Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trouble with turn signals on 62 cadillac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, May 1, 2020.

1. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Wondering if anyone can help out have issues with turn signals on my 62 cadillac. All lights are working correctly, i only get the rear passengers blinker working and front passenger blinkers. Also, only my rear 'FIN' blinke is working, but not my rear tail light or front drivers blinkers or fog light they don't work. Wondering if it might just be my turn signal switch? should i remove steering wheel and clean up the turn signal switch? your input would be greatly appreciate it. :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Is the switch under the steering wheel, or is it located further down the column, and actuated by a mechanical cable?

You might want to do some slow, careful work at each of the lights that is not working properly. Make sure the socket is properly grounded to the body, and that the bulbs are good, etc.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. theboss20

theboss20

Sounds like a ground issue...add temporary grounds to see if you can improve it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

not to sure i haven't really checked, but i am going to do that this weekend hopefully i can figure it out. thanks tho :)

5. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

good idea that's what i was thinking of doing i did read some people do grounds on each light, but with a fuse just in case. will do that this weekend thanks for the tip. :)

6. 28F669C2-8589-4EBF-973A-3D72710226F9.jpeg

start at each bulb socket.
    Correct bulbs?
    Not burnt out?
    Pwr at socket?
    Ground at socket ?
    Check the switch
    Power in?
    Power out?
    Flasher relay?
    Wiring?
    Fuse?

sounds like bad grounds, but in about an hour you should have it nailed down with a test light.
    Good luck!

7. theboss20

theboss20

Never a reason to fuse a ground...

8. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

alright will keep that in mind thanks

9. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

i did check the connector for the fog light which is also a turn signal and when i used the test light both wires turn on. when i tested the other opposite male connectors that come from the wireharness one of them the light turned on and then the other one it barely lit up. wasn't as bright and not pushing as much voltage. not sure if i shud ground that portion of the male connector or just ground the female connection that goes in there.

10. theboss20

theboss20

Do what we talked about...take a jumper cable...attach it to ground side of the battery and use it to provide a known good ground to the problem areas. Now We haven’t talked about the vehicle’s system...Is it negative ground? Does the negative post of the battery connect to the engine block or frame?

11. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Do exactly as the person says! Start at the bulbs and work your way back! A wrong bulb can cause a lot of issues!

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Should have added
    A wrong bulb in a socket, even if that bulb works can screw up the rest of the circuit.
    Also seen dual filament bulbs, where one filament burns out or pops and connects itself to the working filament ( or light)
    Causing grief and unadulterated adult words being shouted at volume!

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a color coded wiring diagram from Classiccarwiring.com it will make everything easier 17x11 laminated. About $20....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

i will defintely do that at the bulb. i remember a long time ago i re placed the bulb and saw no changes. :( perhaps it's corroded?. i do remember spraying it with DEXOIT for electronics and saw no changes. going to try again tho.

15. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

i do remember changing the bulb back in the day and it never turned BUT U ARE RIGHT i might have the wrong bulb in there and thats why maybe it is NOT turning on. will look into it this weekend

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

i do remember the ground going from the battery to the ac compressor BOLT NUT and from the BOLT NUT to the frame.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

What do you mean by rear FIN blinke?

18. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

the 62 cadillac has fins on the rear. each fin has a red light plastic cover which is used as a turn signal.

19. theboss20

theboss20

Remove both and clean...then re-install and re-check the lights.

20. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Wow i never thought of that will definitely do that tomorrow. keep ya posted.

21. I have been there a couple of times. The lights can and will do things you thought were impossible until you find the bad bulb.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. 54vicky

54vicky

been a long time but I do not recall the fin light working as a signal.but as most pointed out ground

squirrel likes this.
  23. abc123

abc123

Here are two other things to consider:
    1. Fender-top turn signals (the little rear-facing ones visible to the driver)
    2. Optional cornering lamps that are activated by the turn signal.
    There might be bulb/socket/wiring problems in these that affect the operation of the other turn signal lamps.