Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What wheels? Gotta loose the stupid.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Apr 28, 2020.

1. 55FA9EAC-C6AB-4A07-9110-EC95B1033A78.jpeg

not my car, but the same style. Mine white, white top, red interior

I got a set of mustang bullit wheels 18” on it, I know I know there stupid but I got em for almost nothing with brand new rubber.

I like the style of them, but not the size or the offset.

min lowering the car roughly 3” front and rear.

Would like to go with a 15” wheels with a bit of off set but not sure on the style.
    Any suggestions ?

I can probably sell these big donuts and turn them into something more period and car correct.
    I’m not a fan of big wheels, 16” would be the biggest I would want to go.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

chrome slot.jpg I think that car would look good with chrome slots! I have no idea where you would get a set today, they seem to be about the most forgotten wheel out there. When that car was new they were one of the go to wheels.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Chrome reversed on skinny whites or black walls. Radirs on blacks Maybe even Salt Flats on blacks.

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

Something chrome with dual thin-line whites. Supremes?

kiwijeff, Thor1, Just Gary and 4 others like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm, drop top classy vehicle? White stockers 15 5's up front 15 7's out back with dog dish caps would change the attitude some.

6. Wheel Vintiques sells the chrome slots. I bought a set for my '50 Dodge a couple of years ago...

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

chryslerfan55, swade41, egads and 3 others like this.
  8. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

15" Supremes with thin w/w tires would be my choice. Of'course you would need to lower the stance somewhat.

AHotRod, swade41, BigDogSS and 5 others like this.
  9. GeeRam

GeeRam

^This.

BigDogSS, Just Gary and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

The wheel covers and skinny whitewalls fit the look of the car pretty well, actually....too bad you dont have them.

11. No I don’t
    I like the galaxie 500 caps with the spinners
    But there pricy and finding a set of ford steel wheels is proving to be a challenge.

The car came with a set of key stone unilugs with busted centres !!

12. Well what was cool when this car was new were 14" chrome reverse wheels. 14" wheels were cutting edge. ;)

15" astros would look good on it. try rib Radars would work too. or chrome reverse.

13. I like the set up in the Top Photo. If you want to go that route I can pass along a Phone# of a guy. He's in Wa. state. You make a deal and I'll go get you photos of what he has.

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Picture my car a white Merc convertible. I found these NOS 14" wheels last year. They replaced the factory wire wheel covers.

Attached Files:

Deuces, dan31, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

15" wheels (7", if you can fit an 8" great) , big of tire as you can fit. Lower the car with suspension changes, not by using tiny wheels and tires.

Any full size wheelcover will work, dont have to be original or even same manufacturer, you can generally swap out the center emblem.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Supremes and thin whites. Mmmmmmm

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

What ever you do, please don't go the bottle cap/blackwall route. I like 'em, but they've got their place. A classy, drop-top Merc ain't it. Unless it's a 427 4spd....then all bets are off. :eek:

18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Chrome wheels were real popular in that era and look good, I ran chrome wheels and narrow whitewalls on my T-Bird when I had it. They are fairly cheap and available. bird 106.JPG

LOST ANGEL, loudbang, Sky Six and 3 others like this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With your car being white with red interior, I would lean towards chrome OEM reverse , chrome acorn lugs ,and thin red wall tires.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can’t go wrong with American Torque Thrusts!

metlmunchr, dan31, Driver50x and 5 others like this.
  21. I vote this as stated above...but could be somewhat biased in my thoughts too...
    IMG_9674[1].JPG

22. mkubacak

mkubacak

23. 516F5953-72A8-4214-AE74-79A815521B4A.jpeg 2CF274FA-9CF4-4745-BB43-67264E248412.jpeg
    For a lowered cruiser, Astros, chrome steelies(no baby moons) stock with stock caps, or wires(gasp)
    Skinny white walls. Drop the rear a little more.
    Most other wheels are for the hot rod look.
    But I’m biased. I prefer a low rider look over a muscle car look on these big cars.

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe a set of Vintage Foresight Indy mags .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yes! With black wall tires.

sunbeam and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. T Bird wires with skinny whites. The only choice.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My choice would be '67 Merc Comet Cyclone GT "chrome reverse" looking wheel covers. They look traditional...and wouldn't piss off the Mercury "purists" too much:D
    [​IMG]

Bandit Billy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. LOL I had a blue '64 hardtop. I drooped the snout a little bit (about 3/4 coil) and ran black original wheel with chrome lugs nuts and chrome dustcovers on the front. Pinners on the front and fattish black walls on the rear. I could never afford chrome wheels but that is what it would have had if I could afford it.

VANDENPLAS and bowie like this.
  29. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Saw there were several recommendations for Torque Thrusts, my all time favorite wheel, had a set for my T-Bird and ran them part of the time. Chrome wheels and skirts give it a custom look and the Torque Thrusts give it a hot rod look. Depends on the style you are shooting for, wheels really change the character of the car 3.JPG bird 106.JPG

30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Wheel Vintiques Series 64 chrome wheels. They have the vents, come with a decent back space 4" would be my guess for your car and have enough room for bullet center caps center caps... I had a set on my 64 Bonneville, that car took the 15 x 7 with a 4.25" back space....

I bought them at Summit Racing...

Attached Files:

dan31, Gotgas, loudbang and 1 other person like this.