Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Need Some Help 32 three window -Barry Lobeck Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duane Curto, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

A few years ago I purchased a 32 three window highboy. It came with all the documentation from Barry Lobeck's speed shop. It was a 1992 build,
    Downs Body glass car. I'm new to a hot rod and would like to find somebody that knows about Barry Lobeck, and Downs Body cars that he sold or put together.
    Appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

e1956v, lucky ink, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  2. Mmm, I was in Barry's shop in 1992 and they had a plastic 3W under construction. I wonder...?

Duane Curto and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Lobeck built high quality cars, good looking coupe !

4. How about some more, bigger pictures.:D 32 Three Window.png

5. This is true.

6. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

I will take some pics of the documentation I have tomorrow thx for the quick reply.
    Looks like a great forum for hot rods !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

8. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

Even came with this book IMG_0577.JPG

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. Yes, but is also has late model street rod ques like billet mirrors and frameless windshield.;)

Duane Curto likes this.
  13. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I wouldn,t call hidden hinges and shaved handles on a 32 traditional either

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

Still learning, thanks for clarifying

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your in real good company, Barry built a lot of first rate , classy cars!

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It looks too street roddy . :p I just had to say it . I am just joshing with you. :D Welcome aboard. Yours is done and running , so you are ahead of the game :cool:

Fortunateson and Duane Curto like this.
  17. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

Thank you, I’ve enjoyed and learned so much reading about the history of hot rods !

18. Barry Lobeck built some beautiful cars but I personally had a run in with him at Knoxville,Tennessee

His trailer was set up and they had the new ensign dash on display with a price on it and I was talking to one of his employees and he was telling Alex and me about the piece, I was holding it in my hand and had just purchased a set of vulcanized running boards and I told the employee I would take the dash insert, I paid him and I was turning around to leave and Barry shouted out at me to wait just a "F--king minute, that piece is not for sale it's my display, He reach out and tried to jerk it out of my hand and Alex gave him a push back.

I told him give me my money back for the running boards & the dash, he said all he wanted was the dash and I told all or nothing, he told his employees to give me my money and stormed off with the dash insert.

Again, he built some very nice cars but he could be a jerk.

Welcome to the site, HRP

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  19. McGee-Scritchfield roadster built in the 1940's has hidden hinges and no door handles, some claim this 32 to be an iconic traditional build.
    tnckmbwa
    Curt R

32 mcgee.jpg

20. Hey Duane,
    The HAMB is a good site. It took less than a day for some one to pick apart your car, your warm feelings about the car and shade the builder. Other than that the HAMB is good, by and large. Enjoy the 32, nice car and good build. Glad you are here.

Curt R

e1956v, Hnstray, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  21. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

Thanks Curt, glad to be part of the hot rod group. I feel good having some connection to Barry Lobeck and Downs bodies, both seem to reflect a great product and this car says just that.

loudbang, lucky ink, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  22. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I disagree (I know you are just messing with the OP). This car screams hot rod to me with the classic Lobek 70's Ohio look although not traditional for HAMB standards. Yeah, I'd change the mirrors and any other billet crap, maybe take off the hood sides depending on what motor is in there. Obviously by looking at my avatar you can tell my tastes:D and this car is pretty similar except doesn't have the bitchin' 392 Hemi I'm putting in mine! :cool:

Duane Curto likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A Lobeck built car, what's not to like, the opportunity to own a Lobeck built car doesnt happen every day.
    Please don't feel compelled to make changes to it to please people here or "fit in", you will never catch that rabbit.
    At a glance the only thing that I see that (might) infringe on the "traditional" aspect are the front four bars.
    A few billet parts (that can be easily unbolted in an hour) may be all that needs to be changed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Duane Curto likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Duane - the Lobeck crews built really good cars - some produced just to sell - some special builds for customers , and some for Barry - as you follow along on this site you find that it is focused on traditional 1965 and older cars - you hopefully will find things to do to your car to personalize it, and support the traditions set by the pioneers of the Hot Rod world

25. dan31

dan31

Lobeck's stuff always looked "right" to me, love your car. That being said a close friend of mine has been a rodders rep for G G's for ever . I've never heard him speak an ill word about anybody, ever, in less you ask him about Lobeck. He says he could be the rudest, most arrogant guy at the show. But that's just a back story, he built beautiful cars.

26. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

Thank you!

27. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

precisionhotrodsandfab.com

Danny Tesar who who worked at Lobeck's and started Precision Hot Rods after Barry passed away may be of some assistance to you ???

28. Much like Wade Hughes set the standard for "Ohio Flames", Lobeck set the bar for the "Ohio Look" with a recognizable attention to stance and wheel and tire combination in particular.

uncle buck, i.rant, lucky ink and 6 others like this.
  29. Duane Curto

Duane Curto

Good to know, thank you. Just trying to research the history on this 28 year old build. Thx again !

lucky ink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Also Larry Brunkala is a t Precision. Google them.