Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cars From Milwaukee Wisconsin, SE WI, and Northern Illinois....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Jim,
    whatever happened to Tim Young and his dragster style T. Would be good to see pics of the car, too. Is this the car on the Car Craft cover?
    Curt R
    fredericks march 1968.jpg

2. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Something OT, I like to put an end to what I heard years ago about a green AMC Gremlin with a Hemi hanging out on hwy 100 in the 70's. Is that story true?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The car was co- owned from what I remember. One of them was John Stelt (sp?)
    Of the Milwaukee “Fast Times Performance”
    John is also Broadway Bob’s nephew.

3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Hello Curt,
    I am not aware of the current location of Tim’s Cammer powered T, I also asked Jerry K and he does not know either.
    I found the attached photo in a magazine that was on Jessie’s bench. (Wood Road Garage) I believe it is the article that was in the Car Craft magazine you posted the cover of. I was told that there were more than one of those cars built, Tim owned one of them. Maybe someone from Kenosha might know the answer to your question. ( That Cammer would sure look good in my Cyclone!)
    Jim
    103F589A-738D-4B39-B421-562861053AB2.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a dyed in the wool Chevy Guy, and I think that "Cammer" would look Absolutely Perfect between the front fender's of my "56 Bel Air!

5. I was told three of those dragsters were built at r and b. One stayed in kenosha the others went out of state.

6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

We we always under the impression that they were built on the West Coast, If R&B built them Jerry K would know it, he worked there back then. Besides that type of vehicle is too simple to have come out of R&B, Dennis always built complex cars. (And “Lil John was the opposite) Does anyone else remember his black “Rivet Car”? I remember seeing it one day when I stopped at his shop, it has so many cleco’s on it that it looked like a porcupine!

7. Armond Tanzarian

Armond Tanzarian

So we were cleaning out the corner of the shop awhile back and my plant manager says there is a pallet of boxes that say Bob on them and I want you to throw them in the dumpster. Being that I just cant throw full boxes away without looking in them , I find theses pictures and some other random interesting things in one of boxes . I believe one of the guys in the picture is Bob Giese he use to own a business called Renquist and my boss acquired that business and all of its stuff. IMG_E0310.JPG IMG_E0309.JPG IMG_E0307.JPG IMG_E0308.JPG

wicarnut, echo ed, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

That is very cool! I know Bob, the last I heard he moved from Kenosha Wisconsin to Hilton Head Island S.C. His health was not good so he sold his long time project car a ‘34 Ford sedan. The car is now in Racine, WI. I will have to check on Bob and see how he is doing.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

I noticed D. Rollain lettered on the side of the cowl, just curious, was this car built before the partnership with Lil’ John Buttera?

10. Armond Tanzarian

Armond Tanzarian

Not Sure

11. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Actually Renquist and Associates was owned by Bruce Renquist it is possible that Bob Geise was a partner. Bob did some graphics for me and I remember picking them up from his office. Bruce collected vintage wooden boats.
    I believe the dragster was pre R&B Automotive. (R&B =Rollain & Buttera) Both Dennis and John are now building cool hot rods for the man upstairs.

12. Petrol Glutton

Petrol Glutton

Actually looking for history/info on where my Father-in-Law’s car may have ended up. Home Brew: Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

echo ed, Stogy and 41 coupe like this.
  13. Petrol Glutton

Petrol Glutton

14. Car cruise tonight on south 27th st. 20200516_172940.jpg

wicarnut, Stogy, John Stimac and 2 others like this.
  15. Some cruise night...you, 2 minivans and a Honda! :)

The Nash was so scared it had to hide behind the building.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Anyone from Palatine Il in the late 70's or early 80's remember a crudely customized '57 Chevy sedan? I bought this car about 15 years ago and while it's not real noteworthy, it would be neat to find out some history on it.

Was a 4 door with the back doors bondo'd shut and rear handles shaved, with '71 Challenger bucket seats and funky red back seat upholstery, orange fur on the door panels and some pinstriping. It has since been 2 door converted properly with correct length doors and B pillars, and a lot of the white paint has flaked off in the 15 years since I got it. These pics were taken on the first day I got it 15 years ago.

000_0004.JPG
    000_0003.JPG
    000_0002_0001.JPG
    20200516_215035.jpg

Tickety Boo likes this.
  17. John Stimac

John Stimac

Here IMG_1628-1.jpg 's one of Butch and I from a Milw-Journal article when we painted the coupe

Phillips and Max Gearhead like this.
  18. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Well there is sad news, Bob passed away in July.(2020)
    I found his obituary:
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kenoshanews/obituary.aspx?n=robert-giese&pid=196507836
    I had not seen him for a while but in the past when I did see him he was always good company.
    RIP

19. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Anybody recognize this 1951 Ford ??? It was built in Stevens Point WI. and was sold in Late 1950"s or the early to mid 1960's to someone in the Milwaukee area or the Northern Illinois area. It had 1956 Ford front fenders and rear quarter panels grafted into it. It was powered by a Ford Y-block. It was painted and Bronze and cream white colors .. The car was built by Wisconsin race driver Rich Somers. Sadly Rich passed a few years ago. These are the only two pictures I have of the car. Looking for any ifo .....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Squablow and Max Gearhead like this.
  20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I know this question is kind of off topic because of the time line. I was born in Milwaukee in 55 and as a kid growing up remember seeing cool cars that inspire my life long car addiction so I like check on this post to see if I remember any of them. But I was looking through some of my shop photo albums tonight for some info for someone else and I came across some pictures of my old red 67 pro street Camaro I built in the mid 90's and started to think about the man and the car that inspired it over 25 years before. We moved to Burlington in 1966 and my Dad had a cabinet shop and in 1970 I helped him remodel a kitchen for a couple and lets just say the garage behind his house was Camaro central and one was a red 67/68 and was a full race only car. On the doors was Barrell and Huss in gold leaf. Although I never got to know him his shop was a big thing to a then 15 year old kid. His name was Fritz Barrell and he was active at Union Grove into the late 80's early 90's. His shop in Burlington on Hwy 83 was called Precision Engineering if I remember right. Does anyone know if he is still around or still involved with cars? He would be well into his 70's now. Like I said never new him personally but he was one of those car guys a car crazy kid wanted to grow up to be and I did and still am! lol Larry

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Tickety Boo likes this.
  21. John Stimac

John Stimac

midwest speed and power 001.jpg midwest speed and power 002.jpg !cid_F99A355642A3446AB84C5B185F1570CE@StimacPC.jpg Just found out that my old pal Ralp Fugi passed away, he was 96 Ralph and Bob Locksmith were the founders of the Hot Rod Shop of Milwaukee, and I chased them for over 66 years since I was 10 years old back when they had a booth at the Milwaukee Auditorium. I've fond memories, including them selling me the Tony Walker 22T coupe maybe in 1973. Heres a photo of Ralph and Bob in black and white, also a photo of Ralph with the coupe and dragster. Also one of me driving the coupe after I purchased it. So long old friend, I'll never forget you.
    John Stimac midwest speed and power 001.jpg midwest speed and power 002.jpg !cid_F99A355642A3446AB84C5B185F1570CE@StimacPC.jpg

22. Don__two

Don__two

Man, this is a great thread. I grew up in Kenosha and remember Tim Young. I only saw his Cammer-powered T a couple times. The first time was probably in the early-to-mid 1980s at his brake shop east of 30th Avenue a little north of AMC Main. I went there with my dad and I remember seeing it sitting in the shadows in the east room of the building. He turned on the lights and let me go back there and check it out. That engine was so huge! And the other time I saw the T it was parked outside his later shop on Roosevelt Road in the old Palmen Motors building. It's been years, but I don't remember his car being this long up front. Would love to see a picture of it if anyone has any to share.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and 67drake like this.
  23. glad to see this thread resurface. I hope more pictures show up but just as a reminder what this thread is all about,
    here is the OP's original post in 2015 to start this thread about Wisc/north Illinois cars that were around in the 50's and 60's, this is a "history" thread. Thanks is advance for keeping this thread "historical".
    Curt R
    I know this is a limited audience and subject matter, but I'd love to see some cars and comments, memories and whatever from anyone who remembers any cars from Wisconsin and Northern Illinois from the '50's and '60's.....We had a bunch of them, but little is the evidence of their History. This is a labor of love for me, but hopefully, there are enough HAMBERS from the upper MidWest who share my passion and sense of nostalgia.....Rods, Customs, faint memories, it doesn't really matter. I know there are those guys out there who have some great memories......Share what you have. Thanks! Centurion9

here is a restart. Curt R
    Milwaukee, Wiusconsin 1st Rod-O-Rama 1954, South Shore Yacht Club
    scan0002.jpg scan0008.jpg scan0018.jpg scan0025.jpg

24. rc57

rc57

Hey Racer-X,
    Being from Franksville, do you remember a guy named Fred Schimian (spelling?)
    He built a '65 Rambler American wagon in my dad's barn in Mequon back in the early 70's.
    Metalflake gold, six-pack scoop, 331 SBC w/cross ram, front spoiler, rear wheel flares for the big tires.
    He moved to Franksville (pretty sure) shortly after.

Would LOVE to get pictures of that one again

Rich

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  25. I never saw it.

26. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I am also in Franksville just “a few farm fields” from Racer X. I grew up in Racine and have been in Franksville for the past 34 years. I have not heard of Fred or the Rambler, that is not to say they were not here but I just don't know of them. Maybe someone from Kenosha who is into AMC stuff will chime in.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Curt R, thanks for your part in all of this, I never tire of the Diversity of the Movements State to State, Coast to Coast, Country to Country and enjoy looking, learning and sharing the History you and many within have presented...so very much appreciated, thank you Hambers...;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Max Gearhead like this.
  28. rc57

rc57

Thanks guys, it would have been about 45 yrs (wow, where did the time go).

kabinenroller- since you're a WI Comet guy, do you know Randy Hobena? He has/had a red Comet with plates that read "Halebop". He's a phenomenal body guy. I learned a ton from him and the other shop owner (2 stall shop, 2 separate businesses) in the early 80's. I worked for the other owner, Al Bonk, who I think went on to a rod shop out west.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I do not know Randy Hobena, where in Wisconsin did he live? Do you know what year his Comet was? My Cyclone was red up until a out two years ago, I have owned it for 53 years. Its always good to meet up with other Comet owners.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. rc57

rc57

Milwaukee area. Found a picture from Good Guys 2006 Waukesha. Date on picture is not actual.

upload_2021-3-22_21-59-57.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Oilguy like this.