Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drove the 56 to the barber since he was able to open back up after being shut down for a few weeks. Me and both boys were in serious need of a haircut. I was able to part what usually is a flat top... Also, put together some bee hive parts with the kids in preparation of honey production this year as well as the need to go get some bees out of a tree this weekend.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Lil32 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

BUICK 1.jpeg
    Tackled 1960 Buick LeSabre mirror speedometer rebuild (AKA the first heads up display) BUICK 2.jpeg BUICK 3.jpeg
    First disassembly of the top holding the mirror and the lense
    Every thing on the lens is printed backwards. BUICK 4.jpeg BUICK 5.jpeg
    Removed the speedometer frame out of the can. BUICK 6.jpeg
    The odometer was bad but we still have NOS parts in stock.
    Its a pain getting the odometer set because you have to think backwards to get it set. BUICK 7.jpeg
    Removed the speed indicator cylinder its bad and needs replaced. We also have NOS cylinders in stock. BUICK 7.jpeg BUICK 8.jpeg
    Someone took a grinder to the magnet to get it to clear the bad cylinder so its bad now and needs replaced. BUICK 9.jpeg
    Installed the new recharged magnet and cylinder and installed the test template GM made to calibrate the speedometer on the bench, again you have to think in reverse with movement from right to left instead of left to right. The reversed numbers on the right is for the speed warning option.
    There are only three marked calibration points on the test plate 15mph 45mph and 90mph. BUICK 12.jpeg
    Good at 45mph I have a Old Stewart Warner model 890 Speed analyzer that I also hooked up a pulse generator
    to so I can hook up a digital meter to for fine tuning. BUICK 10.jpeg
    As you can see these weren't the most accurate speedometers made as evidenced by the loose calibration specs. BUICK 11.jpeg
    You also have to have the speedometer sitting at the proper position as it sits in the dash to insure good calibration results. These speedometers are a pain in the ass to work on and get correct. BUICK 14.jpeg
    BUICK 13.jpeg
    Test bench at 60mph Speedo at 60Mph
    Done and Done ready to be shipped back to California.

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx for showing us that process. I remember one '50's speedometer that resembled vintage cash register with tabs poping up in five mph increments but I don't remember make or model. I was always curious about that as well.

Hombre, e1956v and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. went to revenue off to renew the tags on my wrecker and get the title transferred and plated for the 2006 truck my son gave me. Stood in line out on the parking lot a couple hours they had painted lines 6 ft apart. Social distancing ? They only let one person at a time in the courthouse. got the wrecker tag renewed. Needed to assess the 2006 they where closed. Had to return home and call them get the truck assessed and they E mailed me a copy and we printed that and I went back and stood in line a couple hours. Finally got the plates. Then came home and cut up some cattle panels and made a cage to fit the 6 ft bed in the 2006 truck. Going to haul some slaughter sheep to the Koskonog Missouri auction tomorrow. Going to look and maybe buy a pony for the grandsons. All kids need a mean Shetland pony to have storys to tell when they get older.

alanp561, Lepus, charleyw and 5 others like this.
  5. Yep, I had one stubborn little $h!t.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

6. Budget36

Budget36

LMAO, effing liberals ya'll are!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

I had to troubleshoot a 5amp fuse that kept blowing on a 500 amp/480 volt 3 phase battery charger for Submarine batteries.
    Found bad cooling fans for the heatsinks that cools down the SCR's. Spent 4.5 hrs removing/testing and installing 2 out of the 5 fans. I still have 3 more left to test tomorrow and replace if needed.

Then I came home to find my wife had painted the living room wall, but used an oil base Kilz primer on top of a latex based wall paint. Then used latex paint again on too of the oil based primer. So now my wall looks like a week old sunburn ready to be peeled!

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Me and my neighbors are ready for grass this season!

Bones 11A98D64-9357-49F1-B75B-21CDBCA22913.jpeg D315AC7C-5192-4786-87EF-1E3EBF4AF350.jpeg

Bones

Hombre likes this.
  9. Went yard hunting....found what I needed and can use........saw a 1963 Ford Wagon that should have made it out....

Lil32 likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are so cool..

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brought my 1939 Indian Sport Scout from storage.. Going to Donut Derilicks in Huntington Beach at 6:30...pictures from there...

Truckdoctor Andy, Hombre and Lil32 like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe it is a first of the month deal, but people bought a few things from me on eBay today. Good to know people have food money and "hobby" money again. Bob :)

jakespeed63 and Hombre like this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ran a tap into frame. Pounded on floor pan some to flatten tin where body bolts go (driver side done). Still marking and redoing wood block's (kit :rolleyes:) that go under cab. Maybe tomorrow repeat on other side.

LAROKE, jakespeed63 and Hombre like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Managed to bore the ports to a fixed location at least at the gasket surface. Have figured out to spot the angles with a ball end mill for a reference to hand work. I just thought of something; making them alike will garantee that if one is good then all are good and if one is bad, ah shoot.....................

15. 2E758A8C-1AF5-469C-866D-1326FFAEC0D8.jpeg

E9BB2346-EA69-4F4D-9DEE-AD1BAA4BC7EF.jpeg

I dropped off this 1957 Willy’s CJ-5 Jeep and this 1955 Chevy Belair in Truth Or Consequences, NM.

I had picked them up at The Anacortes Ferry Terminal in Washington where they made the trip from Orcas Island.

Because of state restrictions on road travel - I met the owner at Walmart right off Interstate 25.

I dove each one to his house about 7 miles away.

Then he gave me a guided tour of the lake & hydroelectric dam built between 1910 - 1916 along with cabins and rock terraces built as Public Works Projects.

Jim

3CEE42C5-88A3-469F-86A3-DD29C13664DC.jpeg

4F63D2DE-811D-4217-B28E-A91E2DEF7DC3.jpeg

alanp561, DenverFlash, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  16. Lil32

Lil32

have one for me "glazed"
    we were supposed to flyover Thursday for 6 weeks
    BUT the virus ruined all plans
    DSCN1730.JPG

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Going racing today, for the first time this year!

Bones
    DDBBC4FF-9EE6-41F6-BEEE-E84F182E8917.jpeg

18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Finished the oil pan install with new gasket, refilled with fresh oil and new filter.

Started refilling the cooling system, found a leak at the water neck. Hit four auto parts stores before finding one that could sell me a new O ring. Had the usual conversation where they ask “year make and model”, followed by “no, that’s not going to work”.

Polished up the water neck (aluminum) and reinstalled again, with new O ring. Pressure tested with the free tools from AutoZone. I think I got it sealed up this time.

Today, I’d like to put the battery in and go for a shake down trip. But gotta work today, so maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

e1956v and Hombre like this.
  19. Hi beam, Lo beam, parking light, turn signal and ground. All color coded and all connectors only go on one way per wire. Very easy Bob!

David Gersic, GordonC and Hombre like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More today than last week at Donut Derelicts. I’d say at least 50 cars and at times 100 folks. Masks optional but required inside getting coffee and donuts. Just a small coffee for me..Nice morning, bike was perfect after sitting for a year+. Always fun starting it. First kick as normal. I always say “it’s a miracle” just to keep guys wondering. Scrubs Purple 40 looked great as always.. 54328CE3-19FD-4835-AA56-F743735D7E52.jpeg A4715146-EA88-42D7-8F29-5A3BAF5A5344.jpeg 6820736C-4B74-4256-94CC-9CD46DE2E0AB.jpeg

LAROKE, 65pacecar, Sandgroper and 6 others like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truckdoctor Andy and Hombre like this.
  22. Whoever just deleted my last post on finishing up the paint on that truck, you better go back and delete all of the other posts about the same damn truck. I know we focus on pre 65 here, but that's obviously not the focus on this thread. Jeez, there isn't very many post on this thread that are on topic. Better get busy with your delete button.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I guess I never paid any attention to how off topic this thread was. So I locked it, we focus on 65 and older traditional hot rods and customs here......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.