Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your car have a theme or time period?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

That car is timeless.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'53 Chrysler 2D HT.
    There's a sticker on the windshield that I can still read.
    It says... Capital Yacht Club.
    Owned by someone near Washington DC at one time.

Gonna shoot for an early to mid 60s, kid inherits his fairly well-to-do dad's Chrysler and doesn't realize it's a little bit big and heavy and stodgy to be a hot rod even with an RB big block and a 4-speed. But builds it anyway.

jim snow, Stogy and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I was aiming for the early 60s but it might go back earlier. Only if the hood is down. Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Once again, these are all incredible cars. Thanks for sharing. It's very evident, the passion that went into each and every one.
    The Milner Coupe gives me goosebumps. You should see the horrible example, parked in front of Mel's Diner at Orlando Universal Studios. Most people walking by or laying all over, don't have a clue. "58 Chevy is actually fairly cool. "55 Chevy not so much. Would still take any one of them.

5. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I was shooting for an early 60’s mild custom theme. Chrome wheels, wide whites, louvers, two tone paint in period colors with lots of chrome inside and out, white interior, etc... I was born in ‘60 so my perspective of that era is purely retrospective.

F140AD2E-262D-4BCF-8912-DA0972591343.jpeg

Slopok, RustyBullet, jim snow and 9 others like this.
  6. I know. That is the "clone" problem. Too many cars are put in the same category. Thank you for the compliment. I'm really blessed to call myself a HAMB guy. I've received so much help here. My car is just a simple testament to what a great hobby we have. Anyone who has help me and cheered me on deserves the credit.

This is a great place.

Ryan did every car person a great favor in creating a place where we can talk, complain, and help each other out. I'm still reading old threads and finding helpful the words of those gone before us. Here, they still have a voice.

Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. That truck is killer. Yours and Moriarity's Corvette to me are classic examples. I'm no expert (born in 1979). Fantastic job.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Black_Sheep like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Belfountain5.jpg

:rolleyes:...There is a Postwar Aviation Theme to this Inspired Hotrod I own but did not build or design...The theme has moved forward as many Hotrods and Themes do as many desire the new and more powerful as time moves forward at the Hamb till 1965.

I tell those that are curious that this represents a Hotrod as one would have seen in 1962/63...why those years... Edelbrock X1, transmission and 327 smallblock bump it right into that timezone with many of the other features plausibly carrying it back to 1947.

That's really the simplicity of it...I hop into a vehicle that would have been as was when I was 2-3 years old and that's kind of trippy to experience with absolute minimum luxuries and convenience...;)

OzMerc39, Koz, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  9. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

chryslerfan55 and jakespeed63 like this.
  10. primed34

primed34

I tried for a mid to late 60's look. Got my driver license in '69. When I redid my coupe in '84 I just did what I would have liked to have had when I was 16. Did it all from memory. Well that and big ass stack of 60's car magazines.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

My car's theme was pretty simple. I wanted to build a car that would take people back in time to any of thousands of dirt and paved circle tracks from the early 60s through about the mid 60s.
    I wanted something that was close enough to something they may have seen on those circle tracks and bring back memories.
    Because of the diversely different tracks, rules, and the time span I was covering, something pretty generic was required, and since I wasn't pinpointing any specific track or time period, my options were pretty open.
    I also wanted something I could enjoy driving around, so that would mean a hood down ride. The car was also built on a limited budget with parts that were on hand. That seemed to enhance the the thought that maybe the car actually did serve time on a circle track, and was thrown together so it could be driven on the street. I think I nailed my theme.

But after 8 years and 60,000+ miles, the redo has gone overboard a bit. Gone is the crude interior for a more user friendly seating area. The redo has also progressed the body and paint work past the point most old race cars would have ever seen, and that troubles me just a little. I'm getting over it with each mile we are adding since the redo.
    Originally, the car sported the blue and white. The red and white is the new look. Gene

Attached Files:

12. Just trying to get em' back on the road and not trying to a'pease anybody.........

Montana1 and jakespeed63 like this.
  13. pnevells

pnevells

We wanted the look of a C/A from mid to late 60's byron meltdown.jpg

bchctybob, Stogy, thehazguy and 5 others like this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My theme? I'd get kicked off the board if I wrote a theme about, no, scratch that. Got confused.

My theme/look is survivor outside, fresh and exciting inside with hidden sounds and period materials done to some pretty good standards. My time period is 2020. I want to get the damn thing done this year!:eek:

15. Builds such as Keith Hill's The Federale Coupe are an extreme example. No detail overlooked, to make a statement.
    We all know, cars like this almost never existed 75 years ago(save for Duesenbergs, Delehayes and Bughati's) but IMHO they raise the bar. A common thread on The HAMB is old world craftsmanship.
    Screen-Shot-2015-11-02-at-4.31.18-PM.png

16. No, it's hard to build to a theme car with 98% aftermarket parts... :cool:

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pier 30.

I has just in that spot, grabbing coffee at Red's Java House.

Such a great spot to take a picture of such a beautiful car!

bchctybob, Stogy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  18. When my father and I built my F-100 we weren’t going for any particular theme/look as such but the end result is something that works for us. IMG_0948.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Like yours but with a road race theme... 20191117_110149.jpg

20. trollst

trollst

I wanted something that reflected my personality, rough and ready, (twenty years ago), looks fast, is fast, looked like a hot rod from front to back, no street rod shit. Still looks dangerous, now has the well worn look, which suits me just fine, as I am well worn. DSC07686.JPG DSC07687.JPG DSC07688.JPG

bchctybob, Stogy, thehazguy and 3 others like this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Going with late 50s early 60s theme with my 46 Olds, it will look stock with OEM [2-tone] paint, trim and steel wheels. The only giveaway will be under the hood, a x-rammed SBC with 6 x 97s.

Stogy and jakespeed63 like this.
  22. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My Nomad's current "theme" is kinda 60s, I'd say. Chrome wheels with spider caps, narrow whitewalls, nothing fancy.
    20170221_163052.jpg 20170215_151202.jpg 20170215_151230.jpg 2018 May 11 217.jpg 2018 May 11 095.jpg

Stogy, Black_Sheep, 1stGrumpy and 8 others like this.
  24. 34Larry

34Larry

Does your car have a theme or time period?
    ===================================================
    Both. I was, and still am into the 60's & earlier HiBoy 33/34 Ford look, patterned after the Bonneville and dry lake cars of times past. I'm still after that look but in "street dress". No pic's here though except for the Avatar which does a pretty good job of hiding why it isn't HAMB friendly.

Stogy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  25. Late 40's early 50's 39/40 Ford tub
    [​IMG]

hfh, Stogy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  26. thehazguy

thehazguy

Late 60's NHRA junior stock look. Poor man's car Cragar S/S in front, steel wheels in the rear. 57 ID-Staging lane.jpg

Stogy, Just Gary, Mark Yac and 7 others like this.
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The theme thing, I guess is more of a new build thing?
    I just looked around at the time{1950s}an put together ideas I liked with what I could think up.

My own hot rod, bob tailed 29A roadster,has very few updates from the time I built it,got running the first time in 1959,but being I do still drive it,a few small things I needed. I do use new tires of same size I had to start with in the early 60s,but are radiel tires now{ cheeper an ride better,no you can't tell me you can tell ,as I go by}. The other updates I needed, was better battery an from gen. to alt. plus a new alum rad. Over all,if you had gone to high school with me,you would see the same hot rod you saw then,but now has chrome headers* vs black paint,an two color seat vs one color. Point is,likely most would call it late 55 to 60s style maybe ?
    Bobtail 28 roadster DB's.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    bchctybob, Stogy, Gotgas and 4 others like this.
  28. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Parnelli Jones won his first NASCAR event in Bremerton Washington in a white 1957 Ford.

IMG_20140903_193625.jpg DSCN6080.JPG 2014-09-20 008.JPG

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Any good build needs a theme and a time period. Otherwise it's just mismatched and a jumble of styles. We don't wear a tuxedo to the shop. We don't wear coveralls to a wedding. And mixing the two isn't appropriate for anything.

30. guy1unico

guy1unico