make pills here.

Deuces, Hombre, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  6. rooman

rooman

Halibrand may have been around since 1948 but in recent years Richard LeJeurne owned some of patterns and the rights to the name. As most know he struggled to make the business viable and it seems, managed to let the trademark lapse. As I understand it the op managed to acquire said trademark and was selling shirts with the Halibrand branding/logo and he got sued. I am not up on the legal aspects of this scenario but the fact remains that the Holley group now own the name (along with Hilborn, MSD Performance, Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS), Weiand, Flowtech, Earl's Performance Plumbing, Hooker Headers, Demon Carburetion, Racepak, Superchips, Diablosport, Edge Products, Accel Ignition, Quick Time, Hays Clutches, Mr. Gasket, Lakewood, and Mallory Ignition).
    Holly have been proactive in reviving some product lines that had gone dormant in some of those companies and there are some good people working there but as in most of these deals the almighty dollar rules.

Roo

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Did some rice fall out???

Deuces and X38 like this.
  8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Ok what is OP? I see it all the time I must be too old to understand. Thanks

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Original Poster

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Original Post; or 1st posting

Deuces likes this.
  11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Thanks I was headed that way

12. ......Sometimes I'm just too lazy to type out the whole thing.:)......You're not old, OLDSMAN.;)

Deuces likes this.
  13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Thanks for that very reassuring!!

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Laid off almost 200 steel workers in Pueblo CO last month due to lack of demand. Steel mill was recycling old railroad cars.

15. I worked for US Steel until 1985. We were told we were one of the best foundries in the world two years earlier. Well that ended in 1985 and so did my career. Our steel making giants are gone. Ever heard of Bethlehem Steel? Any way I diverge. It is hard to buy acquire anything made anywhere but China including speed parts, clothes, viruses.you name it.

Deuces, stillrunners and wraymen like this.
  16. Yup, I saw the doors close :(.

I have a Mr. Hilborn biz card :)

Deuces likes this.
  17. uncle buck

uncle buck

He stated that he had acquired the trademark after the previous owner allowed its license to lapse is what I understand. If he had the current trademark license and he was making the shirts wouldn’t that have technically been legal at the time ? I’m far from an attorney, just trying to understand

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. ...........That makes sense to me. I was just responding to the comment uttered by swade41 regarding his lack of concern if someone was breaking the law. The OP may have actually been well within his legal rights. It sounds like he was railroaded by someone who could afford a better lawyer. Would have been nice if he came back to this thread to explain things more completely.

Deuces likes this.
  19. .......Best post in this thread.

Deuces likes this.
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Personally, I'm much more interested in what Holley will do with the Halibrand brand. Would be nice to see some more QC products and Real Halibrand wheels again. It would take more than just throwing a switch.

21. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll throw my two cents worth in before this thread gets cancelled. It disturbs me to read again and again that the "Chinese" did this and that. In my humble opinion, the Chinese only supply the factories and cheap labor to make it happen. In most cases, you will find a business person from N. America operating a company that has the Chinese make something for them that they can make far more money on than to pay workers here to do the same. Has little or nothing to do with the Chinese themselves.
    I have an acquaintance that designed whiskey stills, mostly made of copper components. He travelled there and had them build the stills to his specifications. He imports them, sells them, and told me he couldn't possibly have them built in N. America and make nearly as much money from the production of them.
    It turned out that AFTER he had the first ones made, that yes, someone else copied his design and is marketing a very similar product, but my friend made the first contact.
    I've been hearing this same argument for years and I'm tired of hearing it now. Take your head out of the goddamn sand. Greed is what drives the free enterprise system.
    I have a lot of tools in my shop that were NOT made in China, and I paid the price for the quality of these same items. Those items make me smile every time I use them.
    You can choose your own destiny. Keep buying the junk, and it will keep coming.

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hollibrand wheels? That reminds me I've got a few Craftsman rachets I need to get replaced. :D

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now back to your regular bashing. LOL

24. This thread reminds me how ignorant a lot of people are, this needs to be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

seb fontana, HemiDeuce and Blue One like this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Too bad, a lot of people need well paying jobs here, too bad we’re too cheap to pay for it.

scotty t, mcsfabrication and lippy like this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

nochop, That's no shit man. Well said and that is a bunch of the problem.

nochop likes this.
  27. The real crook here was Richard Lejuerne. He was the one that drug Halibrand down and burned bridges. If you dig through the archives there is some great info posted going back 20 years.

28. NAH. Need to see them.

Ben

29. uncle buck

uncle buck

the infamous Chinese blueprint. Their country , their rules... or lack there of...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Simply possessing the trademark doesn't grant him the right to use it. The fact that Halibrand had continously used the trademark since 1948 and was still actively in business and using it, outweighed the OP right to it. As he can attest because they easily sued him into bankruptcy over it. Hard lesson to learn for sure, but it's very common for companies to let trademarks lapse, but that doesn't mean they have given up the rights to it. Offenhauser has several of its trademarks expired for 10 or 15 years, but I bet if someone swooped in and registered them, they would find themselves facing a team of lawyers just as the OP did, and possibly find themselves in bankruptcy also.

Also, if you're going to challenge an industry icon that offers a sizable product line, you need to bring more to bat than a t-shirt for a product to show you are equally entitled to use the name. If your trying to justify your actions....

bchctybob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.