Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Lol,,,,,come on Billy !

You should know that most all old Mopars have wet exhaust manifold bolts .
    Just another trial and tribulation that you must endure to have the Mighty Hemi !

Tommy

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  2. George

George

Actually Mopar used studs so you don't loose the coolant, unless the head side of the stud is the one that decided to screw out. A lot of the bolts going into the block or heads goes into oil or coolant.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Laugh as you may it would not have been a complete weekend without some fuel system leaks to go with those water and oil drips. Upon first start up attempt I sent fuel everywhere from fittings that where mocked up snug but not tight. But after a 20 minute prime session turning the crank while it lubricated (probably overkill but at the suggestion or Eric at Hot Heads), the Hemi roared to life. 20 minutes later I back down the idle on a nice running re-birthed 330 Desoto Hemi. As soon as I host a video I'll get it posted. It sounds wicked, snotty and a bit contagious. I'm not saying you need a mask to visit, but there was corona involved.

Gotgas, tomkelly88, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. As Johnny Carson used to say,,,,,,,” Come on you teaser “ !

We need to see that video soon,,,,,and not any little 10 seconds either,,,,at least a good 45 seconds or better .
    Lol,,,,congratulations man,,,,,,I’ll bet it is awesome !
    Can’t wait to hear it .

Tommy

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  5. George

George

Hopefully not with the starter. You should have pulled the dizzy & int shaft & used a drill motor for priming. The only one point where the rocker arms get oil, plus spinning with starter is rough on the cam break in lube.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did. I actually borrowed a priming tool off the machinist that assembled the short block which took the pace of the intermediate shaft and drove that with a 1/2" drill and a tool I made out of a 3/8th 18" extension bar. I cut off the socket attachment end with the band saw and fashioned a slotted end to turn the priming tool (I didn't want to use a screw driver socket for fear something could come lose down inside the motor so this was one piece). I made a cool little bracket that clamped to the lip on the firewall that held the upper end of the 18" extension which helped hold the drill in position for that long priming session. All I had to do was keep a little downward force on the drill (thanks for the rent-a-drill Wizzard) and set the trigger. My buddy Kim did the hard work of turning the crank for 20 minutes. I get to repay the favor soon when we start his 8BA in his A coupe. That's how it works right? :cool:

When we were done priming I pulled the number one plug and tube to bring it around to TDC and the outside of the tube was drenched in oil (good sign that the priming was successful).

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask and you shall receive

8. Super Billy,,,,,,super !

My son was walking by my room as I started the video,,,,,he stopped and came back and asked about it .
    He really enjoyed it as well .
    I explained that you have done a complete build on this truck and it was many pages long ,,,and the fresh engine build as well .
    I did explain to him that you had not painted it yet,,,,and that it would end up very close to a work of art !
    I pointed out the chrome and polished parts,,,,he loves it .

He was very excited for you,,,,and complimented the sound .

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    loudbang, Hombre, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, that is very nice for you to say and nice for me to hear. I think it will turn out to be a cool truck. As snappy as the throttle is I am thinking it is going to be a handful. For my first Hemi, I am very pleased so far.

loudbang, Hombre, Tim and 2 others like this.
  10. I believe you will have your hands full ,,,,,at 10 to 1 comp.
    These engines produce a lot of torque,,,,it should feel really strong !
    This probably won’t be your last Hemi,,,they are addictive.
    Also,,,,it’s cool that it is one of the Desoto engines,,,,,they don’t get much press .

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    loudbang, Hombre and Stogy like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, I didn't think about it until later but I made my buddy pull that thing around for 20 minutes with the plugs in. :D 10:1 CR and there wasn't a lot of room for long pulls on the ratchet with the fan in there. I had the belt off the alt so it wouldn't turn at least. He counted 15 pulls per revolution, 1revolution per minute. He won't need to go to the gym this week. :cool:

Eric at hot heads is a must have on your cell phone if you play with Desotos or probably any HEMI. A ton of knowledge and as nice as the day is long. I dropped a few dollars down there building this thing but I ended up with something way cool that I'd be proud to pop the hood open at any event.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on this Milestone Sir Billy...damn you make it look easy...peasy...;)

loudbang, Hombre and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Exhaust sounds fantastic, great buzz and rap!

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Stogy, it aint always easy but you never let them see you sweat!

It'll ripple your pant legs at 5 feet. 2 1/4" pipes through SS 22" Porters. Too big a pipe diameter and you lose the tone, like shootin a BB thru a 12 gauge, or a fat woman farting on a pier in the fog.

15. Experienced that have you?

Ben

16. George

George

Gary at QEC (73RR on this Board) ain't bad either...

17. loudbang

loudbang

Well it sounds and runs great. But we know you can't keep a mad polisher down :rolleyes: spotted a few sparkling pieces in that engine compartment. :)

18. Sweet sounding little Hemi.

Bandit Billy, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Cant wait to see it finished, gonna be a head turner.

Bandit Billy, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been trying soooo hard to not polish stuff this time. But when you have the choice of chrome plated brake stuff or cadmium at the same price? What's a guy to do?

Thanks! I aim to please.

I just placed an order with Vintage Air for a Gen II mini with all the trimmings, dropped a grand...ouch! Gotta weld the brackets inside the firewall for the evaporator before I can prep for paint. Thinking a black and Wimbledon white checkered firewall would be a fun project. I may have to carry the theme under the cab...hmmmm

Desoto291Hemi, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After the start up I had a tranny leak, pan was not sealing. Pulled it off, and managed to drop a million gallons of synthetic transmission fluid all over the garage floor. What a mess and it stinks to boot. I had neighbors out walking comment on the stink and the sidewalk is at least 100 feet from the garage. Oh well, clean it up and get back to business right? So I got a new pan for this 46RE tranny and decided to add a drain plug in the corner where the magnet sits. Drilled out the dimple that the magnet sits around, flattened the area with a couple of impact sockets and my 1 ton press, cut a nut in half, rounded it so the magnet would fit around it, welded it in, ground it off nice, beveled the inside radius of the magnet to fit it to my bolt, perfect right?
    upload_2020-5-3_12-54-29.png
    upload_2020-5-3_12-55-32.png
    upload_2020-5-3_12-56-17.png
    upload_2020-5-3_12-57-7.png
    upload_2020-5-3_12-57-45.png
    Of course not! While I was cleaning up the magnet the air gun blew the damn thing out of my hand, it hit the floor and shattered into a billion or more pieces. There are bits of magnet stuck to everything metallic in my garage! No one stocks the damn thing. Nearest one is a Dodge dealer in the Dalles, Or. So I had a brilliant idea, take one of the magnetic hooks that I use to hold stuff on my lift posts and remove the magnet. Worked great, but the hole is too small, I need a 1" hole and it was .75". over to the drill press and I found out that magnets don't like drills. It shattered as well. What fun! Had some friends over to shoot pool and drink the rest of the evening well into the early hours. Now I'm nursing a headache, my garage still stinks, I need a magnet to finish my project, my garage floor is a bloody skating rink, my wife is still sleeping off a hangover, I'm hungry, the restaurants are all closed because of this damn china virus and my bar looks like a tornado went through all up in here! Happy Sunday! Where's the Tylenol?

22. Is there a TSC near you ?
    They carry magnets and they work great,,,very strong as well .
    They carry several different shapes ,,,the best ones are rectangular,,,,,,about an inch wide,,,1.5 inches long .
    These can be epoxied to the pan,,,in a corner,,,or wherever,,,they will stay put .

I think Lowe’s carry something very similar as well .

Tommy

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tractor Supply? I don't think so Tommy. I ordered a couple on line today, they should be here before the weekend. In the meant time I'll bleed the brakes and put the doors back on so I can drive it a bit before tearing it apart for paint.

jmkporsche and loudbang like this.
  24. Lol,,,it’s just magnets .

Tommy

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Tractor Supply in Kelso just next to the freeway.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It moves on its own! That was a fast year. Now to work out some bugs and then tear it apart to paint it!

fauj, agshelby, Shadow Creek and 11 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yeah!

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life is Good...Congrats on that pretty darn Significant Milestone...well worth a hoist of your favorite beverage of choice in Cheers...I'm off to the Fridge now...;)

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  29. SR100

SR100

Cool, but I'm not sure why YouTube considers it comedy...
    upload_2020-5-18_4-48-47.png

30. loudbang

loudbang

OH MY GOD the sun flashing off all that polishing made my eyes squint........................ No wait that was the roadster build. :rolleyes:

Seeing it moving the 442 wheels look pretty good.

Desoto291Hemi, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.