Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Henry Ford's car most people have never heard of

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 4, 2020.

1. Wasn't that illegal to build ? Saw a movie one time of the dangers of that wacky weed.........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It had nothing to do with the Weed side of the Hemp family. There are folks licensed to grow hemp in Washington and Oregon for Hemp oil and the fiber part of the plant gets sold to be processed for fiber to make paper or other things out of . I think I read that same issue of Popular Mechanics that J-Jock did around 1960. The house we were renting had a big stack of Popular Mechanics in a haul closet and I read those times over in the time we lived there.

As much as Henry was against change when it came to the cars he built he was big on experimenting with different things.

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

:D

4. The body panels were said to be 10 times stronger than steel.

[​IMG]

j-jock and Deuces like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We should be using this s**t right now.. All this China Virus has the USA wanting to bring back products made here but there is absolutely no way will anyone especially our government will allow a steel mill to be built again... this could be the answer.. the first car body should be a 32 roadster because all know there is not enough if them ... cheers...

6. I kept looking for information on the photo of Henry Ford swinging a axe at the deck lid of hemp the car, what bothered me was the car appears to be black, I couldn't find any documentation stating that more than one car had be produced and then I ran across this obscure image and text.

[​IMG]

I learned it was Henry's own personal car with a the soybean/hemp deck lid to fit it, He liked to demonstrate it's strength. HRP

j-jock, Flathead Dave and Deuces like this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

.....and built in Dearborn at the Rouge plant.... ;)
    About 5 minutes away from my house.....

8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I saw pictures of the car at the henry ford museum 20 years ago. I don't know about the car before then.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. John, We visited the Henry Ford Museum back in 1988 when we went to the Nationals in Columbus, none of us had been there before and we had some time to kill so we decided to take in the museum before heading back to South Carolina.

I don't remember seeing anything about the hemp car but there was so much interesting things there it could have easily been over looked. HRP

Deuces, 55Belairman and j-jock like this.
  10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Soybean Laboratory was restored in the early 2000’s and is in Greenfield Village. The village underwent a massive restoration in 2002-2003, I was the lead civil engineer for that project. One of the coolest projects I’ve worked on in my career.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and j-jock like this.
  11. The hemp oil, is what is known as CBD. It has none of the THC, which is the psychoactive component of pot, and the CBD is incredibly effective to alleviate some types of pain.
    It has been a miracle for me.
    BTW, CBD is not illegal in a lot of the states in the US, and can be purchased online, and sent legally in the mail. A person would have to check their own state laws.
    Bob

12. Hemp and marijuana are, taxonomically speaking, the same plant; they are different names for the same genus (Cannabis) and species.

"Hemp and marijuana even look and smell the same,"

"The difference is that hemp plants contain no more than 0.3 percent (by dry weight) of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive substance found in marijuana. By comparison, marijuana typically contains 5 to 20 percent THC. You can't get high on hemp."

In other words, Cannabis plants with 0.3 percent or less of THC are hemp. Cannabis plants with more than 0.3 percent THC are marijuana.

That's enough about that, lets keep it on target and on topic, the car. HRP

13. 62rebel

62rebel

Funny how, even back then, the media couldn't resist spreading misinformation (i.e. outright lying) about Mr Ford and his company. Some things never change.

14. As my favorite bard once said -

“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.” Mark Twain

15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

You did an excellent Job.