Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

It looks like there is a white 63 Chevy in the background so at least 63?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Chevelle 64 or 65^^^, unless it's a different photo than I'm thinking. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I think your right. When I try to blow up pictures on the app they instantly go back to regular size so unless I save them to my phone and then blow them up I have to make a quick educated guess before the picture shrinks again. . Good call though

loudbang likes this.
  4. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

He was from Scottsbluff, Ne, in far west Nebraska. Saw him run in the 1960's a number of times, on a weekly basis all over the mid west, and was at all Div 5 (NHRA at the time) points meets. Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado., etc., etc
    Was very competitive, very consistent, and held the national record as can be seen in the pix.
    He had different cars as time progressed, but don't remember which ones. Real raceer that knew what he was doing.

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

6. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

In the running for the cover but I believe the best one was chosen. But, we almost made it. alt.jpg

7. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

But look at the "DATES" of Jr. stock !!!! One of the best books ever printed !

8. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The best part is both of those cars are still around and making runs down the track.

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

H.A.M.B. friendly by one year.

KickinAsphalt and Tom 57 150 like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

what is it?

swi66.jpg

mtkawboy, 1947knuck, Todd553 and 2 others like this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Beats me! Looks like part 57 Chevy, part Cadillac, part Ford Cortina.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  12. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Studebaker wagon ?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Shain you nailed it. A 57 Studebaker wagon.

Pat

14. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

loudbang likes this.
  15. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Packard?

loudbang and NHRANUT like this.
  16. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packard!

NHRANUT likes this.
  17. jroberts

jroberts

I believe this is a Packard. Note the tail lights. You could have gotten this Packard with a supercharged engine. The body of Packards and Studebakers of that era are basically the same.

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Damn you guys are good. Now I want both the Studebaker and a Packard. I looked for a Stude with the bumper bullets but could not find one. Then Jroberts mentioned Packard although Mike and wuga mentioned Packard they did not expand on it. Good job everybody and cool cars.

Pat

Attached Files:

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Is there ANYTHING new or did everyone die from Coronavirus ?

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  21. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I've been experimenting with my own version of immunization. Every time another death attributed to the Corona virus in California is chalked up, I pull another cold bottle of Corona Extra out of the ice chest and offer up a toast in memory of the deceased, whomever he/she may have been. Early indications seem to suggest that it's working because there's not as much pain left by the end of the day. The big question remains, what will run out first, all my friends or my pension check. Either way, I'll have a lot of empty bottles to recycle.

On a more somber note, a couple more of the dwindling number of surviving alumni from the University of Junior Stock have departed the scene. Al Provoast passed last week and Ron Garey followed him up a couple of days ago.

Highest regards!

c

22. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

LOL on the beer version of self immunization ! I was beginning to think that I was the only fan of this site left ! I meant my post as a joke and I'm so very sorry to hear about Al Provost and Ron Gary. I remember Mr. Provost as one of the the most friendly racers I ever ran into at Gainesville in 1970.. We always spoke when I would see him at a race over the years. He just saw me looking over his car in 1970 and he came up to me and told me all about it. I was a no body and had just gotten out of the Army in 1969 and started to go to the National events to take up my favorite hobby again after my South Eastern vacation by Uncle Sam beginning in 1966. I never got to meet Ron Gary but I did meet his son when I worked for IHRA. I hope everyone is doing well and getting through this Chinese "Flue" without catching it. I got lucky and move to Lake Placid in Fla. 11 years ago and it seems very few in this county have come down with it. No one in my car club here has caught it and we have a couple who are 93 years young. I'm the youngest at 74. Thanks for the posting Chuck.....I always look foreword to reading your posts.

23. loudbang

loudbang

I always keep an eye out for photos of my favorite subject but finding one I haven't posted yet is tough. :(

24. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Yes we know and you have been one of the guys that keep this site going. We thank you much more than we tell you !

25. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

We recently lost 2 great racers in Al Provoast, and Ron Garey. I always wondered when Ron started racing again in the 80s why he went with a Buick ,and not the Olds cars that he had so much luck with in the early years. Al was one of Stocks all time nice guys. He was always eager with advice to help any racer out with solving a racecar problem. Here is a picture of one of his early Stock racecars. 32130540_1967929163280215_2680820338786304000_n.jpg

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

59 Chevy's sure were popular in the class. George Vogelsberger (sp.) had a Jenkins motored one and a few other people in the NY area one name Freddie Murphy had "Yellow Fever" also a Jenkins motored which was found and resto started. That was 2013 haven't heard from since

Pat

Attached Files:

27. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like D/SA but no front bumper

27.jpg

28. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Springfield was an AHRA track and it does have some sort of bumper roped on to the front.

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like D/SM to me, and the whole front end sheet-metal is held in place with bungy cord/rope/tape. There's even a "pit pin" on the trailing end of the fender (fiberglass replacement fender?). Who knows for sure?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery