Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Seeking help to identify paint color

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lance dunlap, May 5, 2020.

1. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

I'm finally to the point in my project of choosing paint and upholstery colors. Could anybody venture a guess as to what color this is? The closest I've found is Cordoba Gray, but that seems darker than this car. It doesn't help that the car (like all) looks quite different in different lighting. Any help is appreciated--thanks!
    upload_2020-5-5_20-31-2.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigO likes this.
  2. Good looking car and colors.
    Maybe someone here knows the owner or builder and can help ya.

3. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping.

4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 32 is Córdoba Gray, the roadster looks more tan. 09628B56-5273-40CF-BFF3-BFEA58832F05.jpeg

Attached Files:

BigO, Maicobreako, bantam and 3 others like this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Get a fleet color chip book. Lots of grays in there

6. It's essentially impossible to try to do accurate color matching and selection over the internet like this. The odds are that nobody else's monitor is calibrated exactly the same as yours. We're all looking at our screens under different lighting conditions. Different websites and different browsers can use different color spaces to display photos. As you pointed out yourself, the pictures can be taken under varying lighting conditions and look considerably different. And film and digital camera sensors aren't nearly as sensitive as the human eye to slight variations and gradations of color and light.

If this is really going to be a "color critical" decision your best bet is to work from color chips under daylight conditions and compare them to the vehicle color you're wanting to duplicate under the same kind of lighting.

SDhotrod, BigO, 5window and 5 others like this.
  7. ..........Great advice. And don't forget that colors are going to look different on different planes (not the flying kind!:)). The doors will catch light and shadows differently than the hood or deck . Just something to remember as you try to decide on a color from pictures or chips. Love the color in your example pictures by the way......Don.:D

BigO and ClayMart like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

looks like "drab" to me....

but what do I know, I have a red car. And an orange truck.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough call. Over the last dozen or so years a lot of imports brought back their old shades from back in the day. Also seems like some domestics are doing that too. Why bring that up? If you have something custom mixed you'll need enough for that "Oh shit!" day that may or may not come. If you pick somethng current that gets the job done repairs are doable anywhere any time for the next 20 years, usually. Storing new formulas doesn't always work like old enamels and lacquers used to. Just a thought...

5window and olscrounger like this.
  10. badvolvo

badvolvo

The paint store I use has a computer scanner, take a sample piece in, they scan it and mix it. It has worked well for me. I am calling them today with a paint code, so this one is easy.

11. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

Thanks for all of the quality input! Keep it coming!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

Ecodesign,
    Beautiful car! The way the light hits the tops of your fenders and hood definitely hints at the lighter cream color in the outdoor pics of the sample car I posted. The indoor color of my sample car looks more like what I usually consider Cordoba Gray. Another question for you or anyone who wants to weigh in: can I ask the guy at Finish Master to make the color lean a bit lighter than darker? I don't want to change the hue, but maybe leave one drop of black out. Has anyone tried?

13. alchemy

alchemy

14. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

Ecodesign,
    Also--your car pic is the closest we've seen to what were looking for. I'm assuming that's a urethane paint; do you happen to know who manufactured it, i.e, PPG, Axalta, etc? Thanks again in advance,
    Lance

15. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

WHOA. How did you do that?? Gonna ask him now-- thank you!

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The Hamb and the inter web . BAM !!

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is urethane, I don’t recall the brand not PPG, a couple more shots, god luck. It looks
    Different with lighting. 955668A5-C35E-4284-ACD0-006CBE7BA1C9.jpeg 6362CDB1-D65E-4F98-968E-4D0D8F186107.jpeg C82A9AB8-3D02-4D28-9D69-4B6473BA7001.jpeg

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks !

19. alchemy

alchemy

I just saw a newish Jeep Renegade on the highway with a very similar color. See if you can find one. It's always nice to have a modern paint code for your local supplier to mix from. Easier to assure a match later down the road too.

20. Lance dunlap

Lance dunlap

Good tip--thanks!

21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The Jeep color is "sting gray" but I think it is darker.

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As others have stated, almost impossible to provide a color suggestion based on a photo on a computer. But Desert Khaki on a Subaru Crosstrec seems like it might be close. Just a suggestion to get another possible modern color code.

23. 5window

5window

Are you sure? :)

24. A Boner

A Boner

First 2 pics are tarnish grey. The 3rd pic is yellowish grey. The 4th pic is pinkish grey.
    I like the first 2 best!

25. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Listen to Claymart! Geez, if you look in a good fleet color book, the only problem you'll have is choosing from the 1000 different shades, and tones, of gray! Literally!

27. Slopok

Slopok

Rather than choose from a book, I would walk the new car dealers lot on a sunny day and find one that appeals to you. Many manufactures now offer what appears to be retro colors.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and Maicobreako like this.