Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

[​IMG]
    Here's one that would keep you busy for awhile to de-uglify!

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

^^^^^:eek::eek:^^^^^
    That just nasty :D

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. Was trying to work out the doors but it must be made from a Tourer and just to make sure if was Ugly it was painted Lime Green.:confused::rolleyes: JW

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  4. gonzo

gonzo

That one's hopeless.

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

So in nads thread, you mentioned that you should start your own Bucket thread.
    Since this has slowed down, maybe post some stuff here?

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. Good idea. :cool::) JW

loudbang likes this.
  7. gonzo

gonzo

Ive been meaning to start a dedicated thread for the T but it's pretty time consuming, in the meantime I can post progress here. As a bonus I probably won't need to have the argument about whether a glass T is off topic or not.

I've got the motor freshened up and reinstalled. I put a Mellings cam and a set of rings in it. The bores looked really good so I gave them a hone and reassembled. Also used a set of 350 heads with high pressure springs. This ought to bump the compression a little and improve flow.

If anyone needs an SBC in the New England area I know a guy, he's a semi-retired engineer that rebuilds motors in his spare time. He's always got a couple in stock and his prices are very reasonable. He did my heads.
    C6503CB5-BE49-44A6-86B5-4AEB8E80A44A.jpeg 004500D8-F568-416C-9C48-6090C8FF9E5F.jpeg 5E190692-8A26-4C5F-885F-239FD73825DF.jpeg E74924BF-A482-4BD8-BDDD-D5484EF0D7F5.jpeg

8. gonzo

gonzo

This one's back on the market! 3500 bucks.

clist t bucket.jpg

9. Lotta good parts there for the price. Something is wrong with the exhaust, just can't put my finger on it...

brEad, OFT, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  10. Kramer

Kramer

Exhaust brakes.

11. gonzo

gonzo

Now that you mention it, yeah I see it too. Haha.

It was for sale in Long Island last year.
    Looks like they bought it, did some work and now it's back up for sale again. It's a good deal.

I saved a couple pics from when it was for sale before. I hope he's still got the exhaust and interior parts.
    23 T.jpg
    23 T 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  13. frank_a

frank_a
    from New York

Nice re-build pal!

OFT likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: By suggesting you spending time here I meant actually reading some of the thread and grasping the concept. :D
    Maybe educational time. :D

That doesn’t include “Nice re-build pal”, which at this point means nothing :D

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  15. Should have come here along time ago.Larry, you are so polite.:D JW

chryslerfan55, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  16. It would be a coin toss between that one and the Lime Green item.o_O JW

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  17. gonzo

gonzo

The T Bucket History page just melted my face with this post.

[​IMG]

EVL401, slv63, brEad and 7 others like this.
  18. I can see why, thats nice without trying too hard. JW

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  19. Rand Man

Rand Man

I found a bucket for sale in my area. This looks like a torsion bar front suspension to me. Maybe this one isn’t a good candidate to do a more traditional makeover?

Anyway, is anybody familiar with this setup? Was it a kit or maybe a one-of? Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

GuyW, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Looks pretty nice build. Torsion bars for sure. Like to c more pics

brEad and loudbang like this.
  21. Rand Man

Rand Man

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

It looks like a seventies build. I grew up in the seventies so I get it. A few things would have to go, like the lame ass scoop.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  22. Rand Man

Rand Man

One thing I like is that the bed is a bit longer than most of the Fad-T kit cars.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. AndersF

AndersF

Nice proportions on that one. Would response well on traditional treatment.

AmishMike, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

4B7BA809-E7FA-4A1B-BF0E-EDD84D7F2F7E.jpeg

Is this what's referred to as a Stepside Pickup Bed?

25. gonzo

gonzo

This car used torsion bar front suspension, so that's not a deal breaker for me.
    That car has a nice short wheelbase which is good, but the bed hangs off the back too far, in my opinion that would need to be fixed.
    Other than that I think if you changed the tires, rear wheels, intake and steering wheel you'd have a very cool traditional looking T.
    [​IMG]

26. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^^ Wow! Check out what I assume is a per gallon gas price in the background on the right side of the photo above!

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I have the magazine with that photo in it and in that time frame minimum wage was right at 1.25 here in this state. An hour of work then may have bought less gas than an hour of work now does.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Looking at the torsion bar T posted, I notice the following:

1. Round Tube frame rather than a much more common Square (rectangular) Tube. I don't recall this being done until at least the late 60s on some higher end builds, especially with these proportions.

2. Those proportions - having a torsion front with the frame under or behind the grille also seems like 70s or newer, but I'm not positive. I agree that the long bed and rear axle being further back than most is different.

3. Very high mount for the steering box - looks like they were trying to have the steering drag link mimic the suspension link for little to no bump steer. I'd make sure you are okay with the steering from the driver's seat. Not a Corvair, don't recognize it.

4. Plastic M/C remote reservoir - Could be a replacement for a vintage one, but can't ID it either. Most complete M/Cs are under floor, so this is also unusual. The pedal does go under, so the plastic is just a remote.

5. Is that just a bolt-on rear cover or does it have a true quick-change? Front discs too.

6. Someone spent some time channeling the frame but then dropping the floor of the body down for more room. The interior looks like a pro job done in at least the mid to late 70s if not more recently.

7. The windshield posts are not even close to original, but look similar.

Seems like a custom build from someone who did some very nice work and knew what changes they wanted and incorporated them into the build. Either a very experienced and meticulous home builder or a shop doing a single fab with many changes for a discerning customer. It may be a late 60s super build updated with more modern stuff, or a 80s or more recent build, judging from the colors, patterns and accessories.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  29. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yeah, I agree with your analysis. Guess we’ll never know. I tried to go take a look at it, but didn’t hear back from the owner after Saturday afternoon. Now the ad is down. Must have sold. I wasn’t very serious about buying it. Somebody came along and pulled the trigger.

loudbang likes this.
  30. RodStRace

RodStRace

Well, if the new owner goes online, the group may run across any posts.
    It's pretty unique and the guys here seem to have a strong affiliation for these little cars!
    There are things I'd change on the car (as always), but those little details don't ruin the very good bones of the build.

Rand Man, if you are still running that Model A in your avatar, this would be a step down for you. Your A looks like a well sorted, finished car... AND I just looked at some of your older posts and YES, that is a fine Compton coupe!;)

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.