Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical STOP LEAK SNOOKER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montana1, Apr 29, 2020.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You say yours is leaking where the tubes enter the tank s ? So was mine. 11 years ago . I cleaned the area first with soap & water , then with denatured alcohol , then abraided the area the best I could with cut down SS " tooth brushes , then more alcohol ,finally, when I thought it was as clean has I could get it , hightemp JB weld. Like I said , 11 years ago / 30K miles , hasn't leaked a drop ....

Driver50x and Montana1 like this.
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I don't think I would have noticed the difference........the manufacturer should do a little better job insuring that loyal long time customers "notice" that there actually are different versions.
    It says "Radiator" in big letters on one version. Why not "Transmissions" on the other version. If only the "unmarked" version is on the shelf, I can see someone (me) grabbing it by mistake.
    Heck, I went to the store today.......first time in years. Called my wife four times before I got out of the store and still got two things wrong.:D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  3. Yes, yes, no, no,,,

4. Yes, that is exactly the point I was getting at! Looking at the green one, it says radiator, looking at the orange one you have to read the small print at the bottom to see that it says it mixes with all oils.

Oh well, it was only a few bucks and I was back in shape. I was mad at my own folly, but nothing got smoked. I just thought you guys might enjoy a little story and save yourself some frustration if you came across the same stuff. :)

ekimneirbo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

On green acres?

6. Well, yea.
    But at least you had fun !

7. I was thinking about doing the J-B weld, but now it's getting time to fix it with a brass one. I'm glad to hear it works!

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I wonder if the Trans stuff will seal a leaky water pump?
    I usually pull the wrong stuff at the grocery store, but I have been known to screw up in the automotive department also.

Montana1 likes this.
  9. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

the only thing i have ever used that worked was K & W Block Sealer. i have used this and it stopped a 1/4 inch hole in a freeze plug to stop leaking. i have used it to fix a blown head gasket too. my brother turned me on to this back around '63. he used it to seal a cracked head in a '57 pontiac and it was still running fine about 5 years later. this is the only snake oil i believe in.

Montana1 likes this.
  10. when I was a newlywed I confused the KY jelly with the jar of glazing putty....all my windows fell out.:D

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've never been in a position where if something could be repaired , I'd replace it instead , different strokes ( shrug)..

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

I used to put in Bars Leaks w/ water pump lube every time I flushed out a system and installed new antifreeze. Never had a clogging problem and felt the wp lube was important for life of pump seal. Now I can't find a product with wp lube unless I order it online.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I have seen the old Bar's sealer clog up heater cores. I like the silver powder ones or the granulated block savers.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My guess is the systems that stop leak plugs up were already compromised ,I.e. not clean , limed /rusted / partially blocked up before the stop leak ...

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use ground ginger.

Montana1 likes this.
  16. badshifter

badshifter

If you are a "long time loyal customer" of a stop leak product, you are doing something very wrong. Not to mention it was purchased at the dollar store, where most unwanted/unused inventory ends up....

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  17. They sell Peak Anti-freeze there too... same company that sponsored John Force for years. :cool:

Driver50x and ekimneirbo like this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I was refering to the fact that when I was young and every penny of my paycheck was important, many of the cars I could afford had a leak somewhere. Based on that, I would have no problem using one of their products again if a situation dictated that it was "worth a shot" at solving the issue.

So, if I bought it at a NAPA store........that would make it OK ?
    They even make a Stop Leak for A/C leaks.
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=Stop+Leak&referer=semantic&se=1

Montana1 likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can sure tell those of us who are on the older side as it took me going back and looking twice to see the difference.
    A few years go the ot car my daughter was driving wanted to overheat a bit so we took it and had the radiator flushed at a shop and right after that it started loosing coolant that was exiting through the exhaust. leaving a cloud of steam. A can of bars leak fixed back up and I figured that the radiator flush had worked a bit too well on the sealer that had been there before.

Montana1 likes this.
  20. Country Joe

Country Joe

Should we ask?....what happened when you consummated the wedding with the glazing putty?

21. The local car factory put wo in every car on the line.

Montana1 likes this.
  22. No my 34 s

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

[QUOTE A sheet metal screw and an O-ring works good on a leaky gas tank too! QUOTE]

Walking under my old truck I touched a little speck of rust on the bottom of the tank. It started to pee gas. Ran and got a screw and o ring, ran back and screwed it in. Solved. Now about 5-6 yrs later it still doesn't leak but the head of the screw and o ring have disappeared!

24. It's amazing how time gets away from us! I thought you were going to say you needed a bigger screw and O ring! :D:D:cool:

25. Driver50x

Driver50x

Fiberglass resin also works well for plugging a leak on a radiator.

Montana1 likes this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Polyester resin does not have near the bond strength that epoxy resin has plus its very brittle ..

Montana1 likes this.