Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Double action fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steven Junkersfeld, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Hi, I'm new to the site so be gentle if I make mistakes. I have a 47 Lincoln Continental mild custom with a 331 Cad in it. The fuel pump went south and when I pulled it for a rebuild, I noticed it was a double action pump. Both vacuum ports were left open to the atmosphere, since the Lincoln has electric wipers. Pump is rebuilt, but my question is - should those vacuum ports be left open, or should I thread some brass plugs into them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gently...
    I'm not sure of the answer to that. Somebody will know.
    But I know one thing for sure...
    You're absolutely going to have to show us more pictures of your 331 powered Lincoln.
    And welcome!

Hey guys. Try this while you're stuck at home wondering what else to eat. Super easy, super good. Hot cook-style chocolate pudding poured over vanilla ice cream. You're welcome. LOL

town sedan likes this.
  3. PackardV8

PackardV8

I've got a couple of unknown rebuilt double action pumps on the shelf. Post a photo of yours and maybe we'll both get lucky.

jack vines

4. egads

egads

If I read it right his pump is already rebuilt, You can leave them open and it won't hurt anything.

KoolKat-57 and squirrel like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

During the '60s we used to buy rebuilt fuel pumps from Airtex & AC. Often it would be a dual pump with only the fuel side operational - they had a sheet metal plate over the vacuum end. You could do the same operation. At any rate, you'll want to disable the link to the diaphragm.

6. squirrel

squirrel

It doesn't really matter if you leave them open, or plug them. If you plug them, than insects won't be able to move in.

town sedan and KoolKat-57 like this.
  7. As requested 1202532227.jpg 1202532227.jpg 1202532222.jpg
    1202532227.jpg 1202532222.jpg
    Jack, thanks for the response. I rebuilt my pump and it's good to go, I was just not sure what to do with the vacuum ports.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. Thanks for the reply. I rebuilt the pump myself and it's good to go, but I wasn't sure about the vacuum ports. I figured they've been open since I put the Cad in, but I wanted an opinion from someone smarter than me! Steve

9. egads

egads

Doubt I'm smarter than you, just been there before.:):):)

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Lincoln, Steven.

Hey guys. Try this while you're stuck at home wondering what else to eat. Super easy, super good. Hot cook-style chocolate pudding poured over vanilla ice cream. You're welcome. LOL

11. Worked in a wrecking yard in L.A. in about 1960. We had one of those Lincolns in the yard with a flathead Caddy & hydro. Guess it wasn't too successful.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Been wondering for a long time; think the pump would have enough volumn to be used for maintaining crank case vacuum either by itself or in combo with manifold vacuum to aid ring seal?

13. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt it...but you could give it a try!

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I haven't looked yet but engine is SBF so maybe early years of 221/260 may have had them. At one time ford made a timing cover with a fuel pump mount on each side if no dual diaphragms can be found but those covers would be rare. Engine start up to get the initail vacuum, pump to maintain under heavy throttle and maybe a reservoir for some assist..I only thought of 2-5 inch hg so as not to hamper main seals.

15. jaracer

jaracer

If it bothers you to keep them open, you can install a vacuum line between the ports.

16. I swapped the Cad in using a bell housing adapter and used the stock Lincoln 3 SPDR overdrive.

town sedan likes this.
  17. town sedan

town sedan

One thing, mud daubers. Otherwise leave 'em open.
    -Dave